The Student Room Group

Joint honours

Hi. Does anyone know any other universities, besides Exeter and Liverpool, that offer joint/combined honours in a STEM-based subject and a humanities-based subject combo?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KDG Blueberry
Hi. Does anyone know any other universities, besides Exeter and Liverpool, that offer joint/combined honours in a STEM-based subject and a humanities-based subject combo?

You need to nail down your interests a bit more if you want useful advice. A google search for "physics philosophy degree" turns up lots of hits for example, as does something like "chemistry french degree", very few hits for "chemistry history degree".

As above, plus look at the Arts and Sciences degrees offered by UCL and Birmingham.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
You need to nail down your interests a bit more if you want useful advice. A google search for "physics philosophy degree" turns up lots of hits for example, as does something like "chemistry french degree", very few hits for "chemistry history degree".

Hi. Thx for your reply. I'm actually looking for English+science joint honours degrees.
Original post by ageshallnot
As above, plus look at the Arts and Sciences degrees offered by UCL and Birmingham.

Ok, I'll check them out. Thank you.
Try Liberal Arts at Durham
Original post by fooshfee779
Try Liberal Arts at Durham

Hi. I actually have already looked at it, but it's liberal arts only so it doesn't rly match what I I'm looking for.
Hi. Thx for your reply. I'm actually looking for English+science joint honours degrees.

I imagine very few. English lit doesn't really have much thematic, methodological, or practical relation to any of the natural sciences. You might find it offered with linguistics at some unis, and the linguistics content may or may not run towards the experimental side though.

You may want to consider instead what general aspects of the two areas you enjoy and if there are any fields that encompass both of them - for example if you like cultural analysis but also don't mind scientific approaches to things, you may find archaeology interesting as it has both approaches.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
I imagine very few. English lit doesn't really have much thematic, methodological, or practical relation to any of the natural sciences. You might find it offered with linguistics at some unis, and the linguistics content may or may not run towards the experimental side though.

You may want to consider instead what general aspects of the two areas you enjoy and if there are any fields that encompass both of them - for example if you like cultural analysis but also don't mind scientific approaches to things, you may find archaeology interesting as it has both approaches.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Can u pls tell me which universities offer the linguistics + science joint honours courses? I've searched up on ucas and similar but not rly unrelated courses popped up. And I've only seen the science + MFL combinations.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Can u pls tell me which universities offer the linguistics + science joint honours courses? I've searched up on ucas and similar but not rly unrelated courses popped up. And I've only seen the science + MFL combinations.

No I meant you might find linguistics combined with English. Linguistics is also sometimes offered with psychology. You can also combine linguistics with computer science (and psychology and/or philosophy) at Edinburgh through their cognitive science degree.

If you're more interested in the experimental approach to linguistics, UCL has a degree in experimental linguistics specifically too.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi! I can only speak for Lancaster as I'm a student here but we have French/German/Spanish Studies and Computing joint honours courses as well as those languages combined with STEM areas like Psychology and Maths. However, the only Linguistics + Science degree combination we offer is Linguistics and Psychology.

I do Computer Science at Lancaster so I can only talk about my experience there but I've had a lovely time here and would definitely recommend.

Hope that somewhat helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi! I can only speak for Lancaster as I'm a student here but we have French/German/Spanish Studies and Computing joint honours courses as well as those languages combined with STEM areas like Psychology and Maths. However, the only Linguistics + Science degree combination we offer is Linguistics and Psychology.

I do Computer Science at Lancaster so I can only talk about my experience there but I've had a lovely time here and would definitely recommend.

Hope that somewhat helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Hi, Sophia. Thanks a lot for your reply. Does Lancaster offer comp sci + liberal arts combinations, or related courses?
Hi, Sophia. Thanks a lot for your reply. Does Lancaster offer comp sci + liberal arts combinations, or related courses?

Lancaster's course list is here:

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/
I suspect that even if you find this combination then your student experience will be poor. Joint honours degrees are often not well designed or delivered - especially when the subjects are so different.

Is there a reason that you are looking for this combination and not one degree or the other?
Hi there, I'm a second year who studies Physics and Philosophy at Nottingham. I think its a really nice mix of the science and the humanities, and I love the opportunity to study two interesting subjects that aren't usually thought of together, but actually work really well. I've attached the course page here. Let me know if you have any more questions about it, Jonah :smile:

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster University.
Different universities will run natural sciences differently but at Lancaster there is a range of pathways available across all areas of science such as chemistry, biology, physics, maths, psychology, earth science and many more. In first year you get to pick 3 of these pathways which you can then narrow down in future years as your interests progress. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
I know there is also there is also the option to take a non science subject as as your third pathway and throughout your degree 25% of your credits can be in a non science subject.
I personally take chemistry and biology pathways and have really valued the multi-disciplinary approach to learning and I can only imagine this would amplified by taking a non science subject too!
One of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet. Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster University.
Different universities will run natural sciences differently but at Lancaster there is a range of pathways available across all areas of science such as chemistry, biology, physics, maths, psychology, earth science and many more. In first year you get to pick 3 of these pathways which you can then narrow down in future years as your interests progress. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
I know there is also there is also the option to take a non science subject as as your third pathway and throughout your degree 25% of your credits can be in a non science subject.
I personally take chemistry and biology pathways and have really valued the multi-disciplinary approach to learning and I can only imagine this would amplified by taking a non science subject too!
One of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet. Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Hi. I've checked the Lancaster natural sciences course, and it looks great! I do have a question though. Is there a limit to the non-science subjects I am allowed to take as the third pathway.?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi. I've checked the Lancaster natural sciences course, and it looks great! I do have a question though. Is there a limit to the non-science subjects I am allowed to take as the third pathway.?

Hi!

I'm also a Natural Sciences student ambassador at Lancaster University as well as Oliver. Only 25% of your modules can be taken in the non-science subject, the other 75% has to be a science. The only restriction on the choice of subject is that you meet the pre-requisites for the non-science subject, the module has space for you, and that it fits with your timetable.

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions, let us know!

- Bethan (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest