MOT assistant Watch

obnoxious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For my work experience I chose to do something in the mechanics field. I got what I wanted , and I'm working in a car garage in central london.

The job description says I will be involved in welding and being an MOT assistant , what can I expect as a " MOT assistant " ?.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sitting in a car and opperating the controlls
Lights, horn, brakes etc...
Nico_SU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah it won't be anything major. They'll probably give you a check list and have you do the interior while the senior guy will do the oil, exhaust, brake pads etc. Although depending on which year your doing this in (10 or 12 or Uni) then they should show you the underside checks.
obnoxious
Rep:
?
im in year 10
Nico_SU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I don't want to put you off, but when I did my year 10 work experience a few years back, I was used as a bit of cheap labour for the week, as were most of my friends. I would say it depends on the garage your going to. If it's a large multi-national chain like KwikFit then your going to struggle to learn much - you'll probably get banded about all over the show.

If your going to a independant garage though, then you'll probably find that they take great care of you. Because your in year 10 though you might find "experiences" limited. They'll show you the ropes of what's what but I would imagine that because your working with such expensive equipment you might be doing alot of shadowing or simple work, as listed above with the brakes, inicators, etc.

Hope this helps
obnoxious
Rep:
?
cheers mate
mr_cool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did my work experenice as a mechanic. I helped the MOT guy often by operating lights and controls in the car whilst he checked them, and he got me to stick the probe in the exhaust.

When not doing the MOT's I worked with another guy sometimes just watching but I got to so things like pour in the oil, tyre pressures, undo/tighen bolts and fetch him parts.

Overall it was a good change from school and you will get to see what its like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.34%
No - I got the required grades (132)
56.41%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.25%

Watched Threads