The Student Room Group

How to evaluate in politics

I have to do an evaluation on whether referendums are an effective for UK democracy or not. Yet i really struggle evaluating, this is due in the next day. Could some help please?! Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by laughingduck22
I have to do an evaluation on whether referendums are an effective for UK democracy or not. Yet i really struggle evaluating, this is due in the next day. Could some help please?! Thanks

Hi! I sometimes struggle with evaluating things like this too - I think a lot of people do. MY advice is to look at the advantages and disadvantages of Referendums in the UK and just compare and link a few of them. See which side outweighs the other. Also maybe take a look at the voter turnout for referendums compared to other things like general elections.
What I usually do is take maybe 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages (or more of one side if you feel you may struggle to argue a side) and compare them in two paragraphs. Add some statistics/facts in if you can. For a conclusion, I would use evaluative phrases (if you haven't already been doing that) like "effectively", "cleverly", "interestingly" etc., and determine whether you believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages or not.

Obviously, you don't have to follow this structure but it's just a method I've tried out, and seems to work for me!
I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
Original post by kyla<3
Hi! I sometimes struggle with evaluating things like this too - I think a lot of people do. MY advice is to look at the advantages and disadvantages of Referendums in the UK and just compare and link a few of them. See which side outweighs the other. Also maybe take a look at the voter turnout for referendums compared to other things like general elections.
What I usually do is take maybe 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages (or more of one side if you feel you may struggle to argue a side) and compare them in two paragraphs. Add some statistics/facts in if you can. For a conclusion, I would use evaluative phrases (if you haven't already been doing that) like "effectively", "cleverly", "interestingly" etc., and determine whether you believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages or not.

Obviously, you don't have to follow this structure but it's just a method I've tried out, and seems to work for me!
I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Hi, Thankyou so much for your reply! I did manage to figure out that i needed advantages and disadvantages, i am going to add some evidence to back up my points now you've said about adding percentages of votes and turnout. My conclusions are quite weak, so i'm going to try your advice with the evaluative phrases.
Anyways thanks again! 😊

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by laughingduck22
Hi, Thankyou so much for your reply! I did manage to figure out that i needed advantages and disadvantages, i am going to add some evidence to back up my points now you've said about adding percentages of votes and turnout. My conclusions are quite weak, so i'm going to try your advice with the evaluative phrases.
Anyways thanks again! 😊

Spoiler

You're so welcome! I'm glad I could help. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest