The Student Room Group

how to improve in gcse literature?

hey guys! hope you are all well. I am working at a grade 8 for ocr gcse english literature, and by the end of y11, I am expected to achieve a grade 9. to anyone who has managed to improve their grade significantly in this subject, which books would you recommend reading, or what resources helped you?
thanks a lot!
(set texts: animal farm, jekyll and hyde, romeo and julliet)
English Lit is more about analysing a piece of text for literary devices (adjectives, verbs, metaphors etc) and you have to explain their purpose.

English Language is more about how a text can be interpreted - what sort of connotations or ideas does the text give you? It's more about the general idea of a text.

Try these to improve:
- Past papers (from multiple exam boards, so that you can have more questions to try with)
- Look at sample answers
- Reading in general
- watch tutorials on how to answer certain questions (you'll find these on youtube)
- Properly familiarise yourself with literary devices and practice trying to identify them in a piece of text
- For Literature make sure you familiarise yourself with the texts you're studying ( make a list of themes, quotes and anything else useful!) to revise a text to the maximum, watch movies on the text and watch summary videos
- For Literature also study the context for your texts - it's a good way to get marks!!
- For Language, if it's difficult to write stories then you could try practicing by looking at random images on google and writing a story about it - don't feel that you have to stick to a certain genre when writing a story, in my experience of gcse lang I'd always write horror stories about every image I saw, because that was my favourite genre.
- Make sure that your SPAG (spelling, punctuation and Grammar) is perfect - it's the easiest way to get marks
- Use a thesaurus to use for synonyms for words you frequently you use

e.g. instead of saying:

'Shakespeare shows that in the Tempest Caliban is bad because he uses mean words and it gives a bad idea '

say this:

'Throughout the Tempest, Shakespeare demonstrates that Caliban holds a poor character; due to his use of lexis which insinuate negative connotations'

It's the same thing, but fancier words and it can help you get more marks!
Good Luck!
Original post by emmyq786
hey guys! hope you are all well. I am working at a grade 8 for ocr gcse english literature, and by the end of y11, I am expected to achieve a grade 9. to anyone who has managed to improve their grade significantly in this subject, which books would you recommend reading, or what resources helped you?
thanks a lot!
(set texts: animal farm, jekyll and hyde, romeo and julliet)

i found it quite useful to make mind maps of key quotes from each characters so you can use them with almost every question you get and also mind maps for key themes of the text (including social context as that gets you more marks too) i did try annotating the books but i didn’t find it that helpful. good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest