Minimising Functional..... HELP (Functional Analysis) Watch

johnbarkwith
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Does anyone know how to start this problem (attached) i was given in a functional analysis module...
Attached files
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any conditions on f?

Spoiler:
Show
If you define G(x) = \int_0^x f(t) \, dt and then consider \int_0^1 (v'(x)+g(x)+kx)^2 \,dx for a suitable choice of k, then I think you should get something usable.
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
nope, thats the whole question... only the boundary conditions given on u. im stuck on how to even start
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did you try the spoiler?
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
???
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you click on the

Spoiler:
Show
hidden text

button you will see some hidden text.

But in case it isn't working, here's what I said:

If you define G(x) = \int_0^x f(t) \, dt and then consider \int_0^1 (v'(x)+g(x)+kx)^2 \,dx for a suitable choice of k, then I think you should get something usable.
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
thanks alot for the help, but i still dont understand how that shows that u minimises the functional...
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
i think i need to start at the basics.. is the question asking, show that if you substitute f in for v, then F is minimal..
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, forget the kx term for now. Take \int_0^1 (v'(x)+g(x))^2 \,dx square the integrand, and integrate the 2v'(x)g(x) term by parts (integrating v', differentiating g). You should end up that looks a lot like your functional (+ a constant). But of course \int (v'(x)+g(x))^2 is minimized when v'(x) = -g(x).

I confess I haven't totally worked out how you add in the v(0)=v(1) condition. But if you know v'' = -f, then v'' is determined up to a Ax+B term, so you just need to do a little fiddling with that part (that was why I suggested the kx term, but I'm not sure it's the best approach).
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
how does the g(x) relate to the original question???
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been inconsistent with case: I meant that g(x)=G(x)=\int_0^x f(t) \,dt.
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
I have squared the integrand and integrated by parts, which gives me,

INT(0,1)(V'(x)^2 + g(x)^2)dx + 2 v(1) INT(0,1)f(x)dx - 2 INT(0,1)f(x)v(x)dx

the last term looks like the last term of the functional which is good, im guessing the middle term vanishes when the boudary conditions are introduced but cant see exactly how that is done... but the first term doesnt look like (dv/dx)^2

and ideas....
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
sorry, i used the notation INT(0,1) to be the integral between o and 1 as i didnt know how to insert mathematical symbols
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
looking at it again, we have,

INT(0,1) (dv/dx)^2 - 2INT(0,1)f(x)v(x)dx +INT(0,1)(g(x)^2)dx +2v(1)g(1)

the first two terms are exactly what we need (the functional), but how can we get rid of the second 2 terms???
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The \int g^2 term doesn't matter, it's a constant that doesn't depend on v. Minimising L(v) is identical to minimizing L(v)+const.

As far as showing the v(1)g(1) term cancels, what I'd like to do is show that v(1) = 0. But I haven't been able to see how to do this, and looking at the question again, I'm not sure that you can - I think you need to assume it.

E.g. suppose u = x(1-x). u' = 1-2x, u'' = -2, so f = 2. Then if v(x) = k (const), F(v)=-2k and so it's obvious u doesn't minimize the functional.

So I can only think that what you are meant to be doing is minimizing F(v) for v satisfying v(0)=v(1) = 0. In which case we're done.

Not 100% sure about this though - this isn't really the kind of thing I remember doing in funct analysis.
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
i suppose -u''=f along with the boundary conditions u(o)=u(1)=0 does minimise the functional then as for v=u, v(0)=v(1)=0...

But how is the g^2 term a constant as g is a function of f.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, but you're minimizing the functional w.r.t. v, not f. So f is a fixed function for the purposes of the question - it doesn't change.
johnbarkwith
Rep:
?
your sooooo good at this, are you a lecturer of something...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads