The Student Room Group

Can someone confirm how malarial parasites reproduce?

Is this answer correct

How does reproduction happen in malaria parasites?
Malarial parasites reproduce asexually in the human liver and blood cells
They reproduce and burst the cell to spread
Mosquito takes blood meal - the drop in temperature between the human body and the mosquito triggers the parasites to sexually reproduce
There is a 20min window when sexual forms develop burst out of the blood cells and meet to form zygotes with 2 sets of chromosomes
These zygotes undergo meiosis to produce new asexual parasites

(The answer is confusing because I thought malaria parasites only reproduce sexually in mosquitoes)
Reply 1
Original post by joelvivian
Is this answer correct

Mosquito takes blood meal - the drop in temperature between the human body and the mosquito triggers the parasites to sexually reproduce
There is a 20min window when sexual forms develop burst out of the blood cells and meet to form zygotes with 2 sets of chromosomes

(The answer is confusing because I thought malaria parasites only reproduce sexually in mosquitoes)

What is this for? A-level bio?

Malaria can reproduce both sexually and asexually.

Sexually in the mosquito (female anopheles) and asexually in liver and blood cells.

This should help: https://www.malariavaccine.org/malaria-and-vaccines/vaccine-development/life-cycle-malaria-parasite
Original post by joelvivian
Is this answer correct

You may know more about the malaria parasites than I do, but I can confirm that the part with the blood cells is right:

When a mosquito stings, malaria parasites (sporozoites) enter the bloodstream, infest the blood cells like viruses, get in the inner of the cells to proliferate there and burst them when they are enough, spread around the body to infest new blood cells again. When a mosquito stings to leech the contagious blood, the circle begins from the scratch.

That is what I know.

Quick Reply

Latest