new york - shopping advice Watch

chloe_tee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
am going to new york in feb and was wondering how much money to take and how much stuff I can take back with me without paying import tax?
Jordan1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Firstly make the most of the trip, its an incredible place.
Secondly, in order to bring stuff back from there without being charged, take out tags etc...make the things look used.

Um if your intending to do alot of shopping and touristy things as well as food I would say...
Perhaps $300 for shopping, $200 for food as some places can be pricey depending where you go and how long you are going for, and perhaps $150-200 for touristy things, I would recommend the empire state building, staten island ferry and ice skating in central park!

If you want any more info feel free to PM me

Jordan1990
SilkySmooth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're keen on going inside the Statue of Liberty you need to book that online well in advance, so before you leave.
Jordan1990
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SilkySmooth)
If you're keen on going inside the Statue of Liberty you need to book that online well in advance, so before you leave.
:eek: I didn't think you can do that anymore!

I go to NY next week! Bugger! Don't have the funds to book it either! Bugger Bugger Bugger! :mad:
SilkySmooth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jordan1990)
:eek: I didn't think you can do that anymore!

I go to NY next week! Bugger! Don't have the funds to book it either! Bugger Bugger Bugger! :mad:
You can't go into the top and look out, but you can still go inside the bottom. My cousins who live out there told me before I came to book so I did in a month in advance lol. Don't worry you're not missing out on much, if you could to the top then that would be great, pretty crap just being at the bottom.
Jordan1990
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can't go into the top and look out, but you can still go inside the bottom. My cousins who live out there told me before I came to book so I did in a month in advance lol. Don't worry you're not missing out on much, if you could to the top then that would be great, pretty crap just being at the bottom.
I'll stick with the Empire state building then :woo:
Lell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In terms of import tax-cut the labels off your purchases...ho hum.
SilkySmooth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll stick with the Empire state building then :woo:
http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

A lot less busy/hardly any queues, great views of the ESB and Midtown. Do both if you can. :yep:
chloe_tee
Rep:
?
Firstly make the most of the trip, its an incredible place.
Secondly, in order to bring stuff back from there without being charged, take out tags etc...make the things look used.

Um if your intending to do alot of shopping and touristy things as well as food I would say...
Perhaps $300 for shopping, $200 for food as some places can be pricey depending where you go and how long you are going for, and perhaps $150-200 for touristy things, I would recommend the empire state building, staten island ferry and ice skating in central park!

If you want any more info feel free to PM me

Jordan1990
thanks for the advice!! am so looking forward to it. it's a media trip so am going to nbc studios and new york school of film. will take lots for shopping then! sounds great. where's cheap to eat? only have to pay for lunches for 3 days
SilkySmooth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chloe_tee)
thanks for the advice!! am so looking forward to it. it's a media trip so am going to nbc studios and new york school of film. will take lots for shopping then! sounds great. where's cheap to eat? only have to pay for lunches for 3 days
Not food but make sure you get a Mr Softee chocolate milkshake :coma:

Oh, and an Oreo icecream lol.

You'll see a van on pretty much every block :yep:
Agneisse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chloe_tee)
You probably want something on the go then, a deli or pizza would probably be good (:
chloe_tee
Rep:
?
ooo all sounds good! aside from my nerdy must do NYC agenda i'll eat a lot of junk food!
Kingspharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

A lot less busy/hardly any queues, great views of the ESB and Midtown. Do both if you can. :yep:
Topoftherock is really good, great views on a clear day.

Money... depends how much further the dollar drops (or recovers) by February.
chloe_tee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kingspharm)
Topoftherock is really good, great views on a clear day.

Money... depends how much further the dollar drops (or recovers) by February.
yeah i was thinking about this... shall i wait nearer the time maybe?
Shakey-krfc
Report 10 years ago
I would probably wait seeing as it not long after the bank of England slashed rates which lowered the pound and hope they recover soon and also ask your bank what they charge to withdraw abroad and whether you get trade prices which are always higher than getting ur money from the post office etc, as recently for me although I was charged £3 to withdraw it still gave me more for my money than using the likes of the post office.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads