The Student Room Group

Should I do the EPQ?

At the moment I'm already doing 4 subjects which are all essay based, and I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to be able to balance the revision for my subjects and doing the EPQ. Would it be possible for me to have a balance between them? Also, I do Psychology, Sociology, English lit and Spanish, and I'm already finding revision for English and Spanish quite tough, so I'm considering not doing the EPQ if it'll jeopardize my grades... Any advice?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi so I have 2 questions/points

1) Why are you doing an EPQ? What does this add to your studies?
i.e. Are you doing the EPQ because its an extra qualification and adds to your UCAS points/because an advisor told you to, or because you genuinely want to?

I did an EPQ and found it really helpful when applying for Uni as it gave me lots to talk about, it also allowed me to write about two subjects I studied in different classes, which was good as I applied for a joint honours degree, so my EPQ let me explain why I felt they worked well together.

But its also a lot of work, its meant to act like an introduction to university style work- no one is going to tell you the answer to your question, or even where to find the answer.

on that note:

2) Do you know what you want to write about already? (this may be linked to q1, but worth being a separate point)

If you know what you want to write about, maybe start talking to a teacher of that subject or the EPQ lead in your school to see if they can offer some advise as to how feasible your idea is, and how much work it might be. Start planning now and thinking about how much time you might want to dedicate, and decide if you're willing to do so.

If you don't know, then this links back to the why do you want to do an EPQ question. If you have no idea of a topic you might want to explore, then unless you think of one in the next few months it's probably worth not doing it. You need to be passionate and interested in your EPQ topic. If you're unsure spend some time thinking if there's a particular area of the subjects you're studying now you want to look at more indepth.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!
Original post by yummyyumyum
At the moment I'm already doing 4 subjects which are all essay based, and I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to be able to balance the revision for my subjects and doing the EPQ. Would it be possible for me to have a balance between them? Also, I do Psychology, Sociology, English lit and Spanish, and I'm already finding revision for English and Spanish quite tough, so I'm considering not doing the EPQ if it'll jeopardize my grades... Any advice?
Original post by yummyyumyum

Only consider taking the EPQ if you drop one of your 4 A levels.

The EPQ’s usefulness depends on what it’s about and which unis/courses you are applying to.
bump
Hi! I did three A-Levels with an EPQ and it was great! In my opinion, I think three and EPQ is more valuable and more manageable than four A-Levels alone (you won’t be able to do an EPQ too).

If you are worried about dropping don’t be! Lots of people do and three and an EPQ is very respectable. Why do you want to do four and an EPQ? Is it for uni or just for interest?

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest