The Student Room Group

Do you agree with this statement?

“All religious people are against war and conflict under all circumstances and should never become involved in such activity”​

(This is for my RE and I can't seem to find any ideas)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OMMiner
“All religious people are against war and conflict under all circumstances and should never become involved in such activity”​

This statement is made from a very absolute pacifist stance. Most religions have some version of what western/christian theology calls Just War Theory, which allows the use of force under certain conditions.

So the statement is demonstrably untrue at a practical level (there are currently many religiously motivated wars and there have always been so), and also at a theological level ie Just War Theory and certainly the Jewish, Sikh and Islamic equivalents.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
This statement is made from a very absolute pacifist stance. Most religions have some version of what western/christian theology calls Just War Theory, which allows the use of force under certain conditions.

So the statement is demonstrably untrue at a practical level (there are currently many religiously motivated wars and there have always been so), and also at a theological level ie Just War Theory and certainly the Jewish, Sikh and Islamic equivalents.

Cheers thanks so much.
Lol no
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift

Reply 5
Original post by Little pecker
Lol no

What do you mean?
I'm not a Muslim but my understanding is the term jihad refers to a notion of 'holy war'?
Reply 7
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm not a Muslim but my understanding is the term jihad refers to a notion of 'holy war'?

It can mean that, but it doesn't always (or even usually) mean that. It translates as 'struggle' and can be a struggle towards any praiseworthy aim. It does not on its own imply war.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Yeah, I'm also not Muslim but remember learning about higher jihad and lower jihad at school, where higher jihad is an inner battle to live as a proper Muslim and where lower jihad is that "holy war" you're talking about. But higher jihad is about fighting that very lower jihad so it's probably frowned upon, and lower jihad is what I believe extremists have misconstrued into acts of terrorism.
Reply 9
Clearly not true, the majority of religions are up for a bit of God backed conflict. While I couldn’t be a pacifist, I do respect the minority of religions that have a few more scruples against justifying violence
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by OMMiner
“All religious people are against war and conflict under all circumstances and should never become involved in such activity”

I affirm this statement for all the open-minded religious people who accept another religions, views and opinions on people and don't intend to change people's minds by violence.
Haha no. Read the news and look at the religions of the combatants.
Reply 12
Original post by OMMiner

crusade war and terrorist attacks from several reglious extremist .quite the opposite
Original post by j8ko8
crusade war and terrorist attacks from several reglious extremist .quite the opposite

If we go back in history, we can add Thirty Years' War between the Catholics and protestants too. And the troubles between Northern Ireland and Ireland for another example.
Original post by Kallisto
If we go back in history, we can add Thirty Years' War between the Catholics and protestants too. And the troubles between Northern Ireland and Ireland for another example.

Most of the troubles between Northern Ireland's loyalist unionists and republican nationalists were more tribalist sectarian with political demands rather than religious aims.
There were a few foul religious fanatics adopting 'FGAFU' as their terror group slogan, spewing inflammatory ancient religious propaganda or waging a brutal crime spree with bombs & mass shootings trying to impose their church's/own version of religion onto other people.
But most of the worst culprits were non-religious habitually criminal lowlife whose hobbies included extortion, drug dealing, brothel keeping and bank robberies.
Original post by londonmyst
Most of the troubles between Northern Ireland's loyalist unionists and republican nationalists were more tribalist sectarian with political demands rather than religious aims.
There were a few foul religious fanatics adopting 'FGAFU' as their terror group slogan, spewing inflammatory ancient religious propaganda or waging a brutal crime spree with bombs & mass shootings trying to impose their church's/own version of religion onto other people.
But most of the worst culprits were non-religious habitually criminal lowlife whose hobbies included extortion, drug dealing, brothel keeping and bank robberies.

Yep, the religious aspect is and was largely incidental throughout.
Original post by OMMiner
“All religious people are against war and conflict under all circumstances and should never become involved in such activity”

Christianity, Judaism and Islam all have some concept/justification for a holy war.
Original post by londonmyst

I appreciate your detailed explanations for the cause. I see that I have not considered the political affair in the trouble.
Original post by OMMiner

My opinions aside, have you looked at Chinas early takeovers of Buddhist Taiwan. For the sake of your assignment this may be a gold mine as Buddhism is so pro-life. Really it's just another example of just war theory - still not a bad example.
Reply 19
Original post by OMMiner

It is clearly not the case.
1. Holy scripture often contains prescription or encouragement to war or conflict against out-groups. A quick skim through the Old Testament and the Quran will give you plenty of quotes to refute that premise.
2. Evidence from the real world shows that throughout history to the present day, many religious people being very much pro war and conflict when it suits them.

Quick Reply

Latest