The Student Room Group

Can I still get an A level in the three sciences without practicals?

I’m looking to sit A level exams for biology, chemistry and physics and maybe maths. However I can’t afford the practicals as they are thousands. Could I still be awarded the A level without the practicals?
Original post by Ajones91
I’m looking to sit A level exams for biology, chemistry and physics and maybe maths. However I can’t afford the practicals as they are thousands. Could I still be awarded the A level without the practicals?

I’m pretty sure that in order to be entered for the exams in the first place, you have to do the practicals
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’m pretty sure that in order to be entered for the exams in the first place, you have to do the practicals

There are options for written exams only or written exams with practical assessments.
Original post by Ajones91
There are options for written exams only or written exams with practical assessments.

Hmmm… apparently you can do the A level sciences without practical work, but it isn’t advised if you are planning to use the A levels to study a science at uni.

Edit: I misread something on the internet, so what it was actually saying is you can pass the exams having failed the practical endorsement. Another post on TSR that I found says “For the English exam boards - AQA, Edexcel and OCR - you can get a grade having failed the endorsement but centres are not allowed to offer the A level without also also offering the practical endorsement.”, so my best guess is that you cannot do the A level sciences without the practical endorsement. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4706774
(edited 1 year ago)
A suggestion I have, which may not work, is that if you can’t do the full A levels is to consider getting entered for the AS exams.

If you can do that, you won’t need to worry about the practical endorsement, as it isn’t applicable to AS.

Whether this suggestion will work or not depends on what you are getting the A levels for. If it’s a university application or something like that, it will almost definitely not work.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Hmmm… apparently you can do the A level sciences without practical work, but it isn’t advised if you are planning to use the A levels to study a science at uni.

Edit: I misread something on the internet, so what it was actually saying is you can pass the exams having failed the practical endorsement. Another post on TSR that I found says “For the English exam boards - AQA, Edexcel and OCR - you can get a grade having failed the endorsement but centres are not allowed to offer the A level without also also offering the practical endorsement.”, so my best guess is that you cannot do the A level sciences without the practical endorsement. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4706774

Considering the regular A levels in England, for a centre to offer a science A level they are supposed to be able to offer the practical endorsement, however a candidate can decline to take it. That said, if the purpose of taking science A levels is to attend a science course at university it's essential to verify that the practical endorsement can be waived for a private candidate. Some universities will do this for some courses, others will not.
An alternative would be to take Pearson Edexcel International A level where the practical knowledge is assessed through written papers. This can be done through selected exam centres in UK e.g. https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/

@Ajones91
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gdunne42
For a centre to offer the science A level they are supposed to be able to offer the practical endorsement, however a candidate can decline to take it. That said, if the purpose of taking science A levels is to attend a science course at university it's essential to verify that the practical endorsement can be waived for a private candidate. Some universities will do this for some courses, others will not. An alternative would be to take Pearson Edexcel International A level where the practical knowledge is assessed through written papers. The can be done through selected exam centres in UK e.g. https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/

:ditto:
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
Considering the regular A levels in England, for a centre to offer a science A level they are supposed to be able to offer the practical endorsement, however a candidate can decline to take it. That said, if the purpose of taking science A levels is to attend a science course at university it's essential to verify that the practical endorsement can be waived for a private candidate. Some universities will do this for some courses, others will not.
An alternative would be to take Pearson Edexcel International A level where the practical knowledge is assessed through written papers. This can be done through selected exam centres in UK e.g. https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/

@Ajones91

That’s great thanks! I have sent them a message
Many Unis do not require the practical endorsement - Bath as one example.

Quick Reply

Latest