The Student Room Group

Bath vs Exeter vs Nottingham for economics

Is Bath, Exeter or Nottingham better for bsc Economics? Also in general what are the pros and cons of each uni? Trying to pick 1 out of the 3.
Original post by tani_04
Is Bath, Exeter or Nottingham better for bsc Economics? Also in general what are the pros and cons of each uni? Trying to pick 1 out of the 3.

They are all roughly in the same tier i.e. they are not the top universities, but they are very good.

My preference is for Exeter, then Nottingham, and then Bath. This is going by Russell Group and rankings for academic study.

If you are going by whether the university is targeted by top firms, then I would prefer Exeter, Bath, and then Nottingham.

Nottingham I know is good for experimental economics in terms of research (if you decide to go into postgrad).
Bath has a good busines school (as far as I know), so you can pick some good business related modules if you want (why?).

In terms of location, I prefer Nottingham, then Bath, then Exeter. However, I am not going to be too bothered about the location, since you're not going there for a holiday; you're there to get a good degree for either further academic studies (if it's required for the job or to go into research) or to get noticed by prospective employers (assuming it's a targeted university). Unless it's in a remote location and it makes going back home difficult during the holidays, then I would reconsider. Otherwise, location should not be an issue.

Looking at the course content:
Bath seems to focus more on business and industrial economics. It's cool that they included programming in the course, but it shouldn't be necessary depending on the software you are using. It's interesting that they require you to cover all the maths in the first year. Otherwise, the range of modules seem a bit limited. I can't see what options you get for your third year, so I can't comment further on this.
Exeter's modules look good, but I can't see any of the optional modules so I can't comment on what they offer. It's nice that they offer a year abroad or in industry should you want to.
Nottingham's course shows a full range and breadth of content. If anything, I would say it's a good comprehensive economics course. It's interesting that they require you to cover a lot of the mathematical stuff in the first year though.

I would say Nottingham provides the best course so far. However, I cannot give it a fair comment until I see the options the other universities offer for their courses. If you have access to those, let me know and I can give you a fairer opinion.
For the course with the most flexibility, I would say Exeter is the best in this regard.
If you want something with a business focus, you cannot go wrong with Bath.

My preference is still Exeter, Nottingham, and Bath though.
Original post by tani_04

Having had friends on my MSc course who studied economics undergrad at these, all were fairly happy with the degrees so I'm sure you'll be fine on any. Nottingham had the best economics department and widest range of modules. Nottingham and Bath were both a bit more advanced than Exeter in terms of course rigor. Bath has the advantage over the other two in having the best industrial placement scheme of any economics course in the country so you could argue it has the strongest career prospects.

In terms of location, this is quite subjective so tough to say. Although Bath and Nottingham are probably more accessible than Exeter by road and have shorter train journeys. Though Exeter and Bath seem like much nicer cities than Nottingham even if Nottingham's campus is very nice and isn't actually in the city anyway.

Again, it's very subjective but overall I'd give Nottingham and Bath the edge over Exeter. Ultimately course rigor and career prospects should probably be the most important factors, although the difference is small. Often Bath, Nottingham, Bristol and Durham are seen as the next best economics courses after Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick - so I'm sure you'd be fine at either
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
They are all roughly in the same tier i.e. they are not the top universities, but they are very good.

My preference is for Exeter, then Nottingham, and then Bath. This is going by Russell Group and rankings for academic study.

If you are going by whether the university is targeted by top firms, then I would prefer Exeter, Bath, and then Nottingham.

Nottingham I know is good for experimental economics in terms of research (if you decide to go into postgrad).
Bath has a good busines school (as far as I know), so you can pick some good business related modules if you want (why?).

In terms of location, I prefer Nottingham, then Bath, then Exeter. However, I am not going to be too bothered about the location, since you're not going there for a holiday; you're there to get a good degree for either further academic studies (if it's required for the job or to go into research) or to get noticed by prospective employers (assuming it's a targeted university). Unless it's in a remote location and it makes going back home difficult during the holidays, then I would reconsider. Otherwise, location should not be an issue.

Looking at the course content:
Bath seems to focus more on business and industrial economics. It's cool that they included programming in the course, but it shouldn't be necessary depending on the software you are using. It's interesting that they require you to cover all the maths in the first year. Otherwise, the range of modules seem a bit limited. I can't see what options you get for your third year, so I can't comment further on this.
Exeter's modules look good, but I can't see any of the optional modules so I can't comment on what they offer. It's nice that they offer a year abroad or in industry should you want to.
Nottingham's course shows a full range and breadth of content. If anything, I would say it's a good comprehensive economics course. It's interesting that they require you to cover a lot of the mathematical stuff in the first year though.

I would say Nottingham provides the best course so far. However, I cannot give it a fair comment until I see the options the other universities offer for their courses. If you have access to those, let me know and I can give you a fairer opinion.
For the course with the most flexibility, I would say Exeter is the best in this regard.
If you want something with a business focus, you cannot go wrong with Bath.

My preference is still Exeter, Nottingham, and Bath though.

Thank you for the help! So would this mean that both bath and nottingham mostly only are maths focused in the first year? And that exeter is the only one out of the 3 that spaces the maths out in the 3 years?

Exeter's 3rd year modules -
Econometric Analysis
Law and Economics
Futures and Options
Financial Markets and Decisions 2
International Political Economy
International Economics
Public Economics 1
Behaviour, Decisions and Markets
Development Economics
Economic Growth

Advanced Mathematics for Economists
Labour Economics
Political Economics
Asset Pricing
Applied Economics for Business
Economics of Management Strategy
Causal Effects in Economics
Machine Learning for Economics
Global Environmental Economics
Economics Dissertation
Behavioural Economics: Theory and Practice
Economic Analysis and Pandemics
Applied Econometrics for Business
Econometrics: Cause and Effect
Bitcoin, Money and Trust

Bath 3rd year modules cover (very less info given on the website) =
econometrics 
economic history 
game theory 
industrial organisation 
economic systems

Let me know if your opinion has changed :smile:
Original post by MindMax2000

In terms of location, I prefer Nottingham, then Bath, then Exeter. However, I am not going to be too bothered about the location, since you're not going there for a holiday

1) from my (limited) experience and general opinions I’ve picked up in banking atleast
bath=notts > Exeter. But not by much so don’t worry too much about this. I’d guess other sectors econ grads might go into would think similar

2) This is an awful take. The location is much more important than a week long holiday - it’s 3 years. Realistically an econ degree takes 20ish hours most weeks. It’s important you enjoy the rest of ur time.

The courses won’t be that different and unless you have a particular area of interest as an 18 year old, I probably wouldn’t even look at them yet

In my opinion OP you should visit them all/watch YouTube videos and pick the one you like the best as a uni/city

But from what I’ve heard and experienced:
notts is fun
bath is pretty and close to Bristol
exeter has an overpopulation of fit blonde girls?? but is pretty dead
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ilililili
1) from my (limited) experience and general opinions I’ve picked up in banking atleast
bath=notts > Exeter. But not by much so don’t worry too much about this. I’d guess other sectors econ grads might go into would think similar

This ^^^^

Not sure why that other poster thinks Exeter has a better track record of placing students into banking. From both my experience (and what I think is consensus), Bath and Nottingham place more than Exeter. In terms of banking prospects, if you want to do a placement year then Bath is preferable, if you want to do the more conventional Spring, summer, grad offer route than both Bath and Nottingham are roughly equal tho this path is more common at Notts given the excellent placement year scheme at Bath.

Though, as stated before, this is general and we're talking about averages. A lot is to do with you as an individual. So ofc an Exeter Econ student can do much better than Bath/Notts ones, we're just talking about the median student in the general view
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tani_04
Thank you for the help! So would this mean that both bath and nottingham mostly only are maths focused in the first year? And that exeter is the only one out of the 3 that spaces the maths out in the 3 years?

Exeter's 3rd year modules -
Econometric Analysis
Law and Economics
Futures and Options
Financial Markets and Decisions 2
International Political Economy
International Economics
Public Economics 1
Behaviour, Decisions and Markets
Development Economics
Economic Growth

Advanced Mathematics for Economists
Labour Economics
Political Economics
Asset Pricing
Applied Economics for Business
Economics of Management Strategy
Causal Effects in Economics
Machine Learning for Economics
Global Environmental Economics
Economics Dissertation
Behavioural Economics: Theory and Practice
Economic Analysis and Pandemics
Applied Econometrics for Business
Econometrics: Cause and Effect
Bitcoin, Money and Trust

Bath 3rd year modules cover (very less info given on the website) =
econometrics 
economic history 
game theory 
industrial organisation 
economic systems

Let me know if your opinion has changed :smile:

Thanks.

I would still say Nottingham still has the most broad of the economics degrees

Exeter's options seem to revolve a lot around financial economics (not surprising since it's a popular topic), although it does cover a range of subjects.

I would still say Bath is more focused on business economics, but I don't think this list is enough to affirm that.

I think it would be easier to ask whether you have any specific preferences in terms of topics and what you intend to do with your degree, if you have studied economics at A Level or GCSE. Whilst economics at these levels wouldn't be enough to cover all the topics you can get at degree level, not go into the topics deep enough to give you a flavour of what they're about, they should be enough to make you aware of what's out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending