The Student Room Group

Biology, Chemistry, Maths A-levels

I am in year 12 and studying bio chem and maths A levels. I wanted to ask if it would be possible for me to teach myself most of the curriculum for these subjects as my teachers are not good and they do not care for their students. I am afraid that it’s too late for me to transfer sixth forms and I’m stuck here. Pls help
You'd have to purchase good resources. Honestly speaking I only did Maths but if you search up UpLearn - this may be worth purchasing to help you self-teach. Cheaper if u buy it for two years so :smile:
Maths definitely, the others may be a bit hard but you can use YouTubers like allery chemistry he is very good and does full lesson videos
I don’t do bio so idk about that
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Faa.1
I am in year 12 and studying bio chem and maths A levels. I wanted to ask if it would be possible for me to teach myself most of the curriculum for these subjects as my teachers are not good and they do not care for their students. I am afraid that it’s too late for me to transfer sixth forms and I’m stuck here. Pls help

You can, but it’s a lot of work.

I did chemistry (Edexcel), maths (Edexcel) and physics (OCR B) last year and found myself having a lot more difficulty teaching myself physics than chemistry and maths, due to the fact that so few resources for OCR B are available (as no one does it). That being said, which exam boards are you doing?

This may also help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd

I did chemistry (Edexcel), maths (Edexcel) and physics (OCR B) last year and found myself having a lot more difficulty teaching myself physics than chemistry and maths, due to the fact that so few resources for OCR B are available (as no one does it). That being said, which exam boards are you doing?

This may also help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

Original post by abigailk.s
You'd have to purchase good resources. Honestly speaking I only did Maths but if you search up UpLearn - this may be worth purchasing to help you self-teach. Cheaper if u buy it for two years so :smile:

Okay, thank you. I will definitely look into these resources :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd

This may also help:

I am doing Maths (Edexcel) Biology (OCR A) and Chemistry (OCR A). Thank you sm for the link I rlly appreciate it and I’d love to hear any other advice that you have :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lifeofpablo1
Maths definitely, the others may be a bit hard but you can use YouTubers like allery chemistry he is very good and does full lesson videos
I don’t do bio so idk about that

Okayy, I have heard of that YouTuber and I am defo going to be watching his videos. Tbh Chemistry is my worst subject so I really appreciate your help :smile:
Original post by Faa.1
I am doing Maths (Edexcel) Biology (OCR A) and Chemistry (OCR A). Thank you sm for the link I rlly appreciate it and I’d love to hear any other advice that you have :smile:

For maths, any resources work, but if you want anything Edexcel specific, BicenMaths is your best bet.

For OCR A chemistry: MaChemGuy, Mr Murray-Green Chemistry tutorials and Allery Chemistry are your best bets.

For a mixture of subjects, StudyMind and Physics and Maths tutor will be helpful, as they have specific resources sorted by subject and exam board.
Original post by Faa.1

Heya!
there are plenty of resources online that you can use to study on your own from online courses, books and more! There are also plenty of past papers online for you to use as well :h: if it helps, Study Mind offers online courses for bio and chem, and there are also plenty of science resources from practice questions to revision notes for free. For maths check out P&M for past paper resources! YT also has plenty of resources you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Question, im currently doing gcses y11, and I have noticed that one A level has a GLH (guided learning hours) being 360 and each gcse's GLH is 120 so technically doing 10 gcses be easier than 3 A levels. Especially since i thoroughly enjoy 4 of my gcses fm,maths,bio and chem and could easily revise for these for hours a day if I did not feel the guilt that I was wasting my time on these and should use my time on other subjects that I do less well on.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest