The Student Room Group

Should I take A level German?

I am not sure if I should take German for A level, I love learning the language, but I am behind the other people in my class who are taking it. I got a 7 overall in my November mocks, but i was 2 away from an 8. I can translate well, but not form the language well, I got a 6 in my writing. I feel like I will struggle in A level and I am not sure if I should take it. What grades did people get, and how did they find A level?How do you recommend I improve my grade? I am thinking of getting a tutor or taking a course over the summer to get me to a comfortable level for A level, but I am not sure if I will be able to.
Enjoying the language will make studying easier. What aspects of writing do you struggle with - grammar, vocabulary, forming sentences? Practicing German over the summer, even without a tutor, will be helpful for your overall fluency. (You could read articles in German online, listen to a podcast or music, or find a penpal. Better yet if your reading or listening material is on A level subjects.)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Hi! I'm in y12 and take A level German (alongside Spanish and English Language). I really do love it, even more than the GCSE, but I will add it is a step up and is challenging. If your school offers AQA, there are three papers: a listening, reading and writing, writing and speaking. Honestly, the writing in paper 1 focuses on summarising texts and also includes translation (which you have said you can do well). For improving your GCSE grade, it comes down to vocab and practice. Before my GCSEs, I had done pretty much every past paper possible going back as early as the early 2000s, from multiple different exam boards. Even though some of the content is slightly difference, it is still worthwhile as it gets you understanding how exactly the exams work and where your weak areas are. But overall I think German is such an amazing A level and provides you with some of the most exciting experiences out of any subject. The key thing for A Level is having a passion for the subject as it does require consistent work and if you really are interested in it, then it makes it easier. I will add that I got a 9 at GCSE and the greater your initial language ability the better as there does seem to be a large gap between people who achieved different GCSE grades, but this is probably more down to consistent work and effort from those at the top end as we enjoy the subject more.
Original post by imclx
Hi! I'm in y12 and take A level German (alongside Spanish and English Language). I really do love it, even more than the GCSE, but I will add it is a step up and is challenging. If your school offers AQA, there are three papers: a listening, reading and writing, writing and speaking. Honestly, the writing in paper 1 focuses on summarising texts and also includes translation (which you have said you can do well). For improving your GCSE grade, it comes down to vocab and practice. Before my GCSEs, I had done pretty much every past paper possible going back as early as the early 2000s, from multiple different exam boards. Even though some of the content is slightly difference, it is still worthwhile as it gets you understanding how exactly the exams work and where your weak areas are. But overall I think German is such an amazing A level and provides you with some of the most exciting experiences out of any subject. The key thing for A Level is having a passion for the subject as it does require consistent work and if you really are interested in it, then it makes it easier. I will add that I got a 9 at GCSE and the greater your initial language ability the better as there does seem to be a large gap between people who achieved different GCSE grades, but this is probably more down to consistent work and effort from those at the top end as we enjoy the subject more.

I do german and spanish A level as well! I havent seen anyone else with this combo before haha
Reply 4
Original post by immieryrie
I do german and spanish A level as well! I havent seen anyone else with this combo before haha

Neither have I!! How are you finding them?
Original post by imclx
Neither have I!! How are you finding them?

Im enjoying them both! Im finding spanish so much easier though, german grammar is so hard! how are you finding it?
Reply 6
Im enjoying them both! Im finding spanish so much easier though, german grammar is so hard! how are you finding it?

Yes, same!! German grammar is so much more difficult and I think overall it's a much trickier a level! Hopefully spending the summer in Hamburg will help!
Original post by AVeryCoolPerson
I am not sure if I should take German for A level, I love learning the language, but I am behind the other people in my class who are taking it. I got a 7 overall in my November mocks, but i was 2 away from an 8. I can translate well, but not form the language well, I got a 6 in my writing. I feel like I will struggle in A level and I am not sure if I should take it. What grades did people get, and how did they find A level?How do you recommend I improve my grade? I am thinking of getting a tutor or taking a course over the summer to get me to a comfortable level for A level, but I am not sure if I will be able to.

Heya!
What are you planning to do at uni? Is german a-level a requirement? If you like the language and see it as something you want to do in the future then sure. German a-level is much more challenging than in GCSE and you will need to put a lot of effort into it and do more extra reading/speaking. You will be expected to do extra reading and it would help to watch videos/listen to music or get a german study pal :h:. The tutor could help you out as well, check out Study Mind!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 8
Original post by AVeryCoolPerson

Hey, I'm taking German A Level and have been predicted an A. However, German is a tough language and can be quite challenging for non-native speakers. I was in the German school system for 13 years before taking my A Levels, so I'm fluent. However, I know native German speakers who are getting Bs and Cs in their papers because they don't dedicate to the subject -- even as native speakers! So my advice is: take the subjects you are good at, study and revise EVERY SINGLE DAY, watch movies in German, analyse German lyrics and immerse yourself as much as possible. Even if it's setting your phone into German -- everything can make a significant difference. Message me if you have any questions about the subject itself, or also any grammar/language questions you might have in German.
Reply 9

German, Spanish and French over here!
Original post by leoq
Hey, I'm taking German A Level and have been predicted an A. However, German is a tough language and can be quite challenging for non-native speakers. I was in the German school system for 13 years before taking my A Levels, so I'm fluent. However, I know native German speakers who are getting Bs and Cs in their papers because they don't dedicate to the subject -- even as native speakers! So my advice is: take the subjects you are good at, study and revise EVERY SINGLE DAY, watch movies in German, analyse German lyrics and immerse yourself as much as possible. Even if it's setting your phone into German -- everything can make a significant difference. Message me if you have any questions about the subject itself, or also any grammar/language questions you might have in German.

thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest