The Student Room Group

No reference

would top universities including Cambridge consider application without a reference?
Original post by Salmon44
would top universities including Cambridge consider application without a reference?

No.

To expand on that a bit, why aren't you able to get a reference? It doesn't have to be from a current teacher: it can be anyone who is/has been familiar with your academic work and can comment on your ability and suitability to study your subject.
I don't have one and I thought I would give more evidence on the interview if I get selected for the interview.
I am estranged, mature and doing the exam as a private candidate. It would have to be friends or the librarian?
I am estranged, mature and doing the exam as a private candidate. It would have to be friends or the librarian?

Friends aren't a suitable reference, and the librarian isn't going to be au fait with any of your academic work. Do you not have any professional references available, perhaps from previous employment - this would be better than nothing? @Peterhouse Admissions - what's the situation where a candidate cannot provide any suitable reference? Thanks :smile:
Thanks for the tag, @Reality Check!

I think we would be reluctant to consider an application without a reference, especially if the college isn't informed of why there isn't one. OP, if you really can't provide a reference, I would strongly recommend you email the college you're considering applying to and explain your situation. They might be able to suggest something, or clarify whether they might be able to consider you without one. If you are applying to a Mature College, they might have more experience of applicants in your position.

I hope this helps!
What about my teacher from high school? I have left my school a long time ago though
What about my teacher from high school? I have left my school a long time ago though

How long is 'long'?
5-6 years
5-6 years

I'm inclined to think that's too long ago. Could you provide a professional, (IE. work), reference if the college requested one?
no
no

That's going to raise a few concerns about what you've been up to for 5-6 years. As Peterhouse's advice above, then your only option is to contact the college(s) directly and explain your circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest