The Student Room Group

Can’t read number plates, driving test is on Monday HELP

Hi, I have my driving test on Monday but I can’t read number plates from 20m away and only noticed this today. From around 14-15m I can read them though. What can I do? Does this mean I need glasses?

Scroll to see replies

Probably, yees
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I have my driving test on Monday but I can’t read number plates from 20m away and only noticed this today. From around 14-15m I can read them though. What can I do? Does this mean I need glasses?

Yes probably. Go into Boots or another opticians and buy a pair of glasses with the lenses already in, there should be a few with some of the most common prescriptions. Get the prescription that works best for you, maybe ask if you can go outside and check if you can read a number plate on a nearby car from far away before buying. Use the glasses during the test.
Then after the test you can look into getting a proper eye test and finding the exact prescription you need.
Reply 3
How have you been having driving lessons when you can’t see the far? :s-smilie:
Original post by BlueBazooka
buy a pair of glasses with the lenses already in

this is only a thing for reading glasses, which is not what OP needs if they can't see things that are far away...
Yes probably. Go into Boots or another opticians and buy a pair of glasses with the lenses already in, there should be a few with some of the most common prescriptions. Get the prescription that works best for you, maybe ask if you can go outside and check if you can read a number plate on a nearby car from far away before buying. Use the glasses during the test.
Then after the test you can look into getting a proper eye test and finding the exact prescription you need.

Ok thanks, I’ll look into that. I wasn’t sure if I need glasses but the driving instructor never did the number plate test with me
Original post by black tea
this is only a thing for reading glasses, which is not what OP needs if they can't see things that are far away...

Oh right, I didn't know! Thanks for correcting me. Is there anything OP can do then before Monday? Can you buy contact lenses or something with a pre-set prescription?
Original post by Kschu
How have you been having driving lessons when you can’t see the far? :s-smilie:

I can see far, just not make out the exact number plate at 20m…I didn’t think anything was wrong until I tried to oat exactly 20m today
Can you buy contact lenses or something with a pre-set prescription?

No. OP needs to go get an eye test. I can guarantee that they won't be able to get glasses before Monday though.
Reply 9
Oh right, I didn't know! Thanks for correcting me. Is there anything OP can do then before Monday? Can you buy contact lenses or something with a pre-set prescription?

Yh op can order contact lenses and it gets delivered faster than having to go and get glasses from the shop. op just need to know what his eyesight power is.
Original post by Kschu
Yh op can order contact lenses and it gets delivered faster than having to go and get glasses from the shop. op just need to know what his eyesight power is.

Yes I can order glasses online too, do you know roughly what prescription for seeing 15m away would be?
Yes I can order glasses online too, do you know roughly what prescription for seeing 15m away would be?

you need to get an eye test, this is not a job for TSR
Reply 12
The best solution is to go get urgent eye test, know his/prescription, order contact lenses online. I’ve ordered contacts lenses online and they normally get delivered within 1or2 days, they even have next day delivery.
Reply 13
Or maybe an even better solution is to go get urgent eye test and tell them you would like to try contact lenses for a day or so. They let you try them out so you don’t have to order them online.
Original post by Kschu
Or maybe an even better solution is to go get urgent eye test and tell them you would like to try contact lenses for a day or so. They let you try them out so you don’t have to order them online.

Thanks! I’ll phone them tomorrow morning
you need to get an eye test, this is not a job for TSR

I was simply asking for advice. Also I might not necessarily need glasses
I was simply asking for advice. Also I might not necessarily need glasses

there's a pretty high chance you do if you can't see a number plate at 20 metres...
there's a pretty high chance you do if you can't see a number plate at 20 metres...

Surely it’s just a weak prescription though? I didn’t notice any problems before
Reply 18
I hope your problem get solved by monday. Good luck with you driving test!
Thanks! I’ll phone them tomorrow morning
Original post by Kschu
I hope your problem get solved by monday. Good luck with you driving test!

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest