The Student Room Group

A level after Btec???

I am doing last year of a btec course in engineering, but my dream university wants A levels. I am confident that I can do A levels. I will be 20 years old in Sept, my question was can I do A level course after doing Btec course?? If yes then will there be any fees as I'm 19+???
You can but if you're over 19 you will normally have to pay fees - depending on where and how you take this, these may include tuition fees and/or exam entry/registration fees. If you don't have a level 3 qualification already you might be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan (ALL) to cover some or all of these costs. If you do have a level 3 qualification already you may be better off looking at Access to HE courses or degrees with a foundation year, as you can get an ALL regardless of whether you have a level 3 qualification already for an Access course (and if you complete a degree afterwards, the ALL gets written off with an Access course!), while for a foundation year you get funded by SFE in the normal way for degree level study.

Note that if you're planning to do science A-levels they get very expensive to do as an independent student as universities normally expect you to take the science endorsement (practicals) for all science A-levels taken, and this can be easily Β£1000 or more per science A-level taken, on top of any other tuition fees, exam entry fees etc. Which is another thing that doesn't factor in with foundation years or Access to HE courses (although I am aware for some unis access courses aren't routinely accepted by themselves for science degrees due to not exactly covering all the necessary material).
Original post by artful_lounger
You can but if you're over 19 you will normally have to pay fees - depending on where and how you take this, these may include tuition fees and/or exam entry/registration fees. If you don't have a level 3 qualification already you might be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan (ALL) to cover some or all of these costs. If you do have a level 3 qualification already you may be better off looking at Access to HE courses or degrees with a foundation year, as you can get an ALL regardless of whether you have a level 3 qualification already for an Access course (and if you complete a degree afterwards, the ALL gets written off with an Access course!), while for a foundation year you get funded by SFE in the normal way for degree level study.

Note that if you're planning to do science A-levels they get very expensive to do as an independent student as universities normally expect you to take the science endorsement (practicals) for all science A-levels taken, and this can be easily Β£1000 or more per science A-level taken, on top of any other tuition fees, exam entry fees etc. Which is another thing that doesn't factor in with foundation years or Access to HE courses (although I am aware for some unis access courses aren't routinely accepted by themselves for science degrees due to not exactly covering all the necessary material).

Thanks a lot, actually when I arrived in Uk I didn't know after these things as everything is different in my country, the teacher led me to this Btec course, but I didn't know about A levels, I am so confident that I can do A levels because most universities aren't accepting Btec 😭😭😭, anyways I will apply for a foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest