Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of registering on ebay, but concerned as to how safe it is to use. what actually happens in a transaction? What's stopping someone from not sending you the item once you have paid? OK, so there's this user feedback thing, but can't someone just open a new account if they have negative feedback?

ReputationRep:
    If you only buy off people with a high feedback rating, you should be alright.

ReputationRep:
    No if they have negative feedback how they can't open a new account because they have to use the same name address/same band details etc. Its quite hard to open a sellers account. There is a lot of security checks in place.

Yes there is fruad on ebay but much of it can be avoided with simple common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sofa King)
    I'm thinking of registering on ebay, but concerned as to how safe it is to use. what actually happens in a transaction? What's stopping someone from not sending you the item once you have paid? OK, so there's this user feedback thing, but can't someone just open a new account if they have negative feedback?
    If you're concerned, only buy from people with plenty of positive feedback.

ReputationRep:
    if they don't post you your item, you send them a Strike (via eBay of course), and then you get money back and their reputation is torn apart!!!!!!

buy from trusted sellers (ie. sellers that have a high feedback rating). and only pay for the stuff VIA EBAY! don't pay them externally(western union, etc...) or you won't be covered by buyer protection!

i sold my old phone once, the guy who bought it had -1 feedback, so i got eBay to give him 1 week to pay for what he agreed on. ...he didn't and i got a free re-listing of my item and got paid £11.96 as a fee from the guy who didn't send the money! see, eBay itself is a good company, but people spoil it for no reason... and when they do spoil it eBay catches them out!

i haven't run into anyone who hasn't sent me an item (prob cos i buy from PowerSellers) and i guess if i do have a complaint eBay will sort it out for me.

don't worry...

ReputationRep:
    yes its pretty safe as long as you dont pay for items in cash delivered through the post etc.

use something properly secure and traceable like paypal or at the least cheques or credit cards.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Always check feedback, and if you're buying a high value item ask the seller a question first. Also, check what else they're selling and have sold. If they've only sold a few small things occasionally and then have loads of laptops etc on sale, it's probably dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    I just bought something from a guy with 900 feedback since November 2001 - i think I'm pretty safe :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    check the item as well - i dont use ebay but ive seen a lot of idiots buy random rubbish

e.g. someone bought a picture of the new nintendo handheld console (ds) and it was so easy to see that it was a pic and all of the text was in caps other than the word picture

so read before u buy

ReputationRep:
    check how much they charge for postage and packaging - they can put it at £1 million if they want. If they don't state the postage, email them before even thinking about bidding. Trust no-one! (but be curteously distrustful

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sofa King, a month ago, I had the same concerns as you. I decided to try it and found it to be an amazing place. I've brought 5 items I've always wanted at a really cheap price. I just gave my bank details to PayPal (who are extremely secure) and brought the items. Every transaction is smooth and if you want, you need never contact the buyer. It's just a matter of:

1. Checking the buyer's feedback
    2. Bidding for the item
    3. Winning the item
    4. Clicking the PAY button
    5. Entering the postage costs (normally £2/3)
    6. Waiting 3 days for it to arrive
    7. Leaving them positive feedback.

Nothing has gone wrong yet, but good sellers will give you a refund if you have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    It's safe, as long you don't auction your t!ts of to an advertiser, as one woman did

ReputationRep:

I only have positive experiences of eBay and have bought a terribly expensive item through it without problems. Always check the seller´s reputation.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.