So, what's it like? Watch

A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I read the wiki, but it's just something I could read on the website.
I want to know what it is really like at King's.
Eidolon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In what context? The course, the uni, living in London?
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eidolon)
In what context? The course, the uni, living in London?
I mean the Uni in general, including elements of living in London.
The course I know about.

The things I'm interested in mostly:

The variation of people
The academic standard
The area (Guy's campus mostly)
The atmosphere (friendly?)
The things organised by the union - UoL or just King's or both?! And what kind of things?
The accommodation and how easy it is to move out for your 2nd and 3rd years - Are places easy to find?
Eidolon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
The course I know about.

The variation of people
The academic standard
The things organised by the union - UoL or just King's or both?! And what kind of things?
The accommodation and how easy it is to move out for your 2nd and 3rd years - Are places easy to find?
Ok,

Variation of people -- is huge, loads of international students, loads of exchange students come from Europe and the states in the 2nd year either for the whole year or the term, people from all over the UK, state schooled and private schooled, lots of Londoners living at home with their parents, very culturally diverse. I don't think you could get more varied to be honest. And good ratio girls:boys.

Academic standard -- in all honesty King's isn't 'the best', but what I love about them is they are trying to be better. It is a good university, I got AAAAa at college and I chose here although I had offers higher up the league table and I don't regret it. If you put the effort in you will get a lot out of your experience, lecturers are very willing to help able and enthusiastic students.

Area -- Guys is lovely, really pretty too. London Bridge is a good location imo, it is close enough to everything that you get the 'London' experience but also it is slightly on the edge so you can get some peace if you need it.

Atmosphere -- King's is incredibly friendly which was one of the reasons I chose to come here, you are really made to feel welcome. I am still meeting new people in my second year, everyone is really keen to make friends so don't think after freshers that is the end of it.

Union -- Have a look on their websites http://www.kclsu.org and http://www.ulu.co.uk/

Accommodation -- places are easy to find, and you definately have the opportunity to shop around. You are quite unlikely to get halls for a second year so everyone is moving out and you are in good company. They put on a couple of talks last year on house hunting too if you need some guidance.

That was all fairly vague, if you want any more info I will do my best. It is hard to sum up a whole university experience. I think I would just have to recommend coming to an open day or a campus tour and see how you feel. There are always loads of student ambassadors on hand that you can quiz about what King's is really like.
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eidolon)
Ok,

Variation of people -- is huge, loads of international students, loads of exchange students come from Europe and the states in the 2nd year either for the whole year or the term, people from all over the UK, state schooled and private schooled, lots of Londoners living at home with their parents, very culturally diverse. I don't think you could get more varied to be honest. And good ratio girls:boys.

Academic standard -- in all honesty King's isn't 'the best', but what I love about them is they are trying to be better. It is a good university, I got AAAAa at college and I chose here although I had offers higher up the league table and I don't regret it. If you put the effort in you will get a lot out of your experience, lecturers are very willing to help able and enthusiastic students.

Area -- Guys is lovely, really pretty too. London Bridge is a good location imo, it is close enough to everything that you get the 'London' experience but also it is slightly on the edge so you can get some peace if you need it.

Atmosphere -- King's is incredibly friendly which was one of the reasons I chose to come here, you are really made to feel welcome. I am still meeting new people in my second year, everyone is really keen to make friends so don't think after freshers that is the end of it.

Union -- Have a look on their websites http://www.kclsu.org and http://www.ulu.co.uk/

Accommodation -- places are easy to find, and you definately have the opportunity to shop around. You are quite unlikely to get halls for a second year so everyone is moving out and you are in good company. They put on a couple of talks last year on house hunting too if you need some guidance.

That was all fairly vague, if you want any more info I will do my best. It is hard to sum up a whole university experience. I think I would just have to recommend coming to an open day or a campus tour and see how you feel. There are always loads of student ambassadors on hand that you can quiz about what King's is really like.
That's really good, thanks. I was mostly worried about the people as the majority of people I know applying are applying for the UoL name for subjects like Business. And that is one of those subjects that I really don't see the point in - how can so many people have a passion for business and accounting when there are so many more interesting subjects?

I know King's offers other subjects but just like as I say I know mostly people going for that and one lad for Dentistry.
Eidolon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, you will be based at Guy's so day to day you are likely to be in contact with biomedical science, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, physiotherapy, medical and dental students etc. I haven't met anyone studying business that I know of.

In halls there will be more of a mix and depending on what societies or clubs you get involved in you will meet more people again. The good thing about Neuroscience at King's is that there is a common 1st year so you will be in with all of the biomeds/biochems etc. in total about 400 people... you are much more likely to meet people interested in the same academic area as you.
aforalice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's really good, thanks. I was mostly worried about the people as the majority of people I know applying are applying for the UoL name for subjects like Business.
Well we're not short of med & science students here, and there are lots of humanities and law students too. King's is very diverse subject wise compared to some of the UoL colleges like Goldsmiths and Imperial.
LiberiFatali
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The variation of people Diverse. You get people of all races, of different ages etc.
The academic standard. High! You will be surprised at how smart some of your fellow students are!
The area (Guy's campus mostly) Guy's is alright. London Bridge right now is full of roadworks and general construction, but once you get into the heart of campus you are enclosed. Coming out from the Hodgkin building at night for example is beautiful because all the lights are on, and behind the trees is New Hunts House and all the glass :woo: The surrounding area and high street is OK, there is a few decent places for lunch (hot munchies ftw!) and there is a few banks.
The atmosphere (friendly?) Yeah, especially the medical lot! You need to jump into things, but once you do you will find a lot of friendly faces.
The things organised by the union - UoL or just King's or both?! And what kind of things? The KCLSU runs a tight ship. It's organised very well and there is always lot going on.
The accommodation and how easy it is to move out for your 2nd and 3rd years - Are places easy to find? If you mean student accomodation, then I think it's difficult to get a place for your second year. If you are looking to apply for places though, then you really want Great Dover and Wolfson House at the top of your list. Both are walking distance from Guy's (Wolfson is literally right next to the Greenwood lecture theatre). I stupidly put KCH on my list without looking at it's location and it turns out that I need to take a train into campus!
Surprise
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
people: very multicultural with people from all different backgrounds, King's is as diverse as London itself.

academic standard: I don't know about science departments specifically, but generally very good.

area: London Bridge is ok, it's mostly office buildings but there's stuff to do and food to eat on Borough High Street. the bar and club in the student union on Strand Campus are better than the ones at Guy's but they're only across the river.

atmosphere: be friendly and talk to people and everyone will be friendly and talk to you! joining the society for your course is also a good idea.

union: KCLSU always has loads of events on. you can also use all the advice and housing services etc at ULU which is really helpful.

accommodation: it's very easy to find somewhere to live in second year so long as you're not looking for a twelve bedroom house or something. however don't expect (like so many people do after living in halls!) to be able to just walk down the road to get to uni every day.

most likely you won't find anything affordable in zone 1 near campus. pretty much EVERYONE in London has to commute by driving or using public transport to get to where they want to be: it's not one of those little cities where you can wander from one side to the other, so be prepared to accept commuting as part of a daily routine.
Eidolon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Surprise)

accommodation: it's very easy to find somewhere to live in second year so long as you're not looking for a twelve bedroom house or something. however don't expect (like so many people do after living in halls!) to be able to just walk down the road to get to uni every day.

most likely you won't find anything affordable in zone 1 near campus. pretty much EVERYONE in London has to commute by driving or using public transport to get to where they want to be: it's not one of those little cities where you can wander from one side to the other, so be prepared to accept commuting as part of a daily routine.
Most people I know live within walking distance and well within budget. You just have to look
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The course I know about.

The variation of people
The academic standard
Okay, so instead of writing my essay I am replying to your post, so feel privileged! :p:

The variation of people:

There's a huge variation of people!! At my accommodation there's about 20 of us on my floor. This includes two Singaporians (sp?), a guy from Portugal, two Americans on exchange programmes (and we're getting two more when they go), a guy from Dubai, a girl from Spain, a guy from Greece, a girl from India (I think :p:), a guy from Hong Kong, possibly more that I can't remember right now, and I think 9 English people too - this is just on my floor remember! It's really cool to have people from so many places! All of the international students here speak English to an excellent standard, not just in my Halls, but everyone in the uni itself, so nationality is certainly not a barrier.

The academic standard:

Well I can only speak for my subject (law), but it seems very high. For our first essays, the majority of people got 2.1s, and a few even got firsts! I think this shows a great academic standard.

The area (Guy's campus mostly):

Ahh, guys have a wonderful campus! It isn't my campus, however I have been there many times with friends. It's really nice to walk around, but more importantly, it's great for a night out!! Guy's Bar seems to be the most packed bar, and they have started doing a monthly comedy night there, with decent stand ups, so it's cool, plus drinks are cheap too! I think the facilities for hanging around inbetween classes are better at Guy's than the other campuses; you have The Spit, Guy's Bar, and even an on-campus McDonalds!

Very! Everybody is really friendly, and most people just want to make new friends and get to know everyone. And the Med students are a wild bunch!! They have the MADsoc, which had the best Fresher's Week events (eg, three legged pub crawl - you're tied to two other people and are given a map, and you have to find your way to the pubs! And some rubix cube night, where you had to go along in all colours of the rubix cube, and the aim was, by the end of the night, to be dressed in just one colour!)

KCLSU have a load of events; we have a club and a bar at the Strand campus which have themed nights several nights a week, which is mostly pretty good, and they get up and coming bands to play there too.

There's a LOAD of societies you can join, for pretty much any interest you may have, and there's always a load of events going on with them, too.

Accommodation is all great. SSA is the most popular as it is opposite Waterloo Campus. However, with med students, Wolfson is the most popular as it is actually at Guy's Campus. To be honest though, wherever you end up, you will probably end up enjoying it and proclaiming your halls to be the best! Although I can tell you now, I'm at Hampstead and it actually is the best! :p:

Our rooms are massive, we have loads of people on each floor (meaning loads of mates, always people to go out with or watch a film with etc, and parties!!)
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone
This is really really helpful!
Ascient
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
Guy's Bar seems to be the most packed bar, and they have started doing a monthly comedy night there, with decent stand ups, so it's cool, plus drinks are cheap too!
Were you at the last one, by any chance? It was this Monday gone.
tara592
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
is the hampstead accomodation in hampstead? sorry if thats a dumb question but i was looking at that accomodation too, but i got confused coz i thought hampstead was miles away!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (955)
79.92%
Leave (240)
20.08%

Watched Threads