England and the Schengen Treaty Watch

This discussion is closed.
JakeR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi everyone! I was wondering how long English/UK citizens were allowed to stay in the Schengen area without a visa?

And also, if anyone knows anything about UK Immigration, I'm an American hoping to go to University in the UK, can I apply for citizenship or a residency permit after I graguate? If no, how many years must I legally reside in the UK to get that? I'm willing to denounce my American citizenship also if the UK has rules about double citizenship.

So, thank you to anyone who can give me any insight into this!
ShOrTcAkE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
mmm...tried googling?
JakeR
Rep:
?
yea, I heard about 20 different answers so I was wondering if anyone else knew.

haha, the advertisement at the top of the page is advertizing immigrating to the US, that's ironic, haha.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JakeR)
Hi everyone! I was wondering how long English/UK citizens were allowed to stay in the Schengen area without a visa?

And also, if anyone knows anything about UK Immigration, I'm an American hoping to go to University in the UK, can I apply for citizenship or a residency permit after I graguate? If no, how many years must I legally reside in the UK to get that? I'm willing to denounce my American citizenship also if the UK has rules about double citizenship.

UK citizens can move freely in the EU. The only issue is when you want to work...

Like many Americans, don't get confused over England/UK. England is not the UK, it's just a region of it. Just like Texas is not the USA.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Shenzhen? :confused:

As far as I know, you need a visa to go to mainland China. (Not for Hong Kong or Macau)
jpowell
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JakeR)

UK citizens do not need a visa to go to the Schengen area because they are all EU members as well.

You must reside in the UK for 4 years legally, after which you are granted the permanant right to stay. After a further year you may then apply for Naturalisation, which will grant you British Citizenship.

You wouldn't lose US citizenship automatically, but you would be in the peculiar situation of (assuming you live in the UK) to pay both UK and US tax. So it may actually be preferable to give up the US citizenship.
JakeR
Rep:
?
UK citizens can move freely in the EU. The only issue is when you want to work...
What happens when you want to work there? I thought that in the EU you could work around the continent without a visa, or is that just for the Schengen countries?

Ok, so just clearing this up, If I were to do a 4 year degree in England, and then because of my student visa I'm allowed to stay for another 2 years, I already know that part, then after that I can apply for citizenship. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks everyone!
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AntiMagicMan)
UK citizens do not need a visa to go to the Schengen area because they are all EU members as well.

You must reside in the UK for 4 years legally, after which you are granted the permanant right to stay. After a further year you may then apply for Naturalisation, which will grant you British Citizenship.

You wouldn't lose US citizenship automatically, but you would be in the peculiar situation of (assuming you live in the UK) to pay both UK and US tax. So it may actually be preferable to give up the US citizenship.
Don't we have a double-taxation treaty with the US?
We do with so many places, I thought that the Us would have been one of the first to have one with.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AntiMagicMan)

The UK, just like Ireland never signed the Schengen agreement. The UK accepts the biggest number of immigrants per year so there were issues there of making the UK too open. Since it already is the most open European country to immigrants.
You need a special work authorisation, as a British citizen, to be allowed to work in another EU country. For anything else, such as studying, travelling, purchasing goods, you're totally free.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
Shenzhen? :confused:

As far as I know, you need a visa to go to mainland China. (Not for Hong Kong or Macau)

:rolleyes: Hah, I can't believe what a moron I am. I just realised that you were talking about something totally different.
JakeR
Rep:
?
Hah, I can't believe what a moron I am. I just realised that you were talking about something totally different.
yea, hahahaha I decided not so say anything before, I was lauphing really hard though! hahaha
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JakeR)
yea, hahahaha I decided not so say anything before, I was lauphing really hard though! hahaha
...*blush*
JakeR
Rep:
?
damnit! i just talked to someone at the french embassy here in the us and student visa's don't count towards the french 5 year naturalization period. does anyone know if being in the UK for 4 years on student visa's counts townards the naturalization? thanks!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.03%
No (234)
75.97%

Watched Threads