Turn on thread page Beta

need some info please :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hello
    im starting uni in 09 and I was wondering if anybody new if I could live with my partner at uni?
    my partner doesnt go to uni, but we woulld really like to live together while im at uni, shes willing to move for me.
    obviously we cant live in halls of residence as my partner will not be going to my uni...
    but I wanted to know if we could find some kind of accommodation that would let us do this...
    and not TOO expensive.

anyone shed some light please?

ReputationRep:
    some unis provide apartments within halls, for people with families or whatever.

You'd have more chance with private halls, most uni websites reccommend private halls.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend's doing the exact same thing.
    She asked all her unis and every one said they could find accomodation for them both really easily.

And it'll still be student accom, even if its not a hall, so it'll be cheap.

seriously, don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    Awesome thanks alot
    i'll have to get my uni to sort it out for me then. im glad

ReputationRep:
    You'd definitely be able to find private accommodation, the main issue would be cost as you'd have rent, bills and 75% of the council tax to pay, but if you're willing to share a studio flat or similar then it would probably be affordable.

You probably wouldn't be able to live together in any kind of 'student' accommodation, because of the council tax issues and because most universities don't let non-students live in student halls. The same goes for private halls, generally they are for students only (again because of the tax issues), and most contracts prohibit any kind of sharing or subletting. It's always worth asking or checking, but remember that you'd be living pretty much in one room together, and probably you'd be sharing kitchen/living space. That can put a lot of pressure on a relationship, especially if you haven't lived together before. However, it works for some so it's what suits you (and what you're allowed to do).

Some universities do have family and couples accommodation, but it's generally hugely oversubscribed and priority goes to families, married couples, mature students and post-grads. As an 'ordinary' undergrad (sorry if I'm making assumptions ) who wants to live with a boyfriend/girlfriend you'd be way down the list of priority, although it's always worth applying for. Private rentals will probably be your best option though, or you could see if you can find a student landlord who would be happy about the two of you moving into a shared house, although again you'd have council tax issues and depending on the size/location of the house, you could end up paying substantially more than you would in a studio or 1 bed place, as if your partner is the only non-student s/he'd be liable for 75% of the c/t for the whole house. Or, there's always a shared house of non-students, that would probably be the cheapest option overall.

ReputationRep:
    oh okay. well we're engaged so we have a bit more priority than jus being together :P
    but thanks alot paeony. i think the best thing to do is just get it sorted with my uni when i have a firm choice... but i like the idea of a studio or 1 bed apartment. i just hope the uni helps me to look cause id have no idea what to do since ive never had to buy or rent housing.

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you know where you're going, get in touch with the accommodation office at your uni. They'll have details of private landlords, and they'll generally be able to tell you which agencies in the area are a bit more 'student friendly'. My partner and I rented privately for the last couple of years of our degree, and we never really had a problem, beyond having to provide a guarantor. We were in London so it probably did work out a little bit more expensive than halls/a shared house, but if you're willing to share a studio and you're not in London then it'd probably be comparable to both of you living in halls anyway (I know only one of you is a student but I'm just using it as a comparison, you'd both be paying rent wherever you go), it might even be cheaper.

If you can get couples accommodation then that's brilliant, but undergrads usually don't get priority as there are so many mature students with families, postgrads and international postgrads who want it. Like I said though, apply as it's always worth trying. Bear in mind though that not all universities have couples or family accommodation, especially the 'newer' unis. It's definitely something worth looking at when you're choosing a uni, if that's what you need, but I'd ask about the chances of you getting it before you set your heart on somewhere just because of the accommodation. You'll always be able to find somewhere to share so it doesn't need to be a big problem, even if you can't get 'uni' accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot. you're full of really good information!
    ive just emailed my firm choice to ask for some information.
    So thankyou youve been a great help!

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.