The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

psychology is so hard

I am finding this couse difficult. I dk what to do because coursework are not my thing. Please can someone kindly guide me on this. It is not what I expected at uni tbh
pls can someone reply to this. thkks!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Speak with your personal tutor about it - it's what they're there for! They may be able to offer advice on things, or there may be study skills sessions available you aren't aware of they can point you in the direction of which might help you better plan and execute coursework :smile:
What exactly are you struggling with about the coursework? The above user is right though you should definitely speak to your personal tutor about it, they should be more than happy to help :smile:
Original post by _kvymnnn
What exactly are you struggling with about the coursework? The above user is right though you should definitely speak to your personal tutor about it, they should be more than happy to help :smile:

Original post by artful_lounger
Speak with your personal tutor about it - it's what they're there for! They may be able to offer advice on things, or there may be study skills sessions available you aren't aware of they can point you in the direction of which might help you better plan and execute coursework :smile:

yes there are some help available!! the feedback i receive is not so useful either. For example "it looks like you rushed the paragraph" um okay, but in reality i spent ages on this. It just makes me sad that i enjoyed it so much during a-levels as it was so sciencey, but now the courseworks...absolutely horrific :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
yes there are some help available!! the feedback i receive is not so useful either. For example "it looks like you rushed the paragraph" um okay, but in reality i spent ages on this. It just makes me sad that i enjoyed it so much during a-levels as it was so sciencey, but now the courseworks...absolutely horrific :frown:

So sorry that you are feeling this way. By any chance is the coursework that you are referring to, research methods?
Email your Director of Studies now - and also book yourself a wellbeing appointment https://www.bath.ac.uk/professional-services/wellbeing-service/
The help is there - you just have to reach out for it.
Original post by BubblesBB
So sorry that you are feeling this way. By any chance is the coursework that you are referring to, research methods?

Hey. No no it’s not research methods. Can you guide me on how to do well in courseworks in particular because I feel so lost when it comes to coursework. I’ve done coursework in A-levels so it’s kind of embarrassing that they’re telling me my grammar and outline is messy!! Idk anymore at this point :??
Hey. No no it’s not research methods. Can you guide me on how to do well in courseworks in particular because I feel so lost when it comes to coursework. I’ve done coursework in A-levels so it’s kind of embarrassing that they’re telling me my grammar and outline is messy!! Idk anymore at this point :??

You need to approach your teachers as recommended by artful lounger and McGinger. Coz you need to know exactly what they want as they are your markers. Can you check if they have shared with you a rubric and also an exemplar? Do you have Psych classmates to check in with as well? It's probably easier to have someone walk through with you the requirements f2f.

I am not able to help you because I am not yet an undergraduate student! My experience with coursework is within the IB HL Psychology curriculum where we write essays - read research papers, analyse, make connections to theories and defend our position etc. The formal 20% coursework that I did was a replication of an existing research and I wrote a 2000 words research paper where evaluation of the research methods was part of our requirement.

At undergraduate level, you have other media/formats such as blogs, policy papers, research proposals, posters, oral presentations, group projects etc, right?
I am finding this couse difficult. I dk what to do because coursework are not my thing. Please can someone kindly guide me on this. It is not what I expected at uni tbh

Hi! I graduated from Bath with a psychology degree in 2021. I agree with you, the course is very hard, but there are definitely things you can do to make things easier for yourself. As others have mentioned, I highly recommend having a meeting with your personal tutor. They will be able to give you advice and point you in the right direction of other resources available to you. I also found it very useful to have a kind of study partner. We would swap essays and proofread each other's work before submitting it. This was so helpful, particularly for things such as grammar which you've mentioned struggling with a little.

Also, I found that the psychology department at Bath are incredibly harsh markers. However, many of the optional modules you can choose are for departments outside of the psychology department. For example, every chance I got, I chose to do sociology optional modules. The sociology department mark so leniently compared to the psychology department that if you approach any sociology essay with the same attitude as you would a psychology essay (eg .criticality, balanced arguments etc.) you're practically guaranteed to get a first. I know that in first year you don't have many optional modules, but this is definitely worth bearing in mind for the future.

I really hope things get better for you! Keep working at it and essay writing, course work etc. will start to come much more naturally the more you do it. :smile:
Original post by Tserh1999
Hi! I graduated from Bath with a psychology degree in 2021. I agree with you, the course is very hard, but there are definitely things you can do to make things easier for yourself. As others have mentioned, I highly recommend having a meeting with your personal tutor. They will be able to give you advice and point you in the right direction of other resources available to you. I also found it very useful to have a kind of study partner. We would swap essays and proofread each other's work before submitting it. This was so helpful, particularly for things such as grammar which you've mentioned struggling with a little.

Also, I found that the psychology department at Bath are incredibly harsh markers. However, many of the optional modules you can choose are for departments outside of the psychology department. For example, every chance I got, I chose to do sociology optional modules. The sociology department mark so leniently compared to the psychology department that if you approach any sociology essay with the same attitude as you would a psychology essay (eg .criticality, balanced arguments etc.) you're practically guaranteed to get a first. I know that in first year you don't have many optional modules, but this is definitely worth bearing in mind for the future.

I really hope things get better for you! Keep working at it and essay writing, course work etc. will start to come much more naturally the more you do it. :smile:

hey there.

Thanks for replying.

I got low marks for essays (courseworks). I thought they look and read alright, but i was wrong! as i got 48% :frown:. They say to not focus on multiple things at once, but isn't that the whole point of analysing??

Also, research methods qualitative report in particular is a nightmare. They said the method section is amazing, but the analysis and interpreting the participants responses were horrible apparently, even though i looked at the examples they gave.

I just don't understand how to improve :frown:

Sorry for asking too much!! But how do I calculate the average mark, i am alien in this matter
Original post by BubblesBB
You need to approach your teachers as recommended by artful lounger and McGinger. Coz you need to know exactly what they want as they are your markers. Can you check if they have shared with you a rubric and also an exemplar? Do you have Psych classmates to check in with as well? It's probably easier to have someone walk through with you the requirements f2f.

I am not able to help you because I am not yet an undergraduate student! My experience with coursework is within the IB HL Psychology curriculum where we write essays - read research papers, analyse, make connections to theories and defend our position etc. The formal 20% coursework that I did was a replication of an existing research and I wrote a 2000 words research paper where evaluation of the research methods was part of our requirement.

At undergraduate level, you have other media/formats such as blogs, policy papers, research proposals, posters, oral presentations, group projects etc, right?

They don't mark it. It is the Phd students marking them, so I don't if they're being biased or if my work is genuinely wrong. but of course i do want to learn from my mistakes.

Hi,

We are so sorry to hear that you are struggling with your course and that it has taken us some time to reply to your message. First and foremost it is so important to look after your mental and physical health, there is lots of support on campus as well as online for whatever you might need. Please consider looking at the many options that student services offer: https://www.bath.ac.uk/professional-services/student-support/. Here you will be able to book sessions with counsellors, seek urgent 24/7 wellbeing support and look for advice on a host of different issues.

In regards to academic worries your first port of call is always your personal tutor who will be able to give you advice about your academic work as well help with any personal struggles as well. They will always be willing to help and a great source of contact as you continue throughout university. If you are unsure of who your personal tutor is, please contact your director of studies as they will also be able to help as well as give you the contact information of your personal tutor. Another route is contacting your lecturers, emailing them to set up meetings to discuss your coursework and other assignments further is invaluable.

Another important aspect is also your fellow course mates who also may struggle with certain parts of the course; communicating with others will not only help you feel less alone but you can also learn a lot from your peers. This may include sharing notes from lectures, sharing any advice given by lecturers as well as being study partners.

We hope this is helpful and that you are able to seek the support available, please do not hesitate to ask any further questions.

Sophia (2nd Year Modern Languages Student)

Quick Reply

Latest