The Student Room Group

can you have a broken bone in your foot and still walk on it?

or does that mean it's just bruised/sprained? it hurts quite a bit but the pain isn't excruciating. also, i can still move it though it hurts when i try to move it up/down.

my other question is, could a potential minor fracture like that heal without any medical intervention
There are loads of little bones in your foot. You can easily fracture or splinter one and still walk on it. I guess it depends on your pain threshold and where in your foot it is. You should definitely speak to your GP or a doctor. Healing small bones can be quite quick when you are young, but it can also take ages if you continue to put pressure on the area. You will need to reduce swelling, reduce the amount of walking or standing you do, and keep in good general health. It's amazing what your body can do, when it has good sleep, good food, and no toxins like alcohol.
Original post by Ciel.
or does that mean it's just bruised/sprained? it hurts quite a bit but the pain isn't excruciating. also, i can still move it though it hurts when i try to move it up/down.

my other question is, could a potential minor fracture like that heal without any medical intervention

from experience, if you keep walking on an injured foot, it'll take an annoyingly long time to heal. you might end up having a messed up foot/being more injury-prone in the future. just because you can move it, doesn't mean you should.

if it hurts, something isn't right. best to see a medical professional, to (at the very least) get some advice, and maybe a scan of some kind.

hope everything goes ok, and it gets better soon :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by constantlearner
There are loads of little bones in your foot. You can easily fracture or splinter one and still walk on it. I guess it depends on your pain threshold and where in your foot it is. You should definitely speak to your GP or a doctor. Healing small bones can be quite quick when you are young, but it can also take ages if you continue to put pressure on the area. You will need to reduce swelling, reduce the amount of walking or standing you do, and keep in good general health. It's amazing what your body can do, when it has good sleep, good food, and no toxins like alcohol.

Original post by bl0bf1sh
from experience, if you keep walking on an injured foot, it'll take an annoyingly long time to heal. you might end up having a messed up foot/being more injury-prone in the future. just because you can move it, doesn't mean you should.

if it hurts, something isn't right. best to see a medical professional, to (at the very least) get some advice, and maybe a scan of some kind.

hope everything goes ok, and it gets better soon :smile:

thanks guys
Original post by Ciel.

You should go get it checked out I know it’s not the same but I dislocated my shoulder at a festival and a trained man put it back in and I I kept using it for a week after but I hurt and I eventually went to the doctor to discover it was broken and got sent for a mri at a different hospital and found out I tore the tissue and had to get a appointment with a professional in shoulder injury’s which took six months and it was cancelled due to nurse strikes and have to wait another month to see them

And if it’s a fraction it could be just as bad but is you foot has gone bruised really fast or is purple and you can see all the vains you should 100% go to the doctor’s
I would get it seen to ciel, I fell down a step onto my parent's boot during lockdown and sprained it. I thought it was just tweaked and went to work (where I was on my feet all day).

It still aches to this day and feels a bit unstable. Walking on injuries like that only makes them work and can cause long term issues.

Hope you are doing well btw :hugs:
Reply 6
Original post by -123-123-
You should go get it checked out I know it’s not the same but I dislocated my shoulder at a festival and a trained man put it back in and I I kept using it for a week after but I hurt and I eventually went to the doctor to discover it was broken and got sent for a mri at a different hospital and found out I tore the tissue and had to get a appointment with a professional in shoulder injury’s which took six months and it was cancelled due to nurse strikes and have to wait another month to see them

And if it’s a fraction it could be just as bad but is you foot has gone bruised really fast or is purple and you can see all the vains you should 100% go to the doctor’s

oh no, that sucks - i know shoulder injuries can be a pain, mine still bothers me from time to time and it's been years.

tbh i can't really see a doctor atm so if anyone has any advice on how to DIY treat an injury like that it would be much appreciated.
Original post by CoolCavy
I would get it seen to ciel, I fell down a step onto my parent's boot during lockdown and sprained it. I thought it was just tweaked and went to work (where I was on my feet all day).

It still aches to this day and feels a bit unstable. Walking on injuries like that only makes them work and can cause long term issues.

Hope you are doing well btw :hugs:

oh no :< sorry to hear you're still experiencing issues with it. hope things get better soon <3

Quick Reply

Latest