The Student Room Group

I want to apply to Medicine but, I dont have A level Biology or Chemistry

I am in my final year and I was previously applying to engineering with physics and maths. But, I changed my mind at the end of year 12. By then, it was too late to change my A levels so I'm planning to complete my current A levels and then take a gap year.

During this gap year I intended to do biology and chemistry A levels in order to apply for medicine in uni. However, that would require me to take the full 2 year A level course most colleges offer. I know there aren't really any ways to apply to medicine without Biology or Chemistry but, are there any more efficient ways to complete both chemistry and biology a levels in perhaps 1 year before applying?

But, there wouldn't be any point to studying for one yer because I would still have to apply after getting the results then waiting a year for the offer. So, in the end I would have still taken 2 years off before going to uni. The issue is also the required practicals. I could self-study then take the A levels but, I don't have the facilities to complete required practicals and I'm not sure where I would find any.

I want to get into a good uni and I'm not sure if a double gap year and a delayed application will affect my chances of getting in... Will having taken these A levels during my gap years affect my uni application?
What A-levels did you take? Newcastle has no subject requirements so you can apply there to start with. However for all other medical schools you will need at least one out of biology or chemistry - obviously having both gives you the most options.

For the science endorsement/practicals, any exam centre offering the A-level science exams have to offer the practicals. However, they are free to charge you for these, which they will, and it is very expensive (~£1000 per science subject). However at the least, taking multiple gap years will make zero difference when it comes to applying to medicine. It's not particularly uncommon for applicants to take at least one, and sometimes more, gap years - and ultimately they only care whether you will meet the requirements and then how you perform in interview if invited.

I would note there is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" uni when it comes to medicine. All medical schools are accredited by the GMC who view them equally, and the only provider of graduate training posts for doctors in the UK is the NHS, who likewise view all medical schools equally. In fact, they will specifically blind applications to ensure that recruiters do not see which medical school you went to, in order to ensure no bias.

Honestly your best bet is probably an Access to Medicine course, rather than A-levels. Note however these may require you to be over a certain age (they normally don't accept school leavers directly), and not all Access to Medicine courses are accepted by all medical schools, so you need to check if the courses you are looking at are accepted by the medical schools you plan to apply to.
Reply 2
Original post by zaereii
I am in my final year and I was previously applying to engineering with physics and maths. But, I changed my mind at the end of year 12. By then, it was too late to change my A levels so I'm planning to complete my current A levels and then take a gap year.

During this gap year I intended to do biology and chemistry A levels in order to apply for medicine in uni. However, that would require me to take the full 2 year A level course most colleges offer. I know there aren't really any ways to apply to medicine without Biology or Chemistry but, are there any more efficient ways to complete both chemistry and biology a levels in perhaps 1 year before applying?

But, there wouldn't be any point to studying for one yer because I would still have to apply after getting the results then waiting a year for the offer. So, in the end I would have still taken 2 years off before going to uni. The issue is also the required practicals. I could self-study then take the A levels but, I don't have the facilities to complete required practicals and I'm not sure where I would find any.

I want to get into a good uni and I'm not sure if a double gap year and a delayed application will affect my chances of getting in... Will having taken these A levels during my gap years affect my uni application?

If you have maths and physics A levels, you do not need both chem and bio - many med schools are fine with chem or bio plus another science
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

So provided you get at least AAA in your first sitting, most would be happy with you applying at the end of Yr 13 with a pending A level grade for chem or bio, so you should only need 1 gap year and an offer would be dependent on you achieving an A in the extra A level you were sitting.

Otherwise, as mentioned, Newcastle have no specified A level subjects and Manchester and Dundee A104 will accept just 1 science subject at A level (2 may disqualify you from Dundee)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending