The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They're similar difficulty, but a different style. Physics is much more wordy and the mathematical content is easier, whereas the mechanics in Maths is just, well, maths.
Reply 2
From what I've heard, the mechanics involved in physics is easier in questions than the questions in the maths papers.
Reply 3
Maths Mechanics and the Mechanics elements of Physics seem almost identical to me at the moment. I think they are relatively similar, although I couldn't tell you which is harder.
Reply 4
maybe thats because you've already done the physics mechanics module and you understand a bit of it. The maths one is all much easier than the physics one i agree.

Yeah, the questions would be roughly the same. But the maths ones would just require maths obv, no drawings or force diagrams involved there...
take a look at some past papers and compare the two?
hope that answers your question to some extent
physics mechanics is infinitely easier than maths mechanics

EDIT: btw i didnt even know what was going on in physics mechanics until i started m1 in maths :p:
Reply 6
carrotboy
But the maths ones would just require maths obv, no drawings or force diagrams involved there...

Are you kidding? I'd guess about 1/3 of the questions in M1 require you to draw diagrams.
Reply 7
Adhavan
physics mechanics is infinitely easier than maths mechanics

EDIT: btw i didnt even know what was going on in physics mechanics until i started m1 in maths :p:

Loads of my friends have said this.
tommm
Are you kidding? I'd guess about 1/3 of the questions in M1 require you to draw diagrams.

I drew diagrams for almost all questions in maths mechanics (made things a hell of a lot easier)

Diaz
Loads of my friends have said this.

Trust me - maths teachers tend to approach mechanics in a much faster and yet also more understandable way than physics teachers

(btw your sig had me rolling on the floor with laughter :laughing:smile:
Reply 9
Lol, yeah and on the drawings thing, almost every exercise I have done so far has involved me doing drawings :rolleyes:
Reply 10
I have just spent so much time drawing particles on slopes you would not believe. Who leaves all these particles hanging about at limiting equilibrium on slopes anyway?

Also had lots of fun drawing different vehicles accelerating.
tuesday91
I have just spent so much time drawing particles on slopes you would not believe. Who leaves all these particles hanging about at limiting equilibrium on slopes anyway?

Also had lots of fun drawing different vehicles accelerating.

hahaha yeah! and some kid is always throwing stones up in the air - what gives with that?

I just draw vehicles as squares - then i imagine what it would be like if cars really looked like that :biggrin: how cool am i? :p:
Reply 12
Maths Mechanics is easier than the mechanics in physics. But it's probably the way in which the content was presented to me.
Reply 13
Adhavan
hahaha yeah! and some kid is always throwing stones up in the air - what gives with that?

I just draw vehicles as squares - then i imagine what it would be like if cars really looked like that :biggrin: how cool am i? :p:

I had one question once which was like "A boy drops a toy car off of a cliff." Why?! This boy needs help I think, not to know the velocity with which the car hits the shore.

Ahh you see I love drawing all the lorries and boats and stuff out, makes the questions a little less repetative. Though your way sounds cool too, driving a square sounds like fun :yep:
Reply 14
tommm

oh...really?
yeah been a while since i done it!
JayAyy
I've started my mechanics module in maths today, and it seems to be easier than physics :s-smilie: .

Anyway, in the exam, would the questions in mechanics [maths] be roughly the same and roughly as easy as in mechanics [physics] ?

Thanks,
JayAyy

I am sure that if u draw ur diagrams neatly and mark every force then it should b much easier to solve questions. I think Mechanics in Mathematics is much harder than that in Physics because you have to consider many things when solving a question while in Physics there are not many complications. Hope it helps. Wish you all the best with your courses.

Latest