The Student Room Group

A levels in 4.5 months

Is there enough time (4.5 months) to revise for 2 a*'s as a resit candidate ?
Someone I know is resitting and is really quite anxious about it all but I think it should be ok since she's already done the a level before and needs to do a refresh of knowledge and then past papers
(she is resitting 2 a levels - bio being one of them )
Original post by techwiz12345
Someone I know is resitting and is really quite anxious about it all but I think it should be ok since she's already done the a level before and needs to do a refresh of knowledge and then past papers

What went wrong last time?

And, to add to Scotney's post above, what did she get first time around?
ahh ok she got a B last time and was 4 makrs from an A
Original post by Scotney
What went wrong last time?

She said she practiced so much but was 4 marks away from the A and next year the boundaries will be even higher so she's a little worried now
ahh ok she got a B last time and was 4 makrs from an A

It will be tough to go from a B to an A* in eighteen weeks - particularly in a subject like biology which has so much content and a difficult exam technique. Does she have formal tuition, via a private tutor? What is the other subject she's resitting?
Original post by Reality Check
It will be tough to go from a B to an A* in eighteen weeks - particularly in a subject like biology which has so much content and a difficult exam technique. Does she have formal tuition, via a private tutor? What is the other subject she's resitting?

she knows almost all the content - she is self studying at home !! I think she is sitting english language as her second !!
she knows almost all the content - she is self studying at home !! I think she is sitting english language as her second !!

Without being harsh, if she knew 'almost all the content' she wouldn't have got a B... Not unless she had terrible exam technique, which is a problem in and of itself.

It's do-able, but trying to do it yourself without any guidance (particularly with the biology) is going to be pretty tough. If she can afford to get some formal tuition (even targeted towards exam preparation) then that would increase her chances vastly.
OK thank you ! Do you think even an A is within reach ?

Without being harsh, if she knew 'almost all the content' she wouldn't have got a B... Not unless she had terrible exam technique, which is a problem in and of itself.

It's do-able, but trying to do it yourself without any guidance (particularly with the biology) is going to be pretty tough. If she can afford to get some formal tuition (even targeted towards exam preparation) then that would increase her chances vastly.

Without knowing her aptitude and work ethic, it really is impossible to say. However, with diligent and consistent work, most students should be able to improve somewhat. That said, not everyone is capable of an A/A*, regardless of the amount of work they put in.

The best thing she can do is crack on with it, and try to get some private tuition so her work can be guided and she doesn't waste the eighteen weeks working on stuff she doesn't need to whist neglecting that which is required to improve her grade. I presume she has done the NEA in English and biology (the practical endorsement) and passed them (I appreciate you might not know this, but it's something she'd need to deal with if she hasn't).
Without knowing her aptitude and work ethic, it really is impossible to say. However, with diligent and consistent work, most students should be able to improve somewhat. That said, not everyone is capable of an A/A*, regardless of the amount of work they put in.

The best thing she can do is crack on with it, and try to get some private tuition so her work can be guided and she doesn't waste the eighteen weeks working on stuff she doesn't need to whist neglecting that which is required to improve her grade. I presume she has done the NEA in English and biology (the practical endorsement) and passed them (I appreciate you might not know this, but it's something she'd need to deal with if she hasn't).

Yes ok - I can say that she works a lot now - all she does is work and she is really determined - i also know that she was predicted 2 A's
Ans I've asked her about the NEA and she has passed them
Yes ok - I can say that she works a lot now - all she does is work and she is really determined - i also know that she was predicted 2 A's
Ans I've asked her about the NEA and she has passed them

That's good that the NEA is completed then :smile:

I agree about tuition and also exam technique.There are loads of youtube content on this as well.Biology is a b..... because it is so much about keywords and precise application of content.But there is as I say lots of resources out there.
I agree with the other commenter. I tried self-studying Maths. Although I knew all the content, I got a high B in my AS because my exam technique was absolute trash, absolutely terrible. I ran out of time and could only finish half of my first paper. It doesn't matter how much revision you do if you don't know how to handle exams. A tutor to go over those tips will go a long way.

I do think it's doable, though. I know Maths is a completely different ballgame but with just four days of a tutor guiding me through exam techniques, I got nearly full marks on my second paper (a high A), and was predicted an A* for A2. She has what it takes -B in Biology through self-study is great. Just tell her to get a tutor to ensure she has the best preparation possible.
Original post by DarylO
I agree with the other commenter. I tried self-studying Maths. Although I knew all the content, I got a high B in my AS because my exam technique was absolute trash, absolutely terrible. I ran out of time and could only finish half of my first paper. It doesn't matter how much revision you do if you don't know how to handle exams. A tutor to go over those tips will go a long way.

I do think it's doable, though. I know Maths is a completely different ballgame but with just four days of a tutor guiding me through exam techniques, I got nearly full marks on my second paper (a high A), and was predicted an A* for A2. She has what it takes -B in Biology through self-study is great. Just tell her to get a tutor to ensure she has the best preparation possible.

ohh well done for that ! she was in school last year and got a B ... now she's self studying and aiming for an A at least !
ohh well done for that ! she was in school last year and got a B ... now she's self studying and aiming for an A at least !

Thank you :h:. Ohhh, I see. That's still a good grade and not far from an A. I hope she reaches her goal

Quick Reply

Latest