The Student Room Group

Overtaking

Today I preformed an overtake on a straight bit of 60 road, the road was clear, I pulled out and pulled back in with plenty of room follow the 2 second rule if not more. however the car was going about 50 so I pulled out and got to 60 but then it felt like he went a bit faster to stop me in the end I noticed I was doing about 67 my speedo is about 3 out so probably only 64, I dont think he had a dashcam but I worry that they will try and report me as the overtake was done correctly however the speed was abit to fast, should I worry or just forget about it?
Original post by Gerogry1234
Today I preformed an overtake on a straight bit of 60 road, the road was clear, I pulled out and pulled back in with plenty of room follow the 2 second rule if not more. however the car was going about 50 so I pulled out and got to 60 but then it felt like he went a bit faster to stop me in the end I noticed I was doing about 67 my speedo is about 3 out so probably only 64, I dont think he had a dashcam but I worry that they will try and report me as the overtake was done correctly however the speed was abit to fast, should I worry or just forget about it?

As long as you did the overtake correctly then you should be fine.
Not everyone has dash cams. Even if they did- then they cant be sure how fast you were going. They may know in their mind that you were speeding, but they cant determine exactly how fast you were going. So they couldnt really get you done for that.
If this person did speed up to try and stop you overtaking, then that person isnt exactly innocent anyway.
Thanks for that, I did the overtaking exactly the same as how I was taught too by my driving instructor, I'm still wrong for going over the speed limit tho so I probably wont try overtaking again or will learn to abort or something.
Reply 4
It's not uncommon to need to break the speed limit to overtake promptly and thus safely.
Original post by Gerogry1234

This. It's literally nothing to worry about. :smile:
Even if he were to submit the dashcam footage to the police; they couldn't charge a speeding offence. Mechanical evidence of speeding is only admissible if the device is Home Office type approved; which dash cams aren't.

That's not to say that the police can't prosecute over other obvious driving offences recorded on dash cam; such as roadsigns violations or just careless or dangerous driving.
report you for what ?

dashcam footage isn;t admissible for a speeding offence and anyway an indicated 67 , which likely are true 62 or 63 is within tolerances for a Speed prosecution even when the speed was determined by a police officer following you using an time and distance device or if you get caught on camera / radar./ laser

as a one off it would get marked down as an error on DSA test, Advanced test where you don't have exemptions or an entry assessment for a ES driving role

overtaking is not a statutory defence to speeding, but in the circumstances given it is unlikely that a prosecution would result and many Police officers , advanced driver trainers and the like would condone reducing ' time exposed' even if if aren't supposed to do it unless you have an Emergency Services exemption.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest