The Student Room Group

Should I do architecture at uni if I don't want to do physics a-level???

Hi! I'm in year 11 currently and need to choose my A-Levels pretty soon. I'm thinking of studying architecture at university maybe... and currently my A-Level choice are: Maths, Art, Philosophy and History/Biology

However, I'm doing Physics GCSE right now and don't really enjoy it :frown:

Hopefully I'll get a decent grade, but I was wondering if it will affect my chances of studying Architecture at a good uni if I don't take it for A-Levels??

Or does the fact that I don't enjoy Physics mean I should reconsider taking Architecture altogether??

If anyone could reply with any advice it would really be appreciated! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
It's natural to have concerns about your subject choices and how they might impact your future studies or career.

In general, most architecture programs at university will require you to have strong skills in mathematics, as this is an important foundation for understanding spatial relationships, measuring and scaling, and other fundamental concepts in architecture. Therefore, it's generally a good idea to include math in your A-level subject choices if you're considering studying architecture.

Art can also be a useful subject for architecture, as it can help you to develop your visual and spatial awareness and artistic skills. However, it's not typically a required subject for architecture programs, so you might want to consider whether it aligns with your interests and career goals.

As for Physics, it's not typically a required subject for architecture programs, but it could be helpful to have a basic understanding of physical principles and how they apply to building design. That being said, if you don't enjoy Physics and don't feel like you would get much value from studying it at the A-level level, it might not be worth including it in your subject choices.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose subjects that you enjoy and that will help you to achieve your academic and career goals. If you're not sure what to study, it might be helpful to talk to your school counsellor or a career advisor for more guidance. They can help you to explore your options and make an informed decision.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by helper1guy
It's natural to have concerns about your subject choices and how they might impact your future studies or career.

In general, most architecture programs at university will require you to have strong skills in mathematics, as this is an important foundation for understanding spatial relationships, measuring and scaling, and other fundamental concepts in architecture. Therefore, it's generally a good idea to include math in your A-level subject choices if you're considering studying architecture.

Art can also be a useful subject for architecture, as it can help you to develop your visual and spatial awareness and artistic skills. However, it's not typically a required subject for architecture programs, so you might want to consider whether it aligns with your interests and career goals.

As for Physics, it's not typically a required subject for architecture programs, but it could be helpful to have a basic understanding of physical principles and how they apply to building design. That being said, if you don't enjoy Physics and don't feel like you would get much value from studying it at the A-level level, it might not be worth including it in your subject choices.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose subjects that you enjoy and that will help you to achieve your academic and career goals. If you're not sure what to study, it might be helpful to talk to your school counsellor or a career advisor for more guidance. They can help you to explore your options and make an informed decision.

Maths isn’t part of architecture at any level beyond gcse. Only a handful of universities prefer or require A level maths.
Original post by skff
Hi! I'm in year 11 currently and need to choose my A-Levels pretty soon. I'm thinking of studying architecture at university maybe... and currently my A-Level choice are: Maths, Art, Philosophy and History/Biology

However, I'm doing Physics GCSE right now and don't really enjoy it :frown:

Hopefully I'll get a decent grade, but I was wondering if it will affect my chances of studying Architecture at a good uni if I don't take it for A-Levels??

Or does the fact that I don't enjoy Physics mean I should reconsider taking Architecture altogether??

If anyone could reply with any advice it would really be appreciated! :smile:

FA1CDD25-210A-4DBF-808C-218139D43167.png
from page 2 of RIBAs “about architecture” leaflet.

architecture is at its core a design based career and subject. It isn’t engineering. If you don’t like physics then don’t worry. Take A levels that you’re interested in and enjoy, work on a portfolio of design and observational drawing and you’ll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest