The Student Room Group

history gcse - any tips and tricks from people who've done well in history?

hi, i'm in year 10 and i have an exam on medicine through time in february it isn't my mocks but still pretty important. I'd really appreciate getting any advice from people who have gotten good grades in history before as i really want to do well for this exam.
my teacher is going to give our results as actual gcse grades since she's an examiner for aqa so i'm really achieving that 9 in history. My weakness is definitely running out of time but i'd appreciate any and all sorts of advice that'll help me smash my exam in feb - specifically for medicine through time. thank you!!
Original post by ctrlm.
hi, i'm in year 10 and i have an exam on medicine through time in february it isn't my mocks but still pretty important. I'd really appreciate getting any advice from people who have gotten good grades in history before as i really want to do well for this exam.
my teacher is going to give our results as actual gcse grades since she's an examiner for aqa so i'm really achieving that 9 in history. My weakness is definitely running out of time but i'd appreciate any and all sorts of advice that'll help me smash my exam in feb - specifically for medicine through time. thank you!!

I got a grade 9 in 2021, so my grade was teacher assessed, but we still did a lot of mock exams. For learning content, I used the website Seneca. It really helped me learn statistics and dates. In terms of timing, I would try doing lots of past papers, giving yourself more time at first and then each time trying to use less and less time. This is what several teachers have told me to do, and it's time consuming but did work. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Hey! I'm a Year 11 student who's going to sit her second history mock of the year next week. Personally, history was one of my weakest subjects during year 10 because I simply just found it hard to explain stuff in depth. The one day, my teacher gave this speech of how English and history are literally the same thing. if I can explain the symbolism of, I don't know, a full stop in a poem then I can explain things in history too.

First, I would suggest to go through all of the past papers and do them under timed conditions. Then I would search up practice questions online. For example, "medicine through time history [insert exam board] practice questions". This would help you with pacing yourself and also exposing yourself to as many questions as possible. Also, don't forget to ask your teacher for exam questions too.

Second, start making flash cards or posters on everything you've learnt so far. I revise my flashcards every day during exam season and I stick my posters on the wall so when I walk past it, I can quickly test myself.

I'm not familiar with medicine through time since I don't do that, but I would suggest making a list of every single important event and then working out the causes, what it is, and consequences of all of those topics. You can create knowledge organisers to sort all of the topics out. Also ask your teacher for any extra revision materials. My teacher gave me sheets and sheets of resources for my mocks at the end of year 10 that had mind maps, tables, checklists and more.

People say that history is too hard because you have to remember too many dates and its too much writing, but once you know how to effectively revise, it gets easier.

I hope you do well on your exam and good luck for the rest of your secondary career!
Original post by ctrlm.
Hi does anyone here know the questions on Cold war for 2022???in urgent need thank you
Reply 4
Original post by pangolin :)
I got a grade 9 in 2021, so my grade was teacher assessed, but we still did a lot of mock exams. For learning content, I used the website Seneca. It really helped me learn statistics and dates. In terms of timing, I would try doing lots of past papers, giving yourself more time at first and then each time trying to use less and less time. This is what several teachers have told me to do, and it's time consuming but did work. Hope this helps!

sorry for the late reply but congrats on that grade 9! i don't really like using seneca but i'll try it out to help me memorise those dates, i'm definitely gonna try out what you said about the timings though that sounds really helpful.
thank you for advice btw! i'll be sure to use it - really hope i can get something good for this exam :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by isha.
Hey! I'm a Year 11 student who's going to sit her second history mock of the year next week. Personally, history was one of my weakest subjects during year 10 because I simply just found it hard to explain stuff in depth. The one day, my teacher gave this speech of how English and history are literally the same thing. if I can explain the symbolism of, I don't know, a full stop in a poem then I can explain things in history too.

First, I would suggest to go through all of the past papers and do them under timed conditions. Then I would search up practice questions online. For example, "medicine through time history [insert exam board] practice questions". This would help you with pacing yourself and also exposing yourself to as many questions as possible. Also, don't forget to ask your teacher for exam questions too.

Second, start making flash cards or posters on everything you've learnt so far. I revise my flashcards every day during exam season and I stick my posters on the wall so when I walk past it, I can quickly test myself.

I'm not familiar with medicine through time since I don't do that, but I would suggest making a list of every single important event and then working out the causes, what it is, and consequences of all of those topics. You can create knowledge organisers to sort all of the topics out. Also ask your teacher for any extra revision materials. My teacher gave me sheets and sheets of resources for my mocks at the end of year 10 that had mind maps, tables, checklists and more.

People say that history is too hard because you have to remember too many dates and its too much writing, but once you know how to effectively revise, it gets easier.

I hope you do well on your exam and good luck for the rest of your secondary career!

thank you so much for replying! definitely, english and history are linked and i think that's why i'm alright at history because i'm not too bad at english. So many people have mentioned doing past papers/past questions in timed conditions so i've definitely got to do that especially since the reason i couldn't get a 9 last time in my last history exam was because i couldn't finish in time. I like the idea of sticking posters on my wall, i haven't tried that before all i've been doing is sticking up sticky notes and i think it's been helpful? - it's kinda helped me really get those dates stuck in my head. I'm quite glad my teacher marks for AQA and that she's been giving us so many resources so i'll be sure to use them all.
Thanks again for replying! and that last bit in your reply is just too sweet - Really hope I do well!
Good luck on your history mock this week, you'll do incredible!

Quick Reply

Latest