The Student Room Group

All nighter - technique

I have been in the habit of going to bed at 6am and only getting up at 2pm.

I stayed up all last night and thought I might as well stay up through the day, go to bed at a normal time to try to get my pattern back to normal.

However I am knackered now. It’s a bit early to go to bed now but if I go at 4pm will this normalise my sleeping pattern. Hopefully I will wake up after midnight then I can just pass a few hours and it will be morning?
I used to have the same sleep schedule, it messed me up mentally. At first, I tried to exhaust myself by exercising, like jogging or cycling and I tried to stay away from using devices before going to sleep. I also started reading which got me tired faster. You could also just force yourself to wake up earlier maybe at 11am and see when you get tired that day, if you get tired before 1am, you should sleep just to fix the schedule. Waking up earlier means getting more things done during the day which tends to make people feel better.

This may help, it might not but I hope it does!
Original post by Awaitingquavers
I have been in the habit of going to bed at 6am and only getting up at 2pm.

I stayed up all last night and thought I might as well stay up through the day, go to bed at a normal time to try to get my pattern back to normal.

However I am knackered now. It’s a bit early to go to bed now but if I go at 4pm will this normalise my sleeping pattern. Hopefully I will wake up after midnight then I can just pass a few hours and it will be morning?

The short answer is no, you can't normalise your sleeping pattern that quickly. If you've been in the habit of sleeping from 6am until 2pm your circadian rhythm (body clock) will have adjusted at least to some degree to that sleep schedule. You've effectively jet lagged yourself, and like with jet lag, you cannot adjust overnight to it. By all means try to get back to a normal sleep pattern by going to bed earlier, getting up earlier and then seeing the day through, but don't expect your body to be fully on board with that. When you're trying to fall asleep earlier your body will adjust at the rate of an hour or two a night, so expect this to take somewhere from a few days to a week to get back to comfortably sleeping normal hours. In the mean time you'll probably feel a bit rough, but that's completely normal. You've got to ride through it to get back to that normal sleep pattern. After you've done that, stick to it. When it comes to sleeping, getting enough of it is important, and the eight hours or so that you're getting is likely good enough, but it's just as important to be sleeping consistently the same hours. That regulates your circadian rhythm and has plenty of positive effects both physically and mentally. So get yourself back on track and then stick to a routine going forwards. You'll feel so much better for it.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
The short answer is no, you can't normalise your sleeping pattern that quickly. If you've been in the habit of sleeping from 6am until 2pm your circadian rhythm (body clock) will have adjusted at least to some degree to that sleep schedule. You've effectively jet lagged yourself, and like with jet lag, you cannot adjust overnight to it. By all means try to get back to a normal sleep pattern by going to bed earlier, getting up earlier and then seeing the day through, but don't expect your body to be fully on board with that. When you're trying to fall asleep earlier your body will adjust at the rate of an hour or two a night, so expect this to take somewhere from a few days to a week to get back to comfortably sleeping normal hours. In the mean time you'll probably feel a bit rough, but that's completely normal. You've got to ride through it to get back to that normal sleep pattern. After you've done that, stick to it. When it comes to sleeping, getting enough of it is important, and the eight hours or so that you're getting is likely good enough, but it's just as important to be sleeping consistently the same hours. That regulates your circadian rhythm and has plenty of positive effects both physically and mentally. So get yourself back on track and then stick to a routine going forwards. You'll feel so much better for it.

Well that was one big FAILURE. After staying up all night I went to bed at 5pm, woke up at 11.30 pm. Wondered around the house for a bit before going to bed to finish the sleep at 5am - my plan was to finish my sleep and wake up at 8 am. Next thing I know I wake up and it is 2pm. FFS

Thanks for your reply, I agree a sleeping pattern needs to be stuck to and as I’ve just experienced is hard to change quickly. I’l strive for consistency once I can get it normalised.
Original post by Awaitingquavers
Well that was one big FAILURE. After staying up all night I went to bed at 5pm, woke up at 11.30 pm. Wondered around the house for a bit before going to bed to finish the sleep at 5am - my plan was to finish my sleep and wake up at 8 am. Next thing I know I wake up and it is 2pm. FFS

Thanks for your reply, I agree a sleeping pattern needs to be stuck to and as I’ve just experienced is hard to change quickly. I’l strive for consistency once I can get it normalised.

If you planned on waking up at 8am and slept through until 2pm, that is just your body telling you that you needed more sleep. And is also tells you that this change needs to be more gradual than last night. That's ok though. It won't take very long and you know what you need to do now.

Quick Reply

Latest