The Student Room Group

should i drop out for a russel group uni?

So i’m looking for advice, as i’m wondering if it would be better for me to stay in the university that I’m currently studying at or drop out with some debt from this year and apply for University of Leeds which has a better reputation. I study Bsc(Hons)Human physiology at Manchester met Uni and am wanting to become a physicians associate by doing my postgraduate at the University of manchester (i’m aiming for a first). However, when originally applying on the UCAS cycle i applied for a different course (Cardiac physiology) at unis including the university of Leeds and I got a contextual offer(my grades are BBD*) I decided last minute I wanted to do Human physiology and become a physicians associate and applied for the man met degree on UCAS extra. But Uni of Leeds offer Bsc(Hons) Human physiology and with this offer a reduced offer of BBB, which I would probably be eligible for as I have been offered a reduced offer previously for cardiac physiology. However, dropping out would mean I would be in debt for the first year of this course and I would have to find someone to replace my contract for my second year house. Would this process be worth it to attend a russell group University with a higher ranking even if i’m doing a postgrad hopefully at one? advice on this would be appreciated because i’m really stuck on what to do!
(edited 1 year ago)
This is a really silly thing to do.

Are you enjoying your current course?
Do you like living in Manchester?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
This is a really silly thing to do.

Are you enjoying your current course?
Do you like living in Manchester?

honestly i can’t tell if i’m being ridiculous or not as i didn’t know the importance of Russell group unis until recently. I am enjoying my course as i find the human body fascinating :smile: and honestly manchester is great
I think you'd find the disruption of moving unis would outweigh any (arguable) benefit of moving to a higher ranked uni (RG or otherwise). That's assuming that you could find somewhere that would consider a transfer, not guaranteed.

Just smash a first in and then move onto your postgrad course.
Original post by Admit-One
I think you'd find the disruption of moving unis would outweigh any (arguable) benefit of moving to a higher ranked uni (RG or otherwise). That's assuming that you could find somewhere that would consider a transfer, not guaranteed.

Just smash a first in and then move onto your postgrad course.

Exactly my thoughts. Ur enjoying ur course so don’t let that bog u down. Do well and move onto a Russel group uni for ur postgraduate. That seems more logical bc u save money, time, hassle and u don’t have to waste a year. Also, the most important thing is that you’re enjoying it
Original post by evelouise
honestly i can’t tell if i’m being ridiculous or not as i didn’t know the importance of Russell group unis until recently. I am enjoying my course as i find the human body fascinating :smile: and honestly manchester is great

For healthcare careers like PA the RG doesn't mean anything.
Stick with what works :biggrin:
stay where you are - your choice of uni for the masters will be more important.
Hey, hope you're well! Just saw one of your previous threads last year about no Cardiac response/interview at end of March? What happened after this if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by evelouise
So i’m looking for advice, as i’m wondering if it would be better for me to stay in the university that I’m currently studying at or drop out with some debt from this year and apply for University of Leeds which has a better reputation. I study Bsc(Hons)Human physiology at Manchester met Uni and am wanting to become a physicians associate by doing my postgraduate at the University of manchester (i’m aiming for a first). However, when originally applying on the UCAS cycle i applied for a different course (Cardiac physiology) at unis including the university of Leeds and I got a contextual offer(my grades are BBD*) I decided last minute I wanted to do Human physiology and become a physicians associate and applied for the man met degree on UCAS extra. But Uni of Leeds offer Bsc(Hons) Human physiology and with this offer a reduced offer of BBB, which I would probably be eligible for as I have been offered a reduced offer previously for cardiac physiology. However, dropping out would mean I would be in debt for the first year of this course and I would have to find someone to replace my contract for my second year house. Would this process be worth it to attend a russell group University with a higher ranking even if i’m doing a postgrad hopefully at one? advice on this would be appreciated because i’m really stuck on what to do!

Quick Reply

Latest