The Student Room Group

Universities that are commutable from Reading, UK

Hi. I am from Thailand and I am planning to move to UK for my undergraduate studies in computer science. I plan to apply for universities that are normally commutable from Reading (post code RG1). Does anyone know any decent universities that may take about up an hour to travel from Reading, using public transport like buses and trains?
Hi. I am from Thailand and I am planning to move to UK for my undergraduate studies in computer science. I plan to apply for universities that are normally commutable from Reading (post code RG1). Does anyone know any decent universities that may take about up an hour to travel from Reading, using public transport like buses and trains?
Original post by Intellectual1991

Reading university is the obvious one!
Others include Royal Holloway ( university of London but based in Surrey) Surrey University (train from Reading to Guildford) plus unis based in London like UCL/Kings/ LSE (fast 25 minute train from Reading to London Paddington then underground).
You could also consider Oxford/ Oxford Brookes as there are fairly fast direct trains to Oxford also).
(edited 1 year ago)
Aside from Reading university.....

It's 25-30 minutes to London Paddington from Reading station - so most London universities
It's 25-30 minutes Oxford - so Oxford and Oxford Brookes
It's about 45 minutes to Southampton Parkway - for Southampton (and Solent)
It's just under an hour to Bath Spa (for Bath and Bath Spa universities)
It's just under an hour to Bristol Parkway (but you'd likely need to get another bus to Bristol universities)
It's 40-50 minutes by train to Guildford (for Surrey)
It's about 40-45 minutes to Egham (plus a bus/walk about an hour to Royal Holloway)

Of those for international fees and for compsci Southampton is probably your best option if you have the grades.

Is there a reason for wanting to live in Reading?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi there!

Good luck with the move to Reading and your university search! You'll be happy to hear that the University of Surrey is only a 37 minute train journey from Reading! We are located in Guildford and the train station is right next door to campus (10 minute walk to the centre of campus). You can check out our undergraduate Computer Science degree course here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/computer-science. Do get in touch if you have further questions about the course or the university!

Best wishes,
Alice
Final year Modern Languages student.

Well there is the university of Reading that is probably the closest so you'd be looking at these courses if you went there. Southampton is also doable so you' be looking at Southampton or Solent you could also try Winchester.Can i just ask out of interest why not just stay in halls rather than RG1?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by harrysbar
Reading university is the obvious one!
Others include Royal Holloway ( university of London but based in Surrey) Surrey University (train from Reading to Guildford) plus unis based in London like UCL/Kings/ LSE (fast 25 minute train from Reading to London Paddington then underground).
You could also consider Oxford/ Oxford Brookes as there are fairly fast direct trains to Oxford also).

Oxford itself requires undergraduates to be ordinarily resident in the city living in college throughout the course unless given dispensation to live outside of college by their tutor, and even then they are normally required to live within 25 miles of the city centre as I recall. They're not really keen on commuting students I gather...

Oxford Brookes has no such qualms I'm aware of though!
Hi! I’m from Reading.

Reading Uni is a no brainer.
Winchester is an easy commute, it’s a 30 min train journey and a 15 minute walk to the uni.

There’s also University Centre Farnborough that’s a college but they do university courses and accelerated degrees. If you want the ‘university experience’ I wouldn’t recommend this place.

West London is close by as well. There’s also Brunel University London. I haven’t been to these unis but I know of people that do. Oxford Brooks is reasonably close too, but I’m not sure if the commute.
Thank you all for the response. Sorry I didn’t specify this before, I was already aware of Reading University, and I was more interested in finding out universities outside Reading. Although, I did get useful insights of how good University of Reading is. The reason why I wanted to ask this was because my relatives live there, and they offered me to stay with them during my studies. Accommodation halls and other costs associated wasn’t quite affordable for me, so by living with my relatives food costs and accommodation costs won’t be much of an issue for my budget. So I wanted to look for the universities that are commutable from Reading. But thanks for providing the insights, I will consider applying to them.

Hey @Intellectual1991

Exciting news that you'll be moving to the UK! How are you feeling about that?
I understand you're looking into other universities at the minute, but we do provide Computer Science courses here at Reading University, if you would be interested in looking into any of those options, however there is absolutely no pressure!

Just wanted to drop a note to say we are so happy to answer any questions about living in Reading or uni life in general if you need.

Good luck with the move and university hunting!
Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
Thank you all for the response. Sorry I didn’t specify this before, I was already aware of Reading University, and I was more interested in finding out universities outside Reading. Although, I did get useful insights of how good University of Reading is. The reason why I wanted to ask this was because my relatives live there, and they offered me to stay with them during my studies. Accommodation halls and other costs associated wasn’t quite affordable for me, so by living with my relatives food costs and accommodation costs won’t be much of an issue for my budget. So I wanted to look for the universities that are commutable from Reading. But thanks for providing the insights, I will consider applying to them.

I just want to point out something you might not have considered if you do go to Reading and live there you'll more able to kind of be there or take part rather than if you commuted to some where like Winchester or Southampton (not that they are bad universitys though). It's definitely something to consider.

Also I've been to Readings Campus for a few things and it's probably the prettiest campus you could choose. RG1 is also a great are to live in you are so close to the centre of town it's unreal.

I'm not saying go to Reading if you don't want to, but it's something to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest