The Student Room Group

A level choices

hii i am in Yr 11 and am currently finalising a level applications. i am leaning towards chemistry, biology and geography. i am looking to study optometry in the future and the requirements are 2 sciences( chem and bio) with AA and an additional a level at a B. i was wondering what your opinions are on chem, bio and geography at a level. ive heard chem is a big step up and that geography is really boring. however i really enjoy chem... any opinions of people who have done a levels in chem bio and geography would be rlly helpful. preferably people who did/ are doing AQA for all 3 subjects. Thanks!!!
Original post by tania bee
hii i am in Yr 11 and am currently finalising a level applications. i am leaning towards chemistry, biology and geography. i am looking to study optometry in the future and the requirements are 2 sciences( chem and bio) with AA and an additional a level at a B. i was wondering what your opinions are on chem, bio and geography at a level. ive heard chem is a big step up and that geography is really boring. however i really enjoy chem... any opinions of people who have done a levels in chem bio and geography would be rlly helpful. preferably people who did/ are doing AQA for all 3 subjects. Thanks!!!

i chose bio, chem , maths and eng lit ( i might change eng lit to psychology)
i wanna study med
Reply 2

Hello!! I am currently in year 13 going onto studying optometry! I do AQA a-level biology, chemistry and business studies and personally I think that year 12 chemistry wasn't a huge step up from gcse as some people make it out to be. As for biology, in my opinion I don't think biology is difficult but it is the fact that there is a lot to learn and remember. I do believe that if you put in the work you will be able to achieve the grades needed!

These are all just my opinions and others may think differently! If you have any other questions, please ask!
Original post by melhana
Hello!! I am currently in year 13 going onto studying optometry! I do AQA a-level biology, chemistry and business studies and personally I think that year 12 chemistry wasn't a huge step up from gcse as some people make it out to be. As for biology, in my opinion I don't think biology is difficult but it is the fact that there is a lot to learn and remember. I do believe that if you put in the work you will be able to achieve the grades needed!

These are all just my opinions and others may think differently! If you have any other questions, please ask!

Hi, I am doing the same A levels currently in yr 12 and I want to study medicine. I was unsure about business studies before since I havent studied it at GCSE but i cant change it now anyways. How are you finding it. Any resources you would recommend?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mxriam88
Hi, I am doing the same A levels currently in yr 12 and I want to study medicine. I was unsure about business studies before since I havent studied it at GCSE but i cant change it now anyways. How are you finding it. Any resources you would recommend?

Hey there! I'm finding business really good! Resources that I would recommend would definitely be Tutor2u. They have a wide variety of resources that can help you with your studies such as detailed youtube videos, summarised notes, quizzes and a revision workbook. Additionally, they have an insta where they post updates within the business world (beneficial as they could be examples that you could use exam questions) as well as revision questions!
Original post by mellhanax
Hey there! I'm finding business really good! Resources that I would recommend would definitely be Tutor2u. They have a wide variety of resources that can help you with your studies such as detailed youtube videos, summarised notes, quizzes and a revision workbook. Additionally, they have an insta where they post updates within the business world (beneficial as they could be examples that you could use exam questions) as well as revision questions!

Thankyou! I have heard about tutor2u will definitely use it. Also, just wanted to ask if business puts you at a disadvantage eventhough most unis only require biology and chemistry at a-level for medicine,as it is a very competitive course.
Original post by mxriam88
Thankyou! I have heard about tutor2u will definitely use it. Also, just wanted to ask if business puts you at a disadvantage eventhough most unis only require biology and chemistry at a-level for medicine,as it is a very competitive course.

im in yr 11 , i assumed that if you study a scientific subject (ma , bio , phys )they put you at an advantage when applying for uni's for med
but tbh i have no clue ,

Geography is far from boring - it covers a wide range of topics so some will interest to you, some might not. The advantages of taking geography are that the statistical testing content is similar to what is covered in biology, and the NEA course work accounts for 20% of the final mark so that is a nice chunk to have under your belt before exams.

If you change your mind about optometry, your subject combination also opens up other degree/career options such as environmental science. Try out the following A level explorer tool:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Original post by ambrxxn1
im in yr 11 , i assumed that if you study a scientific subject (ma , bio , phys )they put you at an advantage when applying for uni's for med
but tbh i have no clue ,

Biology and chemistry are the most requested A level subjects for medicine, and most unis require two sciences plus any other subject. Check out the following thread for more details:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Heya!
Every a-level is a big step from GCSEs but you will be eased into it so don't worry, there's plenty of time :h: I did chem and bio and they are a great combo! As long as you keep up with the revision and make sure to do lots of practice questions for each topic you should be fine. If it helps, Study mind offers free chem and bio practice questions and revision notes!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 10
i chose bio, chem , maths and eng lit ( i might change eng lit to psychology)i wanna study med

that's a nice combo!!! good luck๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
Reply 11
Original post by melhana

ahh thank you sm for that!! srsly made me feel a lot better๐Ÿ™‚ i really enjoy chem and so im hoping that doesn't change going into yr 12/13. and that's great that your going onto optometry too!! i wish you the best. thanks again:smile:
that's a nice combo!!! good luck๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

thanks , should i change eng lit to psychology?
Reply 13
thanks , should i change eng lit to psychology?

personally i recommend sticking with English lit unless you are really interested in psychology,๐Ÿ™‚ presuming you chose english lit as you enjoyed it. ive heard that bio chemistry and maths are content heavy and english lit is 20% coursework and is made up of prose poetry and drama etc. that gives you a wide range of content and skills to develop. however i suppose psychology would help you as you are looking to working the medical field so it would definitely help in understanding patients better. it would not affect your chances of getting into medicine at all, so do what you enjoy the most. i hope this helped ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
Reply 14
Original post by normaw
Geography is far from boring - it covers a wide range of topics so some will interest to you, some might not. The advantages of taking geography are that the statistical testing content is similar to what is covered in biology, and the NEA course work accounts for 20% of the final mark so that is a nice chunk to have under your belt before exams.
If you change your mind about optometry, your subject combination also opens up other degree/career options such as environmental science. Try out the following A level explorer tool:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

thank you for that, i wasn't actually aware about the similarities in statistical testing content within both bio and geography!! ive also heard some of the atmospherical topics are covered in both bio and geography so i suppose there are a lot more transferable skills then i had thought. that's really reassuring, thank you๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
Reply 15
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!Every a-level is a big step from GCSEs but you will be eased into it so don't worry, there's plenty of time ๏ฟผ I did chem and bio and they are a great combo! As long as you keep up with the revision and make sure to do lots of practice questions for each topic you should be fine. If it helps, Study mind offers free chem and bio practice questions and revision notes!
I hope this helps!MilenaUCL PFEStudy Mind

thank you for the link. i'll definitely check it out๐Ÿ™‚ i just hope we are eased into it as it is very easy for me to get overwhelmed.
thank you for the link. i'll definitely check it out๐Ÿ™‚ i just hope we are eased into it as it is very easy for me to get overwhelmed.

Heya!
No problem and don't worry, the schools will approach the subjects slowly :h: If you are too worried then you could start doing some pre-reading before the a-levels start in the summer just to get a bit ahead of the game! My friends always did it for subjects though it's not a must!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
ahh thank you sm for that!! srsly made me feel a lot better๐Ÿ™‚ i really enjoy chem and so im hoping that doesn't change going into yr 12/13. and that's great that your going onto optometry too!! i wish you the best. thanks again:smile:

you're welcome! if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest