The Student Room Group

oxford or cambridge

i'm an average student, in yr 11 and that's because i haven't really put any effort into my lessons or revision. i know i am capable of getting excellent grades , but i must start focusing in lessons , which i intend to start. is it far-fetched to want to study at Oxford or Cambridge for medicine.I have a specific goal and route in mind, and honestly am intelligent enough to get amazing grades but have been lazy and potentially miserable- and this has affected my motivation , my ability to actually care about the present , let alone the future.i also think i had an autistic breakdown:/
I am likely going to attend my local sixth-from , which to be fair has better results for A-level that certain well known grammar schools (in my area) , i checked this on education gov beta site.
i feel like its stupid to want to go to Oxford/Cambridge because i don't feel like I have a chance, i don't know why i am posting this , because no one really knows the future , idk , was hoping someone like me got in and could share their story?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Hiya,
There are many people like you who have managed to get into Oxford and Cambridge- don't worry! Your goals and aspirations are fantastic and you should aim for them as much as possible.

I think when it comes to goals like these, it's easier to focus on the end goal without seeing all the work that goes in. You say that you're doing averagely in year 11- Oxford and Cambridge require really good GCSE grades to be considered. What can you do in the short term to improve your grades? Have you got a revision timetable? What are your strengths and weaknesses in each of your subjects? Questions like these can really help you visualise a path to getting good grades, which is the first step to getting into Oxford or Cambridge.

Planning on going to your local sixth form sounds great, but it's also important to recognise that in order to get good grades, you have to contribute. You can go to the best sixth form in the country, but if you don't put the work in it can be difficult to get results.

It's not stupid at all and you absolutely have a chance. Have you researched the pathway into medicine for Oxbridge? Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 3
Original post by ambrxxn1
i'm an average student, in yr 11 and that's because i haven't really put any effort into my lessons or revision. i know i am capable of getting excellent grades , but i must start focusing in lessons , which i intend to start. is it far-fetched to want to study at Oxford or Cambridge for medicine.I have a specific goal and route in mind, and honestly am intelligent enough to get amazing grades but have been lazy and potentially miserable- and this has affected my motivation , my ability to actually care about the present , let alone the future.i also think i had an autistic breakdown:/
I am likely going to attend my local sixth-from , which to be fair has better results for A-level that certain well known grammar schools (in my area) , i checked this on education gov beta site.
i feel like its stupid to want to go to Oxford/Cambridge because i don't feel like I have a chance, i don't know why i am posting this , because no one really knows the future , idk , was hoping someone like me got in and could share their story?

Hey, it's great that you have this aim, and it's definitely not stupid ! Gonville and Caius has a website (as do other colleges) where you can message current students doing medicine, I think that's worth checking out. Best of luck and keep working hard
Reply 4
Original post by ambrxxn1

Under achieved that knows they are capable of way way more. You are me, I got rejected from Cambridge but going to St. Andrews, pls just work it’s the best thing I ever did
Reply 5
Original post by Maya B
Hey, it's great that you have this aim, and it's definitely not stupid ! Gonville and Caius has a website (as do other colleges) where you can message current students doing medicine, I think that's worth checking out. Best of luck and keep working hard

Please could you send the link for this website as I cannot find it? Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by ryanmcl05
Under achieved that knows they are capable of way way more. You are me, I got rejected from Cambridge but going to St. Andrews, pls just work it’s the best thing I ever did

I’ll start , thanks .
Reply 7

Quick Reply