The Student Room Group

edexcel igcse english

so there's english specification a, specification b, second language and literature. which of these should I take? I'm so confused
You only need Literature if you're planning to take Literature later on (for A Levels, for example). Otherwise don't bother.

In terms of Language, you have three options:

Cambridge IGCSE
Edexcel IGCSE Spec A
Edexcel IGCSE Spec B

You've specifically mentioned Edexcel so I'll focus on those.

Spec A is 2 papers that you have to sit, and you have to study an anthology.

Spec B is one single 3 hour long paper, and there's no anthology to study.

Personally my kids always go for Spec B because they want to get it out of the way with the 1 paper, plus they don't enjoy having to study an anthology, but it really is personal preference.

If you don't like the idea of sitting through one 3 hour long exam, you'd be better going for Spec A.
Also, if you have a bad day during the exam (say you're feeling a bit rough or whatever), then doing one single paper means you've basically put all your eggs in one basket, whereas taking Spec A means that if you have a bad day on one paper, at least there's a second paper that you might do better at.

So it's your choice.

I don't know a great deal about the Cambridge exam. I know it's two papers. I think there's an anthology but don't quote me on that.

As for second language, you'd only take that if English isn't your first language. It's for speakers of other languages (much like an English person would take, say, French exam after learning French for a few years).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
You only need Literature if you're planning to take Literature later on (for A Levels, for example). Otherwise don't bother.

In terms of Language, you have three options:

Cambridge IGCSE
Edexcel IGCSE Spec A
Edexcel IGCSE Spec B

You've specifically mentioned Edexcel so I'll focus on those.

Spec A is 2 papers that you have to sit, and you have to study an anthology.

Spec B is one single 3 hour long paper, and there's no anthology to study.

Personally my kids always go for Spec B because they want to get it out of the way with the 1 paper, plus they don't enjoy having to study an anthology, but it really is personal preference.

If you don't like the idea of sitting through one 3 hour long exam, you'd be better going for Spec A.
Also, if you have a bad day during the exam (say you're feeling a bit rough or whatever), then doing one single paper means you've basically put all your eggs in one basket, whereas taking Spec A means that if you have a bad day on one paper, at least there's a second paper that you might do better at.

So it's your choice.

I don't know a great deal about the Cambridge exam. I know it's two papers. I think there's an anthology but don't quote me on that.

As for second language, you'd only take that if English isn't your first language. It's for speakers of other languages (much like an English person would take, say, French exam after learning French for a few years).

thank you thank you

Quick Reply

Latest