The Student Room Group

Getting consistent good grades in English Lit

I'm in Year 10 and have just started doing GCSE style essays that are graded to that standard. I'm finding it difficult to get consistent grades in my essays and I don't know what the difference is between my lower marked essays and my higher ones regarding actual analysis and content. Are there any pieces of exam technique that can help me access better grades??
Original post by Bea12305
I'm in Year 10 and have just started doing GCSE style essays that are graded to that standard. I'm finding it difficult to get consistent grades in my essays and I don't know what the difference is between my lower marked essays and my higher ones regarding actual analysis and content. Are there any pieces of exam technique that can help me access better grades??

I'm not sure if it's helpful but last year, I did my GCSEs and got pretty good grades thankfully and for me when it comes to writing essays, depending on the subject, different subjects will require you to do more or less of something. Usually, higher-marked essays tend to have a developed argument in greater detail and constantly link to the question or statement compared to lower-marked essays which subtly link to the question and their argument is less developed. Higher-marked essays tend to have a counter-argument as well which shows that you understand the question or statement competently. Counter arguments are not a guarantee for a high mark depending on what subject you're writing for and the exam board but you could introduce perceptive ideas in your essays to make your essays stronger. Subjects like history want specific, relevant knowledge like statistics or something that screams a 'killer' fact in order to gain a mark and of course developing your arguments is vital too. I don't know if that's useful or not. I hope I didn't overwhelm you too much.
Reply 2
Original post by bayan2005
I'm not sure if it's helpful but last year, I did my GCSEs and got pretty good grades thankfully and for me when it comes to writing essays, depending on the subject, different subjects will require you to do more or less of something. Usually, higher-marked essays tend to have a developed argument in greater detail and constantly link to the question or statement compared to lower-marked essays which subtly link to the question and their argument is less developed. Higher-marked essays tend to have a counter-argument as well which shows that you understand the question or statement competently. Counter arguments are not a guarantee for a high mark depending on what subject you're writing for and the exam board but you could introduce perceptive ideas in your essays to make your essays stronger. Subjects like history want specific, relevant knowledge like statistics or something that screams a 'killer' fact in order to gain a mark and of course developing your arguments is vital too. I don't know if that's useful or not. I hope I didn't overwhelm you too much.

Yes this is useful, thank you.
Original post by Bea12305

Hi there, to get top grades on GCSE lit essays, you'll need to make sure that there's 1) insightful analysis well supported by textual evidence (e.g. quotes), 2) contextual background that relates meaningfully to your analysis of the topic, and 3) eloquent language and accurate grammar. What do you find especially challenging, and what texts do you study? I run a YouTube channel dedicated to sharing top grade English lit study videos, and I've got quite a lot of sample top grade essay walkthroughs that you may find helpful. You can check them out here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7a5LNSC-8X4Pp9B4EVa6Fvi
Reply 4
Original post by Hyperbolit
Hi there, to get top grades on GCSE lit essays, you'll need to make sure that there's 1) insightful analysis well supported by textual evidence (e.g. quotes), 2) contextual background that relates meaningfully to your analysis of the topic, and 3) eloquent language and accurate grammar. What do you find especially challenging, and what texts do you study? I run a YouTube channel dedicated to sharing top grade English lit study videos, and I've got quite a lot of sample top grade essay walkthroughs that you may find helpful. You can check them out here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7a5LNSC-8X4Pp9B4EVa6Fvi

Thank you for your advice! I am studying Romeo and Juliet, A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls. Your Youtube channel looks helpful so I will definitely watch some of those videos before my next essay! I think what I am struggling with, although this is a bit vague, is writing in a way that will help me get marks rather than waffling on about topics not very related to the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending