The Student Room Group

I’ve given up

I’m a first year at uni and I have no motivation at all. It really sucks because I used to be an A grade student and because I’m so stupid I burnt myself out during the first semester. I have no drive, no ambitions and find no joy in anything anymore. I can’t even write one goddamn assignment and it’s due in on Monday. I hate myself.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a first year at uni and I have no motivation at all. It really sucks because I used to be an A grade student and because I’m so stupid I burnt myself out during the first semester. I have no drive, no ambitions and find no joy in anything anymore. I can’t even write one goddamn assignment and it’s due in on Monday. I hate myself.

Burnout from academia isn't great at all, but if I were you, I would ensure you make some time for yourself to relax and do things you enjoy once you've got the assignment out of the way. Have you started working on the assignment? If so, I wouldn't stress too much over it and do it bit by bit before Monday's deadline. If you haven't started working on it, that isn't ideal, but you can still get it done by the deadline - just make sure you carefully plan your time and take regular breaks. You got this! :smile:
Original post by JT_888
Burnout from academia isn't great at all, but if I were you, I would ensure you make some time for yourself to relax and do things you enjoy once you've got the assignment out of the way. Have you started working on the assignment? If so, I wouldn't stress too much over it and do it bit by bit before Monday's deadline. If you haven't started working on it, that isn't ideal, but you can still get it done by the deadline - just make sure you carefully plan your time and take regular breaks. You got this! :smile:

I literally have done nothing for a month. I’m just disgusted with myself.
Reply 3
I literally have done nothing for a month. I’m just disgusted with myself.

Have you spoken to your academic supervisor about how you're doing in general, it would be wise to have a word with them if you haven't done so already - they're here to support you throughout your studies. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason why you feel demotivated and 'done nothing for a month'? Are you not enjoying the course and/or is it something to do with your private life that's bothering you?

Hey there,

Sorry you're feeling this way, I assure you many of us currently studying have felt this way too!

The best thing I found was to talk your personal tutor and contact your wellbeing services. They are there to help provide support, help you to manage your workload and have a positive experience during your studies.

The main thing that makes me feel de-motivated and burnt out is from the amount of work you get. It's difficult to transition into a bigger workload, living away from home and trying to manage your social life too. It's not easy and it really sucks!

What helped me to start feeling motivated again was trying to just focus on work, this wasn't easy as I swear i'm the biggest procrastinator going, if there was a degree in procrastinating I reckon i'd ace it with flying colours. Writing down what you need to do and when you need to do it by helped. The biggest mistake people do is prioritising a big task that is due soon rather than a small task that isn't as important. However, if you complete the small tasks and get them out the way first this will take a bit of stress off your shoulders and give you more energy and focus to get those bigger tasks done because you won't be subconciously worrying about all these little things you need to do.

As for your assignment that is due in soon, break it apart and do one small bit at a time. E.g, if you need to write 2000 words try and aim for 500 a day. It doesn't seem so bad that way does it? You feel like you're only doing a little bit but by monday it'll be done.

I hope these tips help a bit, remember you're not alone. You'll get your spark back I promise.

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
Original post by JT_888
Have you spoken to your academic supervisor about how you're doing in general, it would be wise to have a word with them if you haven't done so already - they're here to support you throughout your studies. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason why you feel demotivated and 'done nothing for a month'? Are you not enjoying the course and/or is it something to do with your private life that's bothering you?

I’ve always been an anxious person and somewhat of a perfectionist. I liked my course at A-level. However, since I was at uni I just felt so pathetic. Constantly trying to do readings, assignments and catching up with lessons etc. I was also worried about debt and what my future career would look like.

Truth be told, I’m scared of everything. I don’t even remember a time where I’ve lived in the present. There’s never been a time where I’ve not worried about my future career.

Uni has just killed my passion for learning. It’s killed my motivation for anything, even life. I never thought I’d become this person but here we are.
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey there,

Sorry you're feeling this way, I assure you many of us currently studying have felt this way too!

The best thing I found was to talk your personal tutor and contact your wellbeing services. They are there to help provide support, help you to manage your workload and have a positive experience during your studies.

The main thing that makes me feel de-motivated and burnt out is from the amount of work you get. It's difficult to transition into a bigger workload, living away from home and trying to manage your social life too. It's not easy and it really sucks!

What helped me to start feeling motivated again was trying to just focus on work, this wasn't easy as I swear i'm the biggest procrastinator going, if there was a degree in procrastinating I reckon i'd ace it with flying colours. Writing down what you need to do and when you need to do it by helped. The biggest mistake people do is prioritising a big task that is due soon rather than a small task that isn't as important. However, if you complete the small tasks and get them out the way first this will take a bit of stress off your shoulders and give you more energy and focus to get those bigger tasks done because you won't be subconciously worrying about all these little things you need to do.

As for your assignment that is due in soon, break it apart and do one small bit at a time. E.g, if you need to write 2000 words try and aim for 500 a day. It doesn't seem so bad that way does it? You feel like you're only doing a little bit but by monday it'll be done.

I hope these tips help a bit, remember you're not alone. You'll get your spark back I promise.

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:

That’s my problem. Whenever I try to write something, my mind goes blank. I just feel so lost,empty and pathetic. Thing is if I drop out, I’ll just hate myself even more. I’ve been feeling this way for months.
Reply 7
I’ve always been an anxious person and somewhat of a perfectionist. I liked my course at A-level. However, since I was at uni I just felt so pathetic. Constantly trying to do readings, assignments and catching up with lessons etc. I was also worried about debt and what my future career would look like.

Truth be told, I’m scared of everything. I don’t even remember a time where I’ve lived in the present. There’s never been a time where I’ve not worried about my future career.

Uni has just killed my passion for learning. It’s killed my motivation for anything, even life. I never thought I’d become this person but here we are.

Fair enough, I can definitely relate to being a perfectionist, it sucks and you do have to remind yourself that it's okay to make mistakes and learn from them. I think the best course of action you can right now is to speak to your academic supervisor if you haven't done so already and let them know how you're finding first year so far and reach out to well-being services at your university if you feel that's necessary. First year can feel overwhelming, especially when you're trying to settle in and get used to uni life, but you should be fine in the end.

Worries about finances: Speak to student support services to see if you're eligible for any bursaries from the uni and to get advice and support.
Future career: Definitely engage with your uni's careers team and look at how you can develop your CV and employability skills. I would look at getting some work experience in the Summer and/or internships, so you can build up relevant experience in the field you're interested in starting your career. The Bright Network does annual internship experiences in a variety of sectors, so I highly recommend that you check that out when the applications open.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending