The Student Room Group

Not doing well in English

Hey, I just got my mock English Literature grade back (This paper only had poetry and unseen poetry), and I got a 6. Honestly I wasn't expecting that since I thought it had gone well, but clearly it didn't. Does anyone have any english poetry tips? I use Mr Bruff for notes but how do I improve my writing?
I did AQA English literature and took the exams in 2019. I got a 9 so I'll do my best to help

It's been a few years since my exam but I found the most helpful thing for poetry is outlining all the possible themes (eg. love, lust, family, nature, death - I did the love poems rather than war and conflict) and organising all of the poems into every relevant category. It helps to quickly think of relevant poems in the exam and is a lifesaver for comparison questions.
Another thing which was the most helpful for me was planning answers and practice paragraphs. Pick 2 random poems and find/create possible exam questions where they might be compared and choose the quotes you would use, practise annotating them and maybe do 1 practice paragraph. After doing this paragraph I would highlight it for AO1, AO2 and AO3 to make sure I hit all the marks. Most of the time I was lacking in context so I made sure to focus on this. Just keep doing this and start doing it from memory once you have memorised the quotes for the poems.
And I definitely recommend Mr Bruff! But don't spend too long just reading notes/watching videos because the most helpful way to practice is to actually do it.
Also, make sure to practice full questions/papers in timed conditions so you know that timing isn't affecting your grades.

I was lucky because my teachers were more than happy to mark my practice paragraphs/questions/papers so it could be worth asking if they would be happy to do the same for you.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Bilbocat24
I did AQA English literature and took the exams in 2019. I got a 9 so I'll do my best to help

It's been a few years since my exam but I found the most helpful thing for poetry is outlining all the possible themes (eg. love, lust, family, nature, death - I did the love poems rather than war and conflict) and organising all of the poems into every relevant category. It helps to quickly think of relevant poems in the exam and is a lifesaver for comparison questions.
Another thing which was the most helpful for me was planning answers and practice paragraphs. Pick 2 random poems and find/create possible exam questions where they might be compared and choose the quotes you would use, practise annotating them and maybe do 1 practice paragraph. After doing this paragraph I would highlight it for AO1, AO2 and AO3 to make sure I hit all the marks. Most of the time I was lacking in context so I made sure to focus on this. Just keep doing this and start doing it from memory once you have memorised the quotes for the poems.
And I definitely recommend Mr Bruff! But don't spend too long just reading notes/watching videos because the most helpful way to practice is to actually do it.
Also, make sure to practice full questions/papers in timed conditions so you know that timing isn't affecting your grades.

I was lucky because my teachers were more than happy to mark my practice paragraphs/questions/papers so it could be worth asking if they would be happy to do the same for you.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: I'll try this out
Original post by nooni_
Hey, I just got my mock English Literature grade back (This paper only had poetry and unseen poetry), and I got a 6. Honestly I wasn't expecting that since I thought it had gone well, but clearly it didn't. Does anyone have any english poetry tips? I use Mr Bruff for notes but how do I improve my writing?

Hi there, I've got loads of tips and strategies on how to write top grade poetry analysis (general) here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7Z9oa3pMo8Fv5yfS6zgoC7_

Are you doing the Power and Conflict anthology? If so, you can also check out my detailed analysis on all of those poems here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7apTVN3zgUuquzu8B3Dk_1j
Reply 4
Original post by Hyperbolit
Hi there, I've got loads of tips and strategies on how to write top grade poetry analysis (general) here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7Z9oa3pMo8Fv5yfS6zgoC7_

Are you doing the Power and Conflict anthology? If so, you can also check out my detailed analysis on all of those poems here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7apTVN3zgUuquzu8B3Dk_1j

Hey, thanks. Yes, I'm doing power and conflict :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest