The Student Room Group

A-Level French Photocard

What is the best way to approach an AQA A-Level French speaking Photocard? I am in Yr12 but would like to be hitting A/A* in my mock and speaking is my least confident area.
Original post by ff005
What is the best way to approach an AQA A-Level French speaking Photocard? I am in Yr12 but would like to be hitting A/A* in my mock and speaking is my least confident area.

Hey. I think I can help. I did my French A Level in 2022 and got an A in both my mock and the final grade. Here is what I would say:
- Timing is crucial. You'll only have 5-6 minutes to jot down everything and make notes so really use that time wisely. How I did it was I read through the text (including the title) then I looked at the questions next because that way I can figure out what questions to ask without them sounding the same as the ones on the card.
- Vocabulary is very important. The first question will always ask you to summarise the text in your own words so look at the words and underline the ones you know the synonyms of and then jot them done on the paper.
- Facts and figures are really important as well. When you see what your topic is right down any facts and figures you can remember so that you're not scrambling for them in your brain during the conversation. Know the topic inside-out because you will receive some surprise questions. To make the exam feel more like a conversation ask your questions in between the questions the examiner will ask. Don't leave them till the end because a) you might run out of time to ask them and b) it shows the examiner that you want to have a conversation with them.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask me anymore questions.
Reply 2
Original post by evakesiax
Hey. I think I can help. I did my French A Level in 2022 and got an A in both my mock and the final grade. Here is what I would say:
- Timing is crucial. You'll only have 5-6 minutes to jot down everything and make notes so really use that time wisely. How I did it was I read through the text (including the title) then I looked at the questions next because that way I can figure out what questions to ask without them sounding the same as the ones on the card.
- Vocabulary is very important. The first question will always ask you to summarise the text in your own words so look at the words and underline the ones you know the synonyms of and then jot them done on the paper.
- Facts and figures are really important as well. When you see what your topic is right down any facts and figures you can remember so that you're not scrambling for them in your brain during the conversation. Know the topic inside-out because you will receive some surprise questions. To make the exam feel more like a conversation ask your questions in between the questions the examiner will ask. Don't leave them till the end because a) you might run out of time to ask them and b) it shows the examiner that you want to have a conversation with them.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask me anymore questions.

Thank you so much this was genuinely a perfect explanation!! In terms of facts and figures, do you recommend anywhere I can find them? Quizlet, etc? We tend to see them a lot in class but I was never specifically told to memorise any of them, do I just do my own research on them? Thank you in advance :h:
Original post by ff005
Thank you so much this was genuinely a perfect explanation!! In terms of facts and figures, do you recommend anywhere I can find them? Quizlet, etc? We tend to see them a lot in class but I was never specifically told to memorise any of them, do I just do my own research on them? Thank you in advance :h:

I still have my full list of facts and figures that i used in year 12 and 13. Over the two years I kept adding to them. PM me ur email and i'll send them to u
Reply 4
I'm very new here so I'm currently not able to send PMs but as soon as I am I will:smile: If not, I think I can view PMs so if you wanted to send me yours and then I reply which gives you mine I can try that too:biggrin: Thank you in advance
Original post by ff005
In terms of facts and figures, do you recommend anywhere I can find them?

Do you have a textbook? The Hodder Education AQA A-level French textbook (has a gargoyle on the front) is pretty good for facts and figures for each topic, and as the topics overlap a bit some of the examples can be used for more than one topic :smile:
I still have my full list of facts and figures that i used in year 12 and 13. Over the two years I kept adding to them. PM me ur email and i'll send them to u

Hi would you mind sending the list to me too please.? 2 weeks away from my speaking exam
Reply 7

Do you mind sending them please
Reply 8

hey, I know this was a long time ago but would you be able to send the list to me as well?? many thanks if possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending