The Student Room Group

Need to cut words. Please help! Section on the menstrual cycle.

So i have an assignment with a ridiculously low word count & I haven’t got a clue what to remove. I need practically half the following but keep all main info:

The menstrual cycle is a repeating 28-day cycle. This cycle begins during puberty & ends with menopause. Changes occuring with the menstrual cycle are brought about by hormones produced by the ovaries & pituitary gland.

The first 4 days are the follicular phase. Follicles develop, & the uterus fills with nutrients for embryo nourishment. Without an embryo, oestrogen & progesterone levels drop; causing shedding of uterus lining & blood. Low oestrogen levels stimulate the pituitary gland to release follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), stimulating follicle growth & development, initiating ovum maturation.

The follicle grows during the next 4 days & FSH levels decrease. Oestrogen is secreted, suppressing other follicles from developing & stimulating the uterus to prepare a new layer. During the following 5 days, oestrogen continues increasing, thickening the endometrium & reducing mucus consistency, allowing sperm into the cervix. High oestrogen levels trigger the pituitary gland to release high levels of luteinising hormone (LH).

Surging of LH stimulates follicle rupture & ovulation begins around day 14. The corpus luteum develops from the follicles' remains, producing progesterone. Its build up is an indication of the ovum travelling & the uterus completes preparation.

Between days 15 & 26, the corpus luteum secretes oestrogen & progesterone. Progesterone prepares the endometrium for the embryo, thickening the uterus lining & thickening cervical mucus to prevent entry of sperm & bacteria.

If the uterus does not receive a fertilised ovum, production of oestrogen & progesterone stops, LH levels drop & can no longer maintain the corpus luteum. In the presence of a developing embryo, hCG is released, restoring the corpus luteum & maintaining oestrogen & progesterone levels.

Without hCG, there is no oestrogen/progesterone production. Lower oestrogen levels stimulate the pituitary gland to produce FSH, allowing the menstrual cycle to restart & the unfertilised egg is discarded.

The number of eggs and levels of female hormones decrease with age. This causes the menstrual cycle to stop, usually between 50-55. Called menopause, this is where a woman can no longer ovulate, becoming infertile.

Please help!
Original post by Anonymous
So i have an assignment with a ridiculously low word count & I haven’t got a clue what to remove. I need practically half the following but keep all main info:

The menstrual cycle is a repeating 28-day cycle. This cycle begins during puberty & ends with menopause. Changes occuring with the menstrual cycle are brought about by hormones produced by the ovaries & pituitary gland.

The first 4 days are the follicular phase. Follicles develop, & the uterus fills with nutrients for embryo nourishment. Without an embryo, oestrogen & progesterone levels drop; causing shedding of uterus lining & blood. Low oestrogen levels stimulate the pituitary gland to release follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), stimulating follicle growth & development, initiating ovum maturation.

The follicle grows during the next 4 days & FSH levels decrease. Oestrogen is secreted, suppressing other follicles from developing & stimulating the uterus to prepare a new layer. During the following 5 days, oestrogen continues increasing, thickening the endometrium & reducing mucus consistency, allowing sperm into the cervix. High oestrogen levels trigger the pituitary gland to release high levels of luteinising hormone (LH).

Surging of LH stimulates follicle rupture & ovulation begins around day 14. The corpus luteum develops from the follicles' remains, producing progesterone. Its build up is an indication of the ovum travelling & the uterus completes preparation.

Between days 15 & 26, the corpus luteum secretes oestrogen & progesterone. Progesterone prepares the endometrium for the embryo, thickening the uterus lining & thickening cervical mucus to prevent entry of sperm & bacteria.

If the uterus does not receive a fertilised ovum, production of oestrogen & progesterone stops, LH levels drop & can no longer maintain the corpus luteum. In the presence of a developing embryo, hCG is released, restoring the corpus luteum & maintaining oestrogen & progesterone levels.

Without hCG, there is no oestrogen/progesterone production. Lower oestrogen levels stimulate the pituitary gland to produce FSH, allowing the menstrual cycle to restart & the unfertilised egg is discarded.

The number of eggs and levels of female hormones decrease with age and when a woman stops ovulating this is called menopause

Please help!

The bits in bold are what I think you should remove.

Quick Reply