The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh, I'm also scared that if I tell them I'm going to an Oxford interview (not to tempt fate) they'd decide not to make me an offer. They'd probably be able to deduce from my absence that this would be the case anyway.
OMG!!! who cares
Reply 22
arisk01
because that doesn't happen, you don't get 'recommended for an offer'... let alone told about it

After my interview at QM last year, I got a letter that said the department would be reccomending me for an offer to the uni.
necessarily benevolent
Oh, I'm also scared that if I tell them I'm going to an Oxford interview (not to tempt fate) they'd decide not to make me an offer. They'd probably be able to deduce from my absence that this would be the case anyway.

Don't mention Oxford then, just say you're unable to make the date. They will probably guess that it's an Oxford interview, but they won't demand a reason why you can't make it, and if they do you just tell them "person reasons"
UCL is crap though!
Reply 25
Just to clarify on the "being recommended for an offer" issue - this does not mean that you're extraordinarily cool, it is common practice with universities where the departments have admissions tutors that cannot really make offers themselves but have to tell the university-wide admissions department "We think this guy is alright, and we'd recommend you make him an offer".

And yeah, don't request a different date now, wait until you know whether you have an Oxford interview and when exactly it is.
arisk01
wth would they tell you you've been recommended for an offer

"You've been recommended for an offer" basically means you've got an offer, and someone's going to have to notice something drastically wrong with your application, for you to end up not getting an offer.

Suppose you were applying to UCL to do English. The Admissons Tutor for English is the one who knows whether you'll do well at the university or not, because they're the one who goes over your application, decides what kind of offer you should be made, interviews you (if necessary) etc.

Neither the Admissions Tutor nor the English Department on their own have the authority to make you an offer. The College/University itself gets the final decision. So they don't officially make you an offer, they recommend you to the University, to give you an offer. The University are rarely/never going to reject the judgement of the department though.
tazarooni89
"You've been recommended for an offer" basically means you've got an offer, and someone's going to have to notice something drastically wrong with your application, for you to end up not getting an offer.

Suppose you were applying to UCL to do English. The Admissons Tutor for English is the one who knows whether you'll do well at the university or not, because they're the one who goes over your application, decides what kind of offer you should be made, interviews you (if necessary) etc.

Neither the Admissions Tutor nor the English Department on their own have the authority to make you an offer. The College/University itself gets the final decision. So they don't officially make you an offer, they recommend you to the University, to give you an offer. The University are rarely/never going to reject the judgement of the department though.

Like what? :s-smilie: Sorry I've got myself all worked up now. :p:
footballcrazy12
UCL is crap though!

Seventh best uni in the world. :yep:
necessarily benevolent
Like what? :s-smilie: Sorry I've got myself all worked up now. :p:

lol, there's pretty much nothing I can think of... maybe if the Admissions Tutor is blind and didn't read your application properly, and thought you had 3A's, when in actual fact you had 3E's, then the university might object to giving you an offer :s-smilie:

Don't worry about it, you've got in :p:
ranking is stupid it will only ruin your life if you go to a uni that has crap social life
footballcrazy12
ranking is stupid it will only ruin your life if you go to a uni that has crap social life

To be fair, although UCL is the 7th best university in the world, it's social life isn't wonderful lol...

But I'm in intercollegiate accomodation, and London nightlife is amazing, so it's all good :p:
necessarily benevolent
Like what?

Your posting history here? :rolleyes:
Good bloke
Your posting history here? :rolleyes:

If anything my enlightening posts will just make them think better of me.
necessarily benevolent
If anything my enlightening posts will just make them think better of me.

:rofl:
Reply 35
get a grip lol
Reply 36
why do universities schedule open days/interviews at the same time as other universities? Surely UCL must know a lot of people applying there are also going to be applying to oxford as well?
nemnem
why do universities schedule open days/interviews at the same time as other universities? Surely UCL must know a lot of people applying there are also going to be applying to oxford as well?

That's what I thought too. Unless it's their intention. :eyeball:
nemnem

Just for 'jkes' innit. Maybe they find it fun to watch everyone get all stressed out and stuff?? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Btw, congrats on the UCL thing. I'm sure they will amend it for you...
Reply 39
footballcrazy12
UCL is crap though!

*slaps face, jumps back onto high horse and rides away...*

Well done OP, about time someone got an offer! Been seeing a lot of UCL ?Rejection threads lately.....

Latest

Trending

Trending