The Student Room Group

Accom for placement at uni - possible to live in halls?

I've recently been thinking about doing a 12 month placement in my third year of uni. One thing that's constantly on my mind about it is the location of the placement, and how easy finding accommodation will be should I choose to relocate. Now, this is going to be a stupid question, but if the place I'm going to has a uni, would it be possible for me to live in uni halls there for the duration of the placement? Because even though I'd be working for an actual company, I'm still technically a student during that period as well.
Original post by _hobbinho_
I've recently been thinking about doing a 12 month placement in my third year of uni. One thing that's constantly on my mind about it is the location of the placement, and how easy finding accommodation will be should I choose to relocate. Now, this is going to be a stupid question, but if the place I'm going to has a uni, would it be possible for me to live in uni halls there for the duration of the placement? Because even though I'd be working for an actual company, I'm still technically a student during that period as well.

Hey @_hobbinho_,

If it is accommodation that is owned by the university, then I do not think this would work. However, if it is privately owned student accommodation then it is worth contacting them to check as you still are a student.

If you are unable to live in student accomodation, it might be worth considering house shares - this is where you rent a room in a house and may have to share a kitchen/bathroom etc. You can find them on Rightmove and other letting agencies.

Have you already organised where your placement will be? It is also worth asking the company you will be working for, for any advice or support that they may have.

I hope this helps but please be reassured that you will find somewhere.

All the best,
Sara
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Hi _hobbinho_,
I'd definitely recommend looking at private student accommodation for your placement year. It will be at their discretion but most are usually fine accommodating students on placement as they are ultimately still classed as a 'student'.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Hey there,

As said above finding private student accom within a house share might be easier to find. It might work better if you were sharing accom with students in their final year or on placement too!

I think it is possible to live in halls organised by the university. From what I know they will allocate rooms to first year students as a priority, and then if there were to be any vacant rooms this is when they will assign them to older students. But this does mean you may not get your halls of choice. It might be worth talking to the housing apartment to give you more certain information about living in halls as a third year.

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey @_hobbinho_,

If it is accommodation that is owned by the university, then I do not think this would work. However, if it is privately owned student accommodation then it is worth contacting them to check as you still are a student.

If you are unable to live in student accomodation, it might be worth considering house shares - this is where you rent a room in a house and may have to share a kitchen/bathroom etc. You can find them on Rightmove and other letting agencies.

Have you already organised where your placement will be? It is also worth asking the company you will be working for, for any advice or support that they may have.

I hope this helps but please be reassured that you will find somewhere.

All the best,
Sara
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Thank you Sara! I haven't really worked out where my placement will be as of right now (since I still haven't decided whether or not I'll be doing a placement year yet), but if I decide to do a placement year I'll definitely have a look at private halls, and also house shares if this is an option, along with contacting the company to see if they can do anything.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey there,

As said above finding private student accom within a house share might be easier to find. It might work better if you were sharing accom with students in their final year or on placement too!

I think it is possible to live in halls organised by the university. From what I know they will allocate rooms to first year students as a priority, and then if there were to be any vacant rooms this is when they will assign them to older students. But this does mean you may not get your halls of choice. It might be worth talking to the housing apartment to give you more certain information about living in halls as a third year.

I hope this helps,

Thank you for the advice Lauren!
I think the only thing I'd be wary of personally is the fact that, if I was to look for halls at a particular university, I may not be a student with that uni before placement, so it may make things a little harder, but then at the same time this may not be an issue. I'll make sure to keep my options open.
Thank you Sara! I haven't really worked out where my placement will be as of right now (since I still haven't decided whether or not I'll be doing a placement year yet), but if I decide to do a placement year I'll definitely have a look at private halls, and also house shares if this is an option, along with contacting the company to see if they can do anything.

Remember you get paid in your placement - far more than the maintenance grant.
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey there,

I hope this helps,

Thank you for the advice Lauren!
I think the only thing I'd be wary of personally is the fact that, if I was to look for halls at a particular university, I may not be a student with that uni before placement, so it may make things a little harder, but then at the same time this may not be an issue. I'll make sure to keep my options open.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Remember you get paid in your placement - far more than the maintenance grant.

That is very true. I guess costs would depend on the type of accom but also the area no?

Quick Reply

Latest