The Student Room Group

Having a council flat and living on campus

I have a council flat and want to go university outside my city but the problem is I might lose flat if I’m living in the midlands temporarily? I can’t go to a uni in my city because I don’t have enough points for the next year.. so I have to go to the university I’ve been going to. I’ve just got this council flat. I don’t want to say what university incase the council find this
Original post by Anonymous
I have a council flat and want to go university outside my city but the problem is I might lose flat if I’m living in the midlands temporarily? I can’t go to a uni in my city because I don’t have enough points for the next year.. so I have to go to the university I’ve been going to. I’ve just got this council flat. I don’t want to say what university incase the council find this

Sounds expensive! Is swapping your flat an option?
Read through your tenancy.
I can get student loan and it will be able to pay my rent in uni and my council flat, I get housing benefit so it gets paid but yeah what do you think? I might have to use student loan to pay my council flat..
Original post by Anonymous
I can get student loan and it will be able to pay my rent in uni and my council flat, I get housing benefit so it gets paid but yeah what do you think? I might have to use student loan to pay my council flat..

In most circumstances housing benefit entitlement is effected by student loans.
Yeah I was thinking, I won’t get housing benefit. I can cover the rent with student loan so do you think there will be a issue with me living away? Like will I lose my council flat? I got the flat because my parents home was overcrowded which made me homeless..
Do you have a child, carer responsibilities, criminal convictions or a disability? :confused:
Most full time uni students in England are ineligible for their own council accomodation or welfare payments and have to live off their student maintainence loans, savings, part time income and any uni bursaries or allowances from relatives.
Either renting student only accomodation or in a mixed private houseshare.
I’ve got mental health problems, currently getting housing benefits and universal credit. I also get personal independence payments. It’s just that I’m worried I might lose my flat if I live in uni..
You can have financial help through disabled students allowance they also offer support from a mental health mentors one organisation that might be able to help you is www actstudentsupport co uk They have lots of great advice on their website and have links to the form you may need to fill in to get their support. Some people are lost in their fires, others are forged in them!
If you are on a student loan you will almost certainly not qualify for housing benefit or income replacement components of Universal Credit, so my worry would be how to pay for both halls and maintain a council home + bills off a student loan, I dunno how much your PIP is but you're looking at a lot of bills here.

It's obv a bit of an ethical quandary wanting to essentially keep a council properly mothballed for yourself when other people facing homelessness are waiting, but I'd be surprised if they didn't allow some provision for people staying away from home temporarily. You're honestly as well asking the council directly what the terms and options are, you're only asking for now and they wont shout 'AH HA! and evict you for asking.
Yeah exactly 😂 I contacted them on a random email and their already asking for my name and address, doesn’t seem like a good idea if I tell them.. i get enough from PIP. I’m saving that money and universal credit I get to live on when I’m in uni. It’s just that I want to complete my degree so I can earn a decent amount of money
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you so much! I will have a look into it. Fingers cross it helps me

Original post by Support Murphy
You can have financial help through disabled students allowance they also offer support from a mental health mentors one organisation that might be able to help you is www actstudentsupport co uk They have lots of great advice on their website and have links to the form you may need to fill in to get their support. Some people are lost in their fires, others are forged in them!
Original post by Support Murphy

I’ve searched actstudent support but there’s no website mate
Original post by Councilflat200
Yeah exactly 😂 I contacted them on a random email and their already asking for my name and address, doesn’t seem like a good idea if I tell them.. i get enough from PIP. I’m saving that money and universal credit I get to live on when I’m in uni. It’s just that I want to complete my degree so I can earn a decent amount of money

They need to know who they are talking to and verify you do live in their area. (you get the same question anytime you email a politician) You aren't 'telling' them anything or asking for a change, you are simply asking a question abut your lease. 'How long can you spend away from home for say, a period of study?'

Quick Reply