The Student Room Group

Rank my course-choices please!

Hey, I've applied to 5 different undergraduate courses for economics/finance-related degrees. I have no offers yet (as I applied during the Christmas holidays) but I'd like to have a rough idea of where I should firm my choices if I do end up getting multiple offers. So please rank them:
LSE - Finance
UCL - Statistics, economics and finance (if someone has studied this please let me know what it was like)
KCL - Accounting and Finance
Imperial - Economics, finance and data science
City, Uni of London - Finance (Year abroad)

Thanks!
I don't know anything about economics or finance, so I can't help with that, but they are all very good universities! I think its basically personal preference, given none of your choices stands out as objectively better than the others. If a year abroad is important to you, then you should definitely put that one first. Other than that, I would look at accommodation to see if any would suit you better than others, and also the course content to determine which would be most enjoyable for you. If you haven't been to open days for any of them, I would do that to get a general feel for them. I hope you enjoy whichever one you end up at!
Reply 2
thanks for the kind words and advice :smile:
Original post by pangolin :)
I don't know anything about economics or finance, so I can't help with that, but they are all very good universities! I think its basically personal preference, given none of your choices stands out as objectively better than the others. If a year abroad is important to you, then you should definitely put that one first. Other than that, I would look at accommodation to see if any would suit you better than others, and also the course content to determine which would be most enjoyable for you. If you haven't been to open days for any of them, I would do that to get a general feel for them. I hope you enjoy whichever one you end up at!
Original post by Julia6411
thanks for the kind words and advice :smile:

No worries!
You've got three elite universities, one very good one, and one pretty terrible one.
Reply 5
Haha, yep I know. To be fair, city uni of London is apparently good for finance so that's why I applied there. Also, I want to study in London so I had no other choice.
Original post by Trinculo
You've got three elite universities, one very good one, and one pretty terrible one.
Haha, yep I know. To be fair, city uni of London is apparently good for finance so that's why I applied there. Also, I want to study in London so I had no other choice.

Personally, I would take Brunel in clearing for some kind of financial maths or stats over City. But I don’t know what your circumstances are in regard to “London”
Based on prestige:
LSE/Imperial will be the best, it comes down to what course you prefer out of the two
UCL next best
Then KCL
City worst
Reply 8
Yeah Brunel is a biiiiit too far for me
Original post by Trinculo
Personally, I would take Brunel in clearing for some kind of financial maths or stats over City. But I don’t know what your circumstances are in regard to “London”
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
thanks
Original post by Labradoodle1
Based on prestige:
LSE/Imperial will be the best, it comes down to what course you prefer out of the two
UCL next best
Then KCL
City worst
If you want to go into investment banking or management consulting, then you should aim for LSE, UCL, or Imperial - all are target unis. City and I think KCL are semi target usually, City probably being better than KCL due to Bayes Business School being better regarded in that area.

For anything else where you study makes no difference so decide based on the course - quite a few of the courses you have applied to are very different to each other!
Reply 11
okay thanks!
Original post by artful_lounger
If you want to go into investment banking or management consulting, then you should aim for LSE, UCL, or Imperial - all are target unis. City and I think KCL are semi target usually, City probably being better than KCL due to Bayes Business School being better regarded in that area.

For anything else where you study makes no difference so decide based on the course - quite a few of the courses you have applied to are very different to each other!
Hey, I've applied to 5 different undergraduate courses for economics/finance-related degrees. I have no offers yet (as I applied during the Christmas holidays) but I'd like to have a rough idea of where I should firm my choices if I do end up getting multiple offers. So please rank them:
LSE - Finance
UCL - Statistics, economics and finance (if someone has studied this please let me know what it was like)
KCL - Accounting and Finance
Imperial - Economics, finance and data science
City, Uni of London - Finance (Year abroad)

Thanks!

Have you visited? LSE and Imperial are pretty toxic.
Reply 13
I have actually heard that but the high grad salary really interests me haha. Although ideally, id want to get into UCL since it had a good mixture of having a good reputation and not being toxic.
Original post by Muttley79
Have you visited? LSE and Imperial are pretty toxic.
I have actually heard that but the high grad salary really interests me haha. Although ideally, id want to get into UCL since it had a good mixture of having a good reputation and not being toxic.

Salary doesn't make up for being broken
I'm not sure how close the UCL course is to their economics and statistics course? The first two years look similar to me but I may easily be missing something.

If it is a variation of the very highly regarded and established E+S course I think one could make a good argument for it being the best course to graduate in. From reputation its much more of a maths degree variant than some people expect.
Reply 16
Oh okay, thanks
Original post by ajj2000
I'm not sure how close the UCL course is to their economics and statistics course? The first two years look similar to me but I may easily be missing something.

If it is a variation of the very highly regarded and established E+S course I think one could make a good argument for it being the best course to graduate in. From reputation its much more of a maths degree variant than some people expect.
Reply 17
Original post by Labradoodle1
Based on prestige:Submit reply
UCL next best
Then KCL
City worst

In terms of prestige, the course the student has applied for is delivered by "ICBS" (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/economics-finance-data-science/). Would this still come up on their CV as Imperial College, or would you need to put down "Imperial College Business School"?
Original post by nj888
In terms of prestige, the course the student has applied for is delivered by "ICBS" (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/economics-finance-data-science/). Would this still come up on their CV as Imperial College, or would you need to put down "Imperial College Business School"?

Imperial College Business School is part of Imperial College London (it's like one of its faculties), so you would just put Imperial College London on your CV if I'm not mistaken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending