The Student Room Group

Have I ruined my chance to study physics?

I’m in year 12 currently and I am taking maths, physics and music A levels. I’m really interested in studying either mechanical engineering or some field of physics ( Astrophysics, Particle Physics or Quantum Mechanics) but it is past the point of being able to change my A levels and I’m worried that Unis will reject me as I take music instead of another science related subject.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's fine. The required subjects are maths and physics. Further maths may have been handy but it's not essential.

Note that quantum mechanics and particle physics are topics you will study in any physics degree, not degrees in themselves. Astrophysics is a common topic in physics degrees; there are some "themed" degrees titled "astrophysics" or "physics and astronomy" or similar which include a number of astrophysics options preselected as core modules, but they contain all the exact same physics content as any other physics degree as well.

Mechanical engineering is very different from physics, and especially from those areas of physics you noted some interest in.
As above - look at the entry requirements at a range of Unis - they will all be different.
Maths and Physics are the usual required subjects, and if the third subject isnt stated or 'preferred', then it really does not matter what other subject you have, they just want the third grade, and Music will be fine.
Original post by notmyproblem0101
I’m in year 12 currently and I am taking maths, physics and music A levels. I’m really interested in studying either mechanical engineering or some field of physics ( Astrophysics, Particle Physics or Quantum Mechanics) but it is past the point of being able to change my A levels and I’m worried that Unis will reject me as I take music instead of another science related subject.

Hi, I'm a 3rd year maths student at Lancaster University and thought I might be able to help. I also studied Music at A-Level (along with Maths and Further Maths) and didn't have a problem getting places at uni for maths.

Heres a few helpful links:
Physics: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/physics-bsc-hons-f300/#course-entry
Mechanical Engineering: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mechanical-engineering-beng-hons-h300/#course-entry

As you can see on these links, you have the right subjects to study either at Lancaster, not sure about other universities but I assume it would be similar.

I hope this helps,

Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)

Hi @notmyproblem0101 [br] [br] The required courses for Physics at Lancaster are A level Mathematics grade A and A level Physics grade A.

Best of luck with your applications! Let me know if you have any questions about studying physics!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador, PhD Physics Student
Hi there, I'm a second year Physics and Philosophy student at Nottingham. For Nottingham, it doesn't matter what your third subject is, so long as you study maths and physics, and meet their requirements (A*AA-AAA with A*A or AA in maths & physics respectively - any order). For my year, I know that because I firmed Nottingham, they took 1 grade off my other subject so it took even more pressure off me. I've attached the physics page here.

Let me know if you have any other questions, Jonah :smile:

Hi! I know a couple of Lancaster University ambassadors have responded already letting you know that two sciences is plenty for mechanical engineering/physics. I wanted to echo that but also let you know that you could have a look at Natural Sciences as a possible degree. I was unsure how to choose between maths and mechanical engineering before my undergraduate and I chose both plus physical geography through a Natural Sciences BSc. I'm now studying a Mechanical Engineering Master's as it gave me a better idea of what I was interested in. Lots of different universities offer it and the course page for Lancaster is here - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/ - if you wanted to have a look at the way the course works at Lancaster.

- Bethan, Lancaster University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending