The Student Room Group

To those of you studying chemistry, what have you studied so far?

I’m currently in my second year of my Bachelor’s in chemistry at an RG uni, and out of boredom I started to compare what the same course was like at other unis to see how mine compares. TBH, I was a bit disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, I love chemistry. But similar ranking unis seem to cover a much broader (and IMO, more interesting) range of topics, cover topics in greater detail, and cover content that I’m only studying this year in the first year.

You might say that this is something I should have done before I even applied to uni. Well, I did. But after getting a better feel for the subject and realising which bits I find most interesting, I’m in a much better position to judge the quality of a course now than I was 2 years ago.

So, what year are you in and what have you studied/are you studying?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Adurelm
I’m currently in my second year of my Bachelor’s in chemistry at an RG uni, and out of boredom I started to compare what the same course was like at other unis to see how mine compares. TBH, I was a bit disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, I love chemistry. But similar ranking unis seem to cover a much broader (and IMO, more interesting) range of topics, cover topics in greater detail, and cover content that I’m only studying this year in the first year.

You might say that this is something I should have done before I even applied to uni. Well, I did. But after getting a better feel for the subject and realising which bits I find most interesting, I’m in a much better position to judge the quality of a course now than I was 2 years ago.

So, what year are you in and what have you studied/are you studying?

I’m in 2nd year. We did a lot of QM in first year first term and spectroscopy as a whole. 2nd term was more learning about the periodic table, TMs - crystal field theory etc. and organic chem. This year, thus far, we’ve delved further into QM and explored in detail the model for describing MOs in a system w more than 1 electron. Looked at approximations etc. variations theorem etc. More organic chem but based on selectivity to guide us to be able to design and understand the pitfalls of some synthetic routes. Finally, more spectroscopy but in way more depth on NMR and EPR. NMR we’ve covered wayyyyy more now and EPR isn’t rlly taught that much at other unis from what I’ve heard (not at Liverpool uni from the ppl I’ve spoken to). Anyways that’s it this far. Next term is polymers and very materials based I hear
Reply 2
Original post by Muhammad Razak
I’m in 2nd year. We did a lot of QM in first year first term and spectroscopy as a whole. 2nd term was more learning about the periodic table, TMs - crystal field theory etc. and organic chem. This year, thus far, we’ve delved further into QM and explored in detail the model for describing MOs in a system w more than 1 electron. Looked at approximations etc. variations theorem etc. More organic chem but based on selectivity to guide us to be able to design and understand the pitfalls of some synthetic routes. Finally, more spectroscopy but in way more depth on NMR and EPR. NMR we’ve covered wayyyyy more now and EPR isn’t rlly taught that much at other unis from what I’ve heard (not at Liverpool uni from the ppl I’ve spoken to). Anyways that’s it this far. Next term is polymers and very materials based I hear

Interesting, thanks. From what I can tell, other unis place greater emphasis on reactivity and bonding, even having entire modules dedicated to it (not the case at my uni). We looked at MO theory in first year, but only very briefly. We’re supposed to study quantum mechanical theories of bonding next semester so I’ll have to see how that goes.
We also did QM in first year - which was essentially just applying the Schrödinger equation to different models and seeing how this relates to spectroscopy. This year we go into more detail and it becomes more maths-heavy.
Inorganic chemistry is probably the biggest thing that I dislike about my course. Last year we only briefly touched on periodicity, and we only looked at the descriptive chemistry of P-block (no S- or f-block) elements. We also didn’t even touch transition metal chemistry, though there is a detailed module on that this year.

Can you elaborate a bit on the bonding and reactivity you’ve studied? If you’re at imperial, you must’ve done “structure and bonding”, “reactivity at carbon centres”, “electronic states and bonding”, etc.
Original post by Adurelm
Interesting, thanks. From what I can tell, other unis place greater emphasis on reactivity and bonding, even having entire modules dedicated to it (not the case at my uni). We looked at MO theory in first year, but only very briefly. We’re supposed to study quantum mechanical theories of bonding next semester so I’ll have to see how that goes.
We also did QM in first year - which was essentially just applying the Schrödinger equation to different models and seeing how this relates to spectroscopy. This year we go into more detail and it becomes more maths-heavy.
Inorganic chemistry is probably the biggest thing that I dislike about my course. Last year we only briefly touched on periodicity, and we only looked at the descriptive chemistry of P-block (no S- or f-block) elements. We also didn’t even touch transition metal chemistry, though there is a detailed module on that this year.

Can you elaborate a bit on the bonding and reactivity you’ve studied? If you’re at imperial, you must’ve done “structure and bonding”, “reactivity at carbon centres”, “electronic states and bonding”, etc.

Yeah that’s where I’m at. Lol how did u guess? Yh we touched on a lot of reactivity
Which uni?

Quick Reply

Latest