Electromag question? Watch

importunate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Charges of 2q, -q and -q are located at position (0,r), (-r,-r) and (r,-r), respectively in the (x,y) plane. Calculate the electrical potential at the origin of the coordinates. Also calculate the the force (in Newtons) acting on the charge 2q assuming that r = 1m and also q = 10^-8C.

Draw a diagram of the arrangement, marking the direction of the force in the charge 2q.

I know that I have to work out the resultant vector for this question but am unsure about how to go about this. I have looked in several textbooks and have so far been unable to go about finding out the electric potential at the origin. I would appretiate some advice on how to tackle this problem.
div curl F = 0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well the potential of a point charge Q a distance d away is:

V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{d}

so the contribution from 2q is:

V_{2q} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{2q}{r}

and the contribution from each of the charges -q are:

V_{-q} = -\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{\sqrt{2}r}

Since the distance d from the charges -q to the origin is found by using pythagoras' theorem.

So add them all up:

V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\,\frac{q}{r} \left[2 - \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} \right] = \frac{2-\sqrt{2}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\, \frac{q}{r}

For the second part, you need to use coloumbs law and for the direction, think about which way a positive charge will go when you put it next to a negative charge (attraction or repulsion?)
importunate
Rep:
?
(Original post by div curl F = 0)
Well the potential of a point charge Q a distance d away is:

V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{d}

so the contribution from 2q is:

V_{2q} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{2q}{r}

and the contribution from each of the charges -q are:

V_{-q} = -\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{\sqrt{2}r}

Since the distance d from the charges -q to the origin is found by using pythagoras' theorem.

So add them all up:

V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\,\frac{q}{r} \left[2 - \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} \right] = \frac{2-\sqrt{2}}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\, \frac{q}{r}

For the second part, you need to use coloumbs law and for the direction, think about which way a positive charge will go when you put it next to a negative charge (attraction or repulsion?)
Isnt it r^2 in coulombs law?
div curl F = 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Coulombs law is indeed r^-2 (an inverse square law) but the first part asks for the potential which isn't coulombs law:

E = -\frac{dV}{dx} \;\;;\;\; F = qE

V is the potential, E is the electric field and F is coulombs law.
importunate
Rep:
?
Oh yes sorry. Thats a bit embaresssing lol. Abviously if we put a positive next to a negative charge they will attract each other. So how do I resolve the vectors so get the Force? Thanks
div curl F = 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well plot where the charges are positioned and you should see that the two horizontal contributions of force from each negative charge cancel out because the layout is symmetrical about the y axis, so the positive 2q charge only moves in the y direction (vertical), and will oscillate backwards and forwards along this line (SHM).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?