The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sociology is NOT easy.

I don't think any of them are, compared to GCSE standards, but then...business seems to involve very little effort, but then I don't do it so I couldn't comment...
Oh dear, not to get myself into trouble...

Actually, check the lists of subjects that Oxford and Cambridge regard as good and not so good...

You'll get a pretty good indication from that.

As a general rule, the less traditional subjects are seen as the 'easier' A-Levels. Also tend to be the ones with hundreds of students on the course and the promise of a trip to Disneyland.
Check the blacklisted subjects that universities have recently released. That should give you some idea. The 'hard' A-Levels are seen as Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Further Maths. But I'm sure there are others that are hard. Ask someone who studies all them and the chances are they don't find them that hard.
It all depends :smile:
Reply 4
mchammer
People at school always seem to talk about 'easier' a level subjects, I was just wondering what subjects these may be, surely they're all the same? I was thinking subjects like HE or sociology but y'know, just wondering???

I was having this conversation earlier with somebody at college. Basically, any subject that ends in the word 'studies', e.g. media studies, business studies. Cambridge, Oxford and I think Imperial have a list of A-level subjects they don't accept, because they lack difficulty in comparison to traditional subjects (with the exception of P.E and Drama I suppose though, it's just that those unis don't do those degrees).

A-levels aren't easy, they're a lot of work, some subjects are more technical though. I've always been pretty good across the board in art and science subjects but having done a mixture for a-level (maths, physics, german, philosophy, english lit) if you want an easier route, but are prepared to put the hours in, opt ofr art subjects, e.g. sociology, english etc.

Just want to add that in my experience as well, languages are by far the hardest subjects. I know it's down to the person but a lot of people in my classes agreed that they were some of the hardest exams we'd ever taken. That's not to say they're impossible, just blood y hard lol!
Reply 5
where is the oxford list?
Reply 6
curtis
I was having this conversation earlier with somebody at college. Basically, any subject that ends in the word 'studies', e.g. media studies, business studies. Cambridge, Oxford and I think Imperial have a list of A-level subjects they don't accept, because they lack difficulty in comparison to traditional subjects (with the exception of P.E and Drama I suppose though, it's just that those unis don't do those degrees).

A-levels aren't easy, they're a lot of work, some subjects are more technical though. I've always been pretty good across the board in art and science subjects but having done a mixture for a-level (maths, physics, german, philosophy, english lit) if you want an easier route, but are prepared to put the hours in, opt ofr art subjects, e.g. sociology, english etc.

in that case would you consider religious studies a level easy? Because that's not backlisted and i think it's a harder subject than history
Reply 7
mchammer
where is the oxford list?

I would naturally assume on the university website, no?
Reply 8
I know Im being stupid but would you say my choices are easy - bearing in mind I got 6A*, 2A, 2B at GCSE:

Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Economics (More directed at business this year)
Reply 9
Jinxy
in that case would you consider religious studies a level easy? Because that's not backlisted and i think it's a harder subject than history

Religious studies would be an exception I think, and as you said it's not blacklisted, if it was an easier A-level it'd be on the list.
Reply 10
Anything apart from sciences and maths.
Reply 11
mchammer
People at school always seem to talk about 'easier' a level subjects, I was just wondering what subjects these may be, surely they're all the same? I was thinking subjects like HE or sociology but y'know, just wondering???

It just depends on the person, personally I would find doing Art or Textiles at A-level difficult, simply because I'm not really the sort who enjoys messing around with paint and looking at other artists (I did photography last year and it literally took up nearly all of my spare time!)

You never know whether someone who is good at Maths or Physics could do, say, English. Whatever is "Easier" for you is easier for you.

Or by "Easier" did you mean "Supposedly easier, because Oxbridge don't accept them" :P
mchammer
I know Im being stupid but would you say my choices are easy - bearing in mind I got 6A*, 2A, 2B at GCSE:

Geography, yes.

But I think it's only geographers who realise.

The other 3, no.
Reply 13
mchammer

You'd be fine applying to any of the top universities with those subjects, I wouldn't worry. The only subject there that might be considered 'easier' would be economics I think. It all depends on what degree you have in mind (that's if you do have one in mind). If you don't, as I didn't when picking my a-levels, just pick subjects you enjoy.
Sociology is not easy. At all. Maybe something like food tech.
Reply 15
Akkuz
Anything apart from sciences and maths.

oh yeah? and from what experience is that based on?
Reply 16
curtis
Cambridge, Oxford and I think Imperial have a list of A-level subjects they don't accept, because they lack difficulty in comparison to traditional subjects

I'm not sure it's this. I think the official spiel is that they don't offer the right sort of preparation for courses at those unis. That's not exactly the same as saying they're not difficult enough. For my money, all the A-Level courses are difficult. I actually think that maths people get off lightly: maybe an hour or two's homework every now and then, whereas the psychologists and sociologists always seem to be writing some essay or researching some bearded man.
Reply 17
in general, things with "studies" in the name are said to be easier and possibly psychology in comparisson to something like history
i wouldnt call them easy - or you are going to end up with serious amounts of neg rep

the official definitions unis use for things like sociology/media etc is:

"these subjects fail to provide you with sufficient academic preparation for our courses"
Reply 19
Hmm my friends did Travel & Tourism double award A-level, that could be considered easy, all they did was go Paris Disneyland etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending