Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I withdrew from university a few weeks ago, and at the time a direct debit for 2 months rent went out for about £700. My rent invoice was about £400 so they said they'd refund the difference.

After 2 weeks of phonecalls nagging them, I've now been told that I won't be recieving it becaue I owe ~£1500 in fees. (I knew I owed the fees) This is incredibly annoying as I was relying on that money to live until I get a job. But the thing is, I really can't see the difference between what they've done here, and standing behind me in the queue at the bar and taking my change and going "yoink, this'll come off your fees cheers". They've just dipped their hand into my bank account pretty much and taken a sum to offset against the fees and given me no choice. Apparently I am in debt on "the system" so I cannot be authorised a refund. pffff.

Secondly, it's ridiculous how they've demanded my £1500 fees by 1st Dec, when it's obvious I and many other students coming from lower income backgrounds have clearly borrowed to get there. And yet they still demand that money within 2 weeks of me leaving, it's ridiculous. There isn't a lot of point to this bit, just a rant.

Is there anything I can about the top bit? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Not really to be perfectly honest. It's actually a relatively common practice in accountancy, when a consumer is both a debtor and a creditor. In this instance, you're a debtor for the outstanding fees, and a creditor due to the reimbursement of accomodation costs. I actually think it's probably the best way to do this, as it's their income sections responsibility to keep the risk of bad debt to a minimum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how it works as I didn't have to pay tuiton fees (Scotland ftw! :p:) but don't you get a loan to cover the fees, which you then pay back in installments after you've left uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    I'm not sure how it works as I didn't have to pay tuiton fees (Scotland ftw! :p:) but don't you get a loan to cover the fees, which you then pay back in installments after you've left uni?
    Not necessarily if you drop out this early on.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends if the rent you paid was directly to the university or not, if it was a separate company owned by the University, then I doubt it's legal.

ReputationRep:
    You will have signed a contract authorising the university or its assigns to do exactly this. Your financial problems are not the concern of the university. Tough to accept, but inevitable I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    And you cannot get the tuition fee loan as you have to be in attendance 3 months after the start of the academic year (1st December).

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.