The Student Room Group

Which is better as a used first car a diesel or a petrol one?

I have started looking for cars for when I pass my practical test and have decided that I am going to get a used car, but I am stuck as to which is better a diesel one or a petrol one. thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Amin7
I have started looking for cars for when I pass my practical test and have decided that I am going to get a used car, but I am stuck as to which is better a diesel one or a petrol one. thanks

petrol should be cheaper long term cause of fuel price and it’s better for the environment, i think some diesel cars have a more powerful engine?? i’m not an expert sorry. I’d suggest having a look on auto trader at second hand cars but i think it would be more important to figure out what style/model you’d like and figure out how much insurance would be on different models
Reply 2
Unless you are doing >50 mile trips 5 days a week I would definitely suggest petrol. Petrol will be revvier if youre getting manual, have more power (not torque) usually, cheaper on fuel for shorter journeys. If you get a diesel and do not use it for regular long journeys, it will clog up the DPF filter and require the garage to fix.
Reply 3
Original post by oligti
Unless you are doing >50 mile trips 5 days a week I would definitely suggest petrol. Petrol will be revvier if youre getting manual, have more power (not torque) usually, cheaper on fuel for shorter journeys. If you get a diesel and do not use it for regular long journeys, it will clog up the DPF filter and require the garage to fix.

This really changes depending on if his first car takes petrol or diesel
Reply 4
Original post by cardash
This really changes depending on if his first car takes petrol or diesel

??
Not quite sure what that means
Reply 5
Original post by oligti
??
Not quite sure what that means

for context check the quote in my message
meaning depends on the reading and the words used. they should appear the same as what I wrote on your computer but your results may vary and you may not see anything if by example you set your screen to off
Reply 6
Original post by cardash
for context check the quote in my message
meaning depends on the reading and the words used. they should appear the same as what I wrote on your computer but your results may vary and you may not see anything if by example you set your screen to off

You just quoted my whole message. Of course all my points rely on them choosing a petrol or diesel first car, that is what the post is about initially. None of the points however make sense with your first reply
Reply 7
Original post by oligti
You just quoted my whole message. Of course all my points rely on them choosing a petrol or diesel first car, that is what the post is about initially. None of the points however make sense with your first reply

I think diesel cars are better for students because they're safer and they'll learn faster than petrol cars, I think this may be a very wise move
Original post by cardash
You're creating a safer, more convenient transportation for students. That's a big thing in developing countries, when students walk around in buses and taxis when you don't have a good infrastructure in the public transport, it's a waste of money and it hurts them!

And a recent study from the International Business School shows cars can save students money. They can also save one school child from £18,000 to £36,000 in just 6 months, or as little as a pound in some very rare cases.

This is pretty much gibberish?
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort

I take the effort to reply to you and you insult me, how rude!

So are all of their posts. I get the impression it's AI generated gibberish to increase their reputation to then launch a spam attack.
Original post by cardash
I think diesel cars are better for students because they're safer and they'll learn faster than petrol cars, I think this may be a very wise move

Definitely not any safer than petrol cars.

Learn faster than petrol??????

Definitely petrol unless commuting
Original post by oligti
Definitely not any safer than petrol cars.

Learn faster than petrol??????

Definitely petrol unless commuting

I disagree. You have missed the main advantage of diesel cars over petrol cars. The reason diesel is so much better is the fuel cost difference is that you also buy less gas because the fuel cost reduction is so large. The difference is reduced, but the engine cost is greater than other options. Diesel also sells more. It is a good car. If someone like me wants to buy another car, I'm going to keep looking for it.
So what about the electric car? A few details:
The electric car is an electric vehicle unlike all the other electric car. It has a high range and it has power comparable to petrol. The electric car can go fast and its engines are able to produce 500 miles of continuous road mileage. It will travel 100 miles without stopping. The electric car can move at 50 mph and it can keep track of time by collecting fuel, collecting the data and then measuring it. It is not just as a car. On all other cars around the world, electric cars have become more and more popular. The power of electric cars is far more than any other car. In fact, the average car on the market today drives more electricity than many of the most powerful cars on the market today. In spite of all our great advances, diesel car is still not the fastest car on the market. The electric vehicle is also slower because it does not need as much power as the petrol car, and it can still function up to 100 miles faster than any other vehicle! But between only diesel and petrol it is clearly diesel.
Original post by IWMTom
So are all of their posts. I get the impression it's AI generated gibberish to increase their reputation to then launch a spam attack.

Yeah it does have an overall nonsense and intentionally obtuse vibe.

(Part of me still wants to know wtf kind of survey concluded it's normal for kids to pay hundreds of £ a day to get to school and back :confused: )
Yeah it does have an overall nonsense and intentionally obtuse vibe.

(Part of me still wants to know wtf kind of survey concluded it's normal for kids to pay hundreds of £ a day to get to school and back :confused: )

You actually are mean
Original post by cardash
You actually are mean

And you're a bot.
No, ask me a human question
I’m waiting

Original post by cardash
Original post by cardash

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Original post by IWMTom
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

??????? Why would I know

Quick Reply

Latest