The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

*Star*Guitar*
Do you actually know how much that has a bearing on becoming a solicitor? Do you think I'd be reading a law degree at MMU if I wasn't going to become a lawyer from it? Do you think MMU would still be running the course if so few got a job from it?
Do you think I would have been accepted onto placements and part-time work at a firm if the University had such importance as you think?

No.

Again, do your research and then come back to me with even the slightest tangible point.

This is really not me putting down your intelligence for the reasons I stated in my last post, but I would really like to know what major firms offer TCs to MMU graduates. It's honestly always struck me as odd to see people studying LLBs at Met universities...
serrellen
In his grades. You can hardly base someone's intelligence on their opinion, which is absolutely subjective.

Wow and even I thought you'd be able to see why I put that.

I am basing it, of course, on his ability to put forward a cohesive argument.
So far, it has been rather lacking.
kultist
Yes you can. The OP has retarded opinions.

"Retarded" in itself is an offensive word which I don't suggest you use. Just a pointer.
Reply 163
serrellen
No need for the rant. I am of course contrite for suggesting that, say, you might have done even slightly better had you gone to one of the 91 better UK institutions.

Look, can we get off this whole silly university tangent and go back to our main topic of discussion, namely that the OP has a penis on his head?
Reply 164
kultist
Yes you can. The OP has retarded opinions.

Well lots of people do agree with me on different aspects of my opinions, perhaps not all of them simultaneously. It may also just not be to the same extent.

I could equally say your opinion on something was retarded and therefore you are stupid
Reply 165
numb3rb0y
Manchester Metropolitan University is objectively an awful higher education institution from an academic perspective. Given how poor a measure of base intelligence A-levels are that doesn't really speak to that quality in people going there, but it's still not something I'd want to advertise.

ah ok cheers :|

tbh, i think people even going to uni is an achievement and shouldn't be put down like this. out of a group of something like 20 friends, me and one other are the only ones that got into uni. . .
Reply 166
kultist
Look, can we get off this whole silly university tangent and go back to our main topic of discussion, namely that the OP has a penis on his head?

:rofl: that's going in the sig. . .
Reply 167
serrellen
"Retarded" in itself is an offensive word which I don't suggest you use. Just a pointer.

I'm sorry, I went back and fixed that post.
numb3rb0y
This is really not me putting down your intelligence for the reasons I stated in my last post, but I would really like to know what major firms offer TCs to MMU graduates. It's honestly always struck me as odd to see people studying LLBs at Met universities...

Is this from a rather distant viewpoint?
Because I've done enough research and talked to enough firms to know that the doors are really not that closed to students who are not at redbrick unis or the like.
In fact, there are plenty of Oxbridge students with firsts/2:1s that are struggling for TCs/pupillage.
If I thought I had no chance, I would not be going down this career path.
Reply 169
kultist

Very witty....well done.
Reply 170
seriously, why are you insulting each other's intelligence? poor *star*guitar* is getting it all, what did she do to you?
Reply 171
poossum
Very witty....well done.

Thanks, I do try.
*Star*Guitar*

In fact, there are plenty of Oxbridge students with firsts/2:1s that are struggling for TCs/pupillage.

So you're saying MMU is as worth going to as Oxbridge? Well, it's an opinion I suppose. I really doubt you'd put up much of a fight against an Oxbridge law graduate with a first, though.
emilina
*star*guitar* is getting it all, what did she do to you?

Went to MMU and then tried to act as if she was intellectually superior.
*Star*Guitar*
Because I've done enough research and talked to enough firms to know that the doors are really not that closed to students who are not at redbrick unis or the like.

I know all about the people from top-ranked places that get good-classification degrees and still don't manage to get TCs... I guess I just assumed that if an Oxbridge graduate couldn't get one then there's no way in hell someone from an ex-poly could.
Reply 175
*Star*Guitar*

"So i'm gonna give this Oxford graduate this placement?"
"Yeh"
"Hang on, there is a girl from Manchester Met on the phone, STOP EVERYTHING, GET HER DOWN HERE NOW!!!"
numb3rb0y
I know all about the people from top-ranked places that get good-classification degrees and still don't manage to get TCs... I guess I just assumed that if an Oxbridge graduate couldn't get one then there's no way in hell someone from an ex-poly could.

Key point: its not all about academics.

This as been debated 'till the cows come home. At the end of the day, everyone is different, the firm's cultures are different, it takes a bit of luck with who's reading your application / at the interview, so you just have to do what you can and go for it.
Reply 177
serrellen
Went to MMU and then tried to act as if she was intellectually superior.

who said she isn't? which uni you go to isn't everything you know.

and from the posts the OP has been making, it isn't hard to act intellectually superior tbh.

what i like, is that you think you are superior to all of us. why is that?
Reply 178
*Star*Guitar*

This as been debated 'till the cows come home. At the end of the day, everyone is different, the firm's cultures are different, it takes a bit of luck with who's reading your application / at the interview, so you just have to do what you can and go for it.

The firms culture? What some are good and some are bad? Some make money and can afford to recruit Oxbridge Grads? Others can't.
*Star*Guitar*

This as been debated 'till the cows come home. At the end of the day, everyone is different.

And for "different", substitute "of different abilities".

Latest